JA 37 D(I) - 1/24 ---- SOD

1 hour ago, Rainer Hoffmann said:

Thanks a lot for your kind word, gents. It's very encouraging. I started this build in 2013 and the roll-out is not even in sight ...

Cheers

Rainer

Well, Rainer, that is some phenomenal craftmanship, and I am also glad to see you back in the saddle. I would not worry too much about the rollout of the completed model, as sometimes it’s as much about the journey as it is the destination. Keep up the stellar work.

THOR    :ph34r:

10 minutes ago, Derek B said:

Hi Rainer,

You couldn't believe how happy I was to see this thread again - thank you!

Amazing work (you have already inspired me to have a go at a SAAB product in this scale at some point :) ).

Cheers

Derek

Thanks, Derek. And yes, it's the one and only scale for me. Then again, a bit bigger than 1:24 is tempting :beer:

Cheers

Rainer

On 10/22/2020 at 3:31 PM, Rainer Hoffmann said:

Thanks, Derek. And yes, it's the one and only scale for me. Then again, a bit bigger than 1:24 is tempting :beer:

Cheers

Rainer

Rainer,

Going bigger is the more challenging, but more rewarding, way to go! :)

It is people like you (and Peter and many others) which inspire me to improve, even in what is probably now my relatively late modelling life, so thank you.

I have still to complete my 1/32 scratch build SAAB MFi-9B and SAAB 210 Lilldraken first before I can consider anything in 1/24 scale, but it is a very addictive scale (as is 1/18 scale, which I can see you venturing into!).

please stay inspired so that you can share that inspiration with the rest of us (along with your modelling ingenuity; one of the other joys that you kindly and freely share with us all).

Derek 

Edited by Derek B

• 2 months later...

Dear fellow modellers,

here is an update on the thrust reverser section of my Jaktviggen.

What took you so long, you may ask. Well, the inner parts of the thrust reverser went in like a charm. They literally fell into place and a drop of glue was all that was needed to keep them from falling out again. This  was quite unexpected because dry fitting was nearly impossible and I just had to hope that my math was correct. Miraculously it was ...

Now, the outer skin panels were a different story. They fought me all the way. Somtimes I forgot to punch a row of rivets or I f &%$_$ ed them up when I tried to glue them on or they just didn't conform to the shape of the compound surface of the section. Anyway, after ripping them of a gazillion times, I'm happy now.

But first another image of some parts I made. The one on the left I had to do again as the shape of my first attempt at this part didn't quite fit. The two parts on the right are fairings that cover ... I have no idea, what they cover. Perhaps they are for aerodynamic purposes only.

TR_15.jpg

Note the two sets of 5 small air scoops in each fairing. They are found only on JA-37's, or at least I haven't seen them on other variants so far.

Here are the pics of the thrust reverser as now:

TR_16.jpg

The view from below with the characteristic RWR and corrugatet part beneath it.

TR_17.jpg

And a view from the side showing the typical discolorization pattern of the inside of the reverser.

And some more:

TR_18.jpg

TR_19.jpg

TR_20.jpg

TR_21.jpg

This last one shows the fairing in place. It needs some tweaking to fit, but that should be no problem.

Here is one last image showing a rear view:

TR_22.jpg

The gap between the inner and outer skins of the reverser is way out of scale. I estimate that it should have been something like 0.3 mm. I knew right away that I wouldn't be able to come even close to that. Actually the gap is about 1 mm wide. That is ok for me and it looks rather convincing when you see it in the flesh. In that picture it looks, well, not so good. The curse of the macro lens.

That's it for now. As always, thanks for looking!

Cheers

Rainer

Edited by Rainer Hoffmann

• Rainer Hoffmann changed the title to JA-37 D(I) - 1/24 Thrust Reverser Update
1 hour ago, chuck540z3 said:

I thought I would check in on your project after our exchange in my thread.  Whoa!  Scratch made everything?  You are a crazy man, but in a good way and your work is outstanding!

Cheers,

Chuck

Yes, all scratch made. Thanks a lot for your kind words, Chuck!

1 hour ago, Out2gtcha said:

Excellent! The pressing of the reverse rivets, and the pressed roof of the interior of the exhaust canister is amazing!  Like everything about this

Very much appreciated, Brian!

Cheers

Rainer

Hi Rainer,

I can't believe that those are home printed decals on your thrust reverser petals - amazing! :o

There are some really talented modellers (no, more than that, amazing artisans) here on LSP, of which you are clearly one.

Thank you for sharing your gift with us lesser mortals! :bow:

Derek

15 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Mind blowingly awesome!

Thanks a lot, Tony. Lots of tiny flaws, though ...

14 hours ago, Derek B said:

Hi Rainer,

I can't believe that those are home printed decals on your thrust reverser petals - amazing! :o

There are some really talented modellers (no, more than that, amazing artisans) here on LSP, of which you are clearly one.

Thank you for sharing your gift with us lesser mortals! :bow:

Derek

Thanks for your kind words, Derek. I like indeed how the thrust reverser petals came out. Quite satisfactory. Other parts however are far from perfect.

12 hours ago, MARU5137 said:

Didn't realize  I had been watching this build for 7 years.

ASTOUNDING  workmanship. 

:bow:

Seven years indeed. Amazing how time flies when you are having fun ...

12 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Really pleased to see this one (and you) back again, Rainer! Exceptional work as always.

Kev

Thank you very much, Kev.

11 hours ago, jenshb said:

Lovely piece of metalwork there Rainer.

Great that you like it.

Thank you all for your continued interest in this seemingly never ending story. But my mojo is back and there is hope. Then again, there is always hope.

Cheers

Rainer