1:24 Trump Hurricane IID (Oh Big Guns)

TaffyMan

Hi Folks and Folk-ess's

Been real lazy with updates so thought it was about time I pulled my finger out and did some updates. In fact this is going to be a massive update! :frantic:

Big thanks for the comments guys and Antony great story – it's a shame these first hand experiences are getting more rare as time ticks on.

I am sure I have a pic of X in the background of a pic – you can just make her out in the squadron line. Also think I came across a profile of her somewhere?

Found a great video on Youtube showing the Can Openers in action – Think this is a training exercise as they look to be flying a bit high from what I have been told!!!!!

So on to the build. After letting the gloss dry for a good couple of days it was time to do more weathering.

Breaking out those oil paints to do some spot paint filtering funky thing! :wicked:

This starts with making my pallet out of a folded sheet of paper to absorb some of the linseed oil – to help with the drying time.

I liked the effect it achieved on my Sea Fury so I thought I would give it another bash.

086-Hurricane-IID_zps49c5dc73.jpg

Here goes!!!! Tally Ho!

As this is a big plane I will break her down into areas rather than going for the top then the bottom. So we start the spotting on the wings – first the lighter or highlight colour. My thinking is to do lighter warmer colours and white on the areas closer to the fuselage then more darker towards the wing tips – I was think that the wing tips would pick up less muck than the area closer in towards the prop.

087-Hurricane-IID_zps302afc92.jpg

088-Hurricane-IID_zps1828420a.jpg

The way I do this is using a small chisel brush to merge and mix the colours, not too much, I try to keep some of the individual colour values, rather than a big mixed blended murk. I start to work it along the inside of the panels and lines. Then mix these toward the centre of the panels with a round brush and start to sweep it back in the direction of the airflow. Wiping the brush clean each time as I go. This is to reduce the amount of paint.

The final bit is sweep back with a clean bit of kitchen towel that is very, very, very, very slightly damp with artists Turpentine, using a clean bit each time. Then I will go back over some areas with another bit of clean kitchen towel where I want it to be lighter or more smeared streaky, artistic license here.

089-Hurricane-IID_zps6c9bb1cd.jpg

After a cup of tea and some biscuits (quite a lot :innocent: , chocky one dunked uhmmmm!) about the right time I find to let, the by now, very thin paint layer to settle and dry a bit. I moved on to doing the darker or shadow tones. Using streaks of Raw Umber and Burnt Umber, note no black, I find black a bit harsh, with a small chisel brush I brush randomly along panel lines and also other points that I think need some dark streaks. I also used some Raw Siena in the prop wash areas.

090-Hurricane-IID_zps0e5d204b.jpg

Once again using the medium sized round brush I smear and mix the colours along and around the panel lines. Then using more clean kitchen towel I wipe it back in the airflow direction.

091-Hurricane-IID_zpsab17203a.jpg

Uhmmm I'm liking!!! – I also really am liking this method as it brings out the panels etc in a less harsh way than a pin wash.

I will return later to do some more detailed bits.

Okay back with more in a mo - Told you this would be big-un

Taff :D

Okay back with Part two -A few more to go yet! :whistle:

Right moving on to the fuselage – The only issue I had was the rear canvas area uhhhmmmm no panels to follow? So I just made random dots and we will see what happens

092-Hurricane-IID_zps92932027.jpg

I used more whites and light colours to the top and darker warmer to the bottom.

Lighter areas smeared.

093-Hurricane-IID_zpsea56cd10.jpg

All wiped back – Not looking so shiny new now!!!!

094-Hurricane-IID_zpse2bab343.jpg

Dark on – once again the canvas on the back end issue. Just added some random dots.

095-Hurricane-IID_zps8784ed7d.jpg

Smeared and blended with a brush – bit more dark around the exhausts

096-Hurricane-IID_zps41da3100.jpg

Wiped back. Couldn't resist sticking the nose on. :thumbsup:

097-Hurricane-IID_zpsc41667c6.jpg

So that's the top sorted just need to go off and leave it for a good few days plus! - too give the oil paint time to dry off.

Okay 3 days – hummmmm  :whistle:  time to start the next project whilst I am waiting!!!!!!! Or at least the free mini-me that you get in the box!

See you in a mo with more!

Taff :D

Back - Part three

On to the bottom – You can see the Mini-me in the back. Looking forward to tackling her big sister. :D

098-Hurricane-IID_zps73358e5e.jpg

I have masked of where the gun cover goes – my thinking is that there wouldn't be any dirt in there.

Right on to the dot filter. Same process as the top with more much more muck around the centre and less applied towards the wing tips. I have also added a couple of blue colours to work with the Azure Blue. One light and one dark, I kept most of the blue dots to the outer wing areas, but also applied some random ones closer in.

Hope this is not to boring for you – Just in case I will just say it with pictures!

099-Hurricane-IID_zps4632211b.jpg

100-Hurricane-IID_zpsbfd6fce0.jpg

102-Hurricane-IID_zps981db115.jpg

Moving on to the dark panel lines and bits

103-Hurricane-IID_zps4fb20b30.jpg

104-Hurricane-IID_zpsa554fc32.jpg

105-Hurricane-IID_zps8b08d6ec.jpg

And Voila!!!!! As if by magic a dirty bottom done. :clap2:

Enjoy more to come! :D

Oh No Theres more - Told you it was a biggy!

Then double Doh :crying: noticed that I must have been to vigorous in my wiping or to much turpentine. Which ever, I went through the gloss layer and – well pictures says it better – invented a few new swear word combinations!!!!!

106-Hurricane-IID_zps9362fad7.jpg

So it was a case of trying to re-mask – had a bugger's own game trying to line it up. Got it as close as I could. Then re-sprayed, slightly out but can live with it. :thumbsup:

107-Hurricane-IID_zps5effaeba.jpg

Then it was re-cover with MM gloss this time – hoping it might be a bit more durable than the floor polish. Just added a bit of very gentle weathering with oils to blend.

I started to do some of the more detailed work with oils and some chalks. Not that confident with the airbrush to do the exhaust stains so I used a mixture of oils – also did an experiment of mixing some of the oil colours with chalks, seemed to work okay, it stabilized the chalk. So it doesn't just blow away as you fix down with varnish. It seemed to work okay. Added lots of oil stain's and leaks coming from the engine area.

Then it was time to get the hanger wire out I fed the wire through the tail plane holes. I give her the final spray of MM Semi Gloss. This was allowed to settle for a while and then it was given a light dusting of MM Matt all over to flatten it back a bit. I gave it an extra coat of Matt just to the top of the Fus and Wings. Also sprayed a coat of Matt along the exhaust stains so they are really flat against the slightly semi gloss of the Fus.

She's dangling Mr Mannering

108-Hurricane-IID_zpsffb79bb8.jpg

109-Hurricane-IID_zps31fc0205.jpg

Time to start putting the finishing bits on her. Exhaust stacks go on.

110-Hurricane-IID_zps4135efa6.jpg

Tail planes on.

112-Hurricane-IID_zps1adbf6fb.jpg

Few nearly there - but more to come

Taff :wacko:

YEAAHH last one for now!!! :D

Gun sight in – I thought I was being clever by not fitting it before the front windscreen and risking knocking it off……. Nahhhhh Nah! :BANGHEAD2:  It took me about an hour and half to get it in to position with more than one or two curse words thrown in for good measure. It didn't make it happen any faster – but I did feel a bit better in the process.

In the end I had to use two blobs of blue tack – one, off of the seat to stop it falling back and one from the Fus edge to stop it moving side ways. Then, now that it was more stable and controlled, I guided it in to place with a cocktail stick. Then very quickly glued it as it was at last in place and steady!!!

111-Hurricane-IID_zps3a7e6b0c.jpg

113-Hurricane-IID_zpsa3a94728.jpg

Broke off one of the landing flaps – also keep knocking them so seems to be a constant repair battle. Also it hit some things on the way down to the floor so need to repair some paintwork before the refit.

114-Hurricane-IID_zps650434e7.jpg

115-Hurricane-IID_zps115ab6d9.jpg

Gun pod one on

116-Hurricane-IID_zps51e8ffe4.jpg

Fed the wires up into the wing and fixed the other gun in place

117-Hurricane-IID_zps30e634c6.jpg

Finally got the under cart on – seemed like ages since I had finished these so it is nice to get them on at last.

118-Hurricane-IID_zps4aa2c27a.jpg

Oh her first steps – couldn't resist putting the spinner on to see – Uhmmmm nice.

119-Hurricane-IID_zps0612ac5d.jpg

Well I need to make a confession - I have finished her just haven't taken any pics yet – She's even had her first outing at the Milton Keynes show the other week.

So now need to start pulling the Dio together……. But keep being distracted by the silver flamethrower at the moment. So need to get her to a point where I am waiting for stuff to dry then I will get back to this one!

Suppose I should start up a thread on this as well – need to get the pics for that one sorted first.

So till next time any comments always welcome – Happy Modeling and hope it wasn't to long and boring

Till next time - Happy Days Taff :D

Dam good Taff. Been following and it kept getting better and better !Very good representation of the real deal.....Harv :popcorn:  :popcorn:

Wow that looks great. The oil paint rendering really made it come to life.

One question, how did you manage to do the exhausts like that? Was it pigments, or did you airbrush it on?

Matt  :frantic:

Guest Peterpools

Taff

SWEET! Just love the effect of the oils and don't mind saying I'll be borrowing it for the Sufa a bit down the road.

Keep 'm coming

Peter