JA 37 D(I) - 1/24 ---- SOD

11 minutes ago, Thomas Lund said:

Jawdropping work there !!! Huge respect...

Is there anywhere one could find a "Metal working for dummies" to get started on using metal the way you do ???

Very good point! Perhaps we need a collated 'litho plating' technique post in the LSP techniques section (if we do not already have one) from the likes of Peter, Rainer and other litho luminaries who could guide the way for us lesser mortals with their experiences?

Derek

31 minutes ago, Derek B said:

Very good point! Perhaps we need a collated 'litho plating' technique post in the LSP techniques section (if we do not already have one) from the likes of Peter, Rainer and other litho luminaries who could guide the way for us lesser mortals with their experiences?

Derek

2nd that... would be hugely appreciated !!! I'm looking at my starfighter, back to these metal work pictures, back to the starfighter all the while I am mumbling "hmmmmm"

1 hour ago, Thomas Lund said:

BTW one of the big questions for me is "what material is that"... 

Well, aluminium comes in various alloys. I use semi-hard, soft and very soft alloys (so I don't need to anneal the stuff, because I was not very successful at annealing so far). The very soft aluminium is embossing foil, used by many ladies for decorative work.

For wings or airfoils in general I use the semi-hard stuff and for more complex shapes the soft or very soft alloys.

I'm sure Peter (airscale) can tell you much more about all this.

Cheers

Rainer

On 4/27/2021 at 11:07 AM, Thomas Lund said:

Is there anywhere one could find a "Metal working for dummies" to get started on using metal the way you do ???

18 hours ago, Rainer Hoffmann said:

I'm sure Peter (airscale) can tell you much more about all this.

Cheers

Rainer

I did a couple of tutorials a few years back

Skinning 1/32 models in metal - a tutorial

Skinning models in metal - tutorial on compound curves

both are now blighted by the photobucket watermark as i moved to imageshack, but may still be useful

Peter

8 hours ago, airscale said:

I did a couple of tutorials a few years back

Skinning 1/32 models in metal - a tutorial

Skinning models in metal - tutorial on compound curves

both are now blighted by the photobucket watermark as i moved to imageshack, but may still be useful

Peter

At the risk of a bit of obnoxious self-promotion, both of these tutorials made it into Peter's eBook about building his Spitfire:

hnCoWT.jpg

https://www.klp.com.au/product/building-race-80-spitfire-mk-xive-in-1-18-scale/

Kev

• 1 month later...

Dear fellow modellers,

I don't have much to show, but I wasn't completely lazy. I've prepped the wings for skinning and detailing the MLG bays. That was, somewhat surprisingly, quite a lot of work. The main problem was, that all the drawings of the wing I have are somehow not quite correct in some respect (nothing new here ... ). All the drawings seem to be based on Björn Karlström's drawing published in "Flygplansritningar 2" and, consequently, show the same errors. So I did my own drawings based on the meager photographic evidence I have. I then transfered the panel lines to the wing surface with a black sharpie. Now the fun can begin. Skinning and detailing the wing and the MLG bays.

Just a single image to show you that there is some (little) progress:

JA-37_wing_07.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Rainer

Edited by Rainer Hoffmann
Typos

• Rainer Hoffmann changed the title to JA-37 D(I) - 1/24 Wings prepped for skinning and detailing 06.06.21
16 minutes ago, scvrobeson said:

Any progress is a good thing. 

I keep telling me that ...

17 minutes ago, scvrobeson said:

I'm guessing that the Sharpie lines are all for template purposes?

Matt 

Not quite, Matt. I'll be using a printout of my drawings for templates. The Sharpie lines are just meant to be a rough guide for placing the panels. I hope it will work out as planned. I keep my fingers crossed.

Cheers

Rainer

6 hours ago, Rainer Hoffmann said:

Dear fellow modellers,

I don't have much to show, but I wasn't completely lazy. I've prepped the wings for skinning and detailing the MLG bays. That was, somewhat surprisingly, quite a lot of work. The main problem was, that all the drawings of the wing I have are somehow not quite correct in some respect (nothing new here ... ). All the drawings seem to be based on Björn Karlström's drawing published in "Flygplansritningar 2" and, consequently, show the same errors. So I did my own drawings based on the meager photographic evidence I have. I then transfered the panel lines to the wing surface with a black sharpie. Now the fun can begin. Skinning and detailing the wing and the MLG bays.

Just a single image to show you that there is some (little) progress:

JA-37_wing_07.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Rainer

Sometimes the 'little' progress are often the most intense and effective.  But your efforts will show at the end of the build.  Also if you dont address them,  as you know it will will always bug you.  Anyway a craftsman like you already knows that.

Amazing work and thanks for the update, I bet doing those wings feel like you are making progress.

Keep it up, I am a long time admirer of this build...

Cheers Anthony

23 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Keep it up, I am a long time admirer of this build...

Cheers Anthony

Thanks a lot, Anthony!

18 hours ago, brahman104 said:

I'm with Anthony, I know what seems like a little progress can take an awful long time to make happen. Keep up the outstanding work, can't wait to see more metal magic!

Craig

More metal is due to come. Not so sure about the magic, though. Thanks for your kind words, Craig.

Cheers

Rainer

• 3 weeks later...

Dear fellow modellers,

I'm still researching the panel details and rivet/fastener patterns of the Viggen wings. And while I prepared the drawings for the panels I found myself looking at some of those panels that had always puzzled me. Have a look at those panels I marked in yellow:

JA-37_Wing_bottom_port_kl.jpg

What did the designers drink when they made up these strangely shaped panels? The panels on the top of the wing are similar.

At closer inspection there are no rivets or fasteners visible on these panels. Did they glue them to the structure? Nope, probably not back in the sixties.

And then it dawned on me (is that proper English??): These panels are not panels at all. They are part of the front spar, part of the main spar and part of the major rib just outboard of the MLG bay.In these areas they form the upper (and lower) surface of the wing. And actually on NMF birds you can clearly (well, not so clearly actually) see, that the material is different from the rest of the panels.

Puzzle solved. Those Swedish engineers amaze me again and again.

This may be old news for you guys, but when I realized this it made my day.

Ok, some more research is needed for the rivet/fastener pattern on the lower surface of the wing. But I almost finished the drawing for the upper surface:

JA-37_Wing_top_starboard_kl.jpg

No more excuses not to start cutting metal, I suppose.

Thanks for looking!

Cheers

Rainer