Mig-19S

csavaglio

I've been wanting to do a Mig-19 for a while and finally took the plunge. It's kind of a modest start, just cleaning up the major parts and getting the big parts fitted and together. On these older Trumpeter kits, I like to get the airframe pieces together so that stuff can be dry and sandable while I'm going through other parts.

The plan is to use some brass tube for the exhaust pipes, which solves that nasty seam issue. I'm leaning towards a silver bird in Soviet markings, but I also have the Linden Hill Iraqi fighters sheet, which has a bare metal Mig on it, but it shares the national insignia with the Hunter, which is what I originally intended the sheet for. On the other hand, I can probably piece markings together for just about any Mig-19. There's a cool looking Bulgarian scheme out there too for it. Maybe a red/silver aerobatic plane. Not really sure yet.

I also wanted to get the canopy cleaned up. The Pavla cockpit comes with a nice vac canopy, but I want to save it for the PM kit. I sanded away the seam, then polished it out and dipped it in Future.

My plan is to use an old Eduard PE set for the interior.

Chris

IMG_1669.jpg

IMG_1670.jpg

IMG_1671.jpg

Gets the rusty gears going here making me want to pull my kit out of the large pile of doom and start in again. I always thought it is the best looking out of all the older MiGs. Will be watching with interest.

Some of the Cuban ones look nice.

I agree, this is a great aircraft. I did mine up as a Soviet PVO bird in NMF around the time of the U-2 shoot down.

Tim W.

I can honestly say I have never seen this type of aircraft before. 17's and 21's yep but if you had shown me a picture of one of these I would have had no idea.

Google search shows it to be a great looking aeroplane. I'm sure it will look great when done. Watching.

Brad

Something had to go inbetween 17 and 21! I personally think all of the Migs, especially the early types, -15, -17, -19, and -21 are really cool looking planes. I wish someone would come out with a modern kit of the Mig-15 and 17. The old Trumpeter kits are their first 1/32 kits and pretty brutal to get together looking good. This one is infinitely better than the Mig-15 I built a few years ago as far as fit and details.

Chris

I just pulled my kit out to look at the exhaust issue because I couldn't remember AND HOLY COW! what were they thinking!? That definitely needs some reaming or aftermarket. Just my 2 cents.

I think I finally settled on doing a North Vietnamese J-6 with green camo over natural metal. Should be a pretty interesting paint scheme.

I'm actually pretty embarrassed to show this, but here's my solution to the exhaust. The brass tube basically replaces the rear section of the kit's engine. The tube is actually pretty close to the same inside diameter of the kit parts despite being much smaller outside. Since I like most of my planes closed up, none of that can be seen. The rest of the engines were assembled just so they have a place to mount and position them. The Apoxie is there to support the engines so the tail pipes sit right. The Tamiya tape is because I measured and cut the pipe too short....I didn't take into account one of the engine parts. The tape is supporting the butt joint and the seam falls behind the burner ring, so it's not visible from the outside of the plane. No harm, no foul, but it looks sloppy in progress.

Because it's a J-6, I'm swapping out the rear tail section with the parabrake parts.

Chris

IMG_1672.jpg

Some work on the nose gear well.....

The pressure tanks in the kit were soft looking and I didn't feel like cleaning them up, so I used some metal craft beads and styrene rod to make new ones. I also added one that I noticed in photos that wasn't in the kit. The placement in the instructions wasn't like the ones I saw in the photos, so I got them as close as I could tell to where they should be. I also added some lines with solder and styrene.

Chris

IMG_1674.jpg

IMG_1675.jpg

IMG_1678.jpg

Finally took the plunge and worked on the cockpit. It looks more grimy in person. I guess the flash washes it out because it looks awfully clean here. Oh well....

I used some scratched bits, some of the old Eduard PE, and some of the kit details I liked better than the PE stuff.

Chris

IMG_1679-1.jpg

IMG_1680.jpg

IMG_1683.jpg

IMG_1686.jpg

IMG_1687-1.jpg

IMG_1688-1.jpg

IMG_1689.jpg