Tamiya F4U-1 Corsair finished 5/14/15

Daywalker

Frank I've been waiting to see your updates but somehow managed to miss them till now!

Great work so far, the seat and exhaust system look splendid, which seat harness is it?

I knew someone would do an open cowl set after I'd built mine, One of the reasons I closed mine up was the lack of kit detail in that area.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers...

Do you hold stock in a tweezer company? :)

Hi Kevin!  Nope, but I am able to score them cheaply through work.  

Go Matt, go !.........Harv :popcorn:

Hi Harv, it's Frank actually!

You might say doing all of those pipes was.... exhausting?

Thanks. I'm here all week. Please tip your waitresses generously.

david

***GROAN"""

Frank I've been waiting to see your updates but somehow managed to miss them till now!

Great work so far, the seat and exhaust system look splendid, which seat harness is it?

I knew someone would do an open cowl set after I'd built mine, One of the reasons I closed mine up was the lack of kit detail in that area.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers...

Hi Mike, thank you so much for looking in!  For the seat harness, I used buckles from HGW, and strips cut from $1 bills for the straps.  The worn "money" straps fold and crease a lot like real seat belts, take paint and washes very well, and seem to cut better than the printed HGW belts.  

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the lack of updates lately, life has a way of keeping us from the bench sometimes.  Have managed some time here and there, and I am now calling the engine finished.  One of the problems with skipping around in the instructions is forgetting to add something which cannot be added later, and I ran into this with the engine.  Somehow, I completely forgot to add the mid-pipes for the intake and exhaust, which means building it with the cowl flaps open is not an option, as those missing parts would be noticeable then.  So, closed cowl flaps it is!  N problem, should make the painting around that area easier this way.  I have begun painting up the inside of the cowl parts, to attach those soon hopefully.  Sure feels good to make a bit of progress, however small it is!

001-4.jpg

002-4.jpg

003-4.jpg

To the kit engine, I added the Barracudacast resin engine set, very nice set which fits better than I had hoped for.  They did forget one little detail, the outlets for three wires on the backside of each magneto.  I was able to add these easily, and the fact they are located in the back makes it less noticeable that they do not look exactly like the other ones.  I also added a Pratt & Whitney decal to the crankcase from Fundekals as well as a generic data plate to the lower left side.  A few extra wires and some ignition wires and she is good to go!

Edited by Daywalker

Guest Peterpools

Frank

Awesome work on the big P&W. The detailing and weathering are simply perfectly done.

Keep 'em coming

Peter