Anyone for an RNZAF Skyhawk 'Kahu' panel and HUD?

Anthony in NZ

Hey CJP

It will be available through Roys website.  A few guys who put in some $$ at the start to get the ball rolling will get a set for free/minimal cost.  Then it will be up to Roy to go from there.  But I know he is pretty excited to put it into production.

I think the hold up is me now.....

We haven't printed the antenna's or sensors yet either

On 7/2/2018 at 1:56 AM, seiran01 said:

Kiwi guy #2 is waiting to post everything thanks to waiting on kiwi guy #3 to have his last item delivered... which is taking a while... so then kiwi guy #3 can forward the parts to kiwi guy #1. Confused yet? Me too!

And here I sit peeling my Kiwi fruit. Must I feel guilty?

• 4 weeks later...

Ok update.

Everything fits really well in the cockpit.  Although it has been without it's issues on my build :(  I have damaged and broken a couple of bits on my kit in the process....grrrrrrr.  Anyhoo, its for the greater good so everyone can have access to this cockpit upgrade.  

Might convert my kit into a 2 seater now.......maybe:hmmm:

Might try and snap a pic before I box it all up and post it to Roy.

Cheers

Anthony

Alrighty, another update.

No photo just yet as I am having some issues trying to get the rear of the inst panel fitting properly.  I can get the front panel, coaming and HUD together, and it looks awesome, but I have pulled it all apart again because the back piece that has the rear of the instrument casings is proving troublesome.  Mostly because the tolerances are '0' as it is all scaled off the actual panel. 

I have confirmed all the inst and CRT screen sizes for Roy's decals to go into production, so progress there.

Roy has told me not to rush and get it right.  So this weekend I am doing some more trimming of the rear piece in an effort to getting it all fitting.  If that dosent work I have a 'plan B' which involves making the main panel thicker and having rear casings cast separately..... I have already snapped a main panel in half...thank goodness I had a spare!

Glad I dont do this for a living LOL

Thanks for your encouragement guys, it helps a lot!  I dont think I will ever take a project on like this ever again.

15 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Alrighty, another update.

No photo just yet as I am having some issues trying to get the rear of the inst panel fitting properly.  I can get the front panel, coaming and HUD together, and it looks awesome, but I have pulled it all apart again because the back piece that has the rear of the instrument casings is proving troublesome.  Mostly because the tolerances are '0' as it is all scaled off the actual panel. 

I have confirmed all the inst and CRT screen sizes for Roy's decals to go into production, so progress there.

Roy has told me not to rush and get it right.  So this weekend I am doing some more trimming of the rear piece in an effort to getting it all fitting.  If that dosent work I have a 'plan B' which involves making the main panel thicker and having rear casings cast separately..... I have already snapped a main panel in half...thank goodness I had a spare!

Glad I dont do this for a living LOL

Thanks for your encouragement guys, it helps a lot!  I dont think I will ever take a project on like this ever again.

Now you know how I feel sometimes...LOL It can be frustrating for sure, but when all is said and done...you have accomplished something few others would attempt.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I know progress is painfully slow.  

Harold, I dont know how you do it mate!  Or any of you detail set pattern makers.  The few I have done have consumed ALL my braincells!

Anyway, whilst it dosent look like much progress...there actually has been.  I had to re-think the main panel set up.  Long story short is that I have had to put a plasti-card backing on the printed piece and then trim to fit inside the fuselage properly.  Trimming away the excess from the kit to make room for the new coaming/glareshield.  I am finally now happy with the fit in the Trumpeter kit.  The HUD pieces should be fairly easy to finish off now.  The modeller will have to add rod to the rear surface of the panel after the coaming has been fitted to represent the backs of the instruments.  But I suspect we will have the correct number cast for you to cut and glue in the desired locations. As well as the 'T' handles.

I'll try and take a pic of the cockpit sitting in the kit next.....I'm supposed to be working at my paying job, LOL so I dont know how soon I can set it up to do!

IMG_0680_zpskggbyvwj.jpg

We are nearly there chaps!

Cheers

Anthony