JA 37 D(I) - 1/24 ---- SOD

Hi all,

I wasn't happy with the Bränsletank. The fins were not quite in the correct position (a bit too far aft), the brackets didn't fit well and the weld seams were too pronounced (why didn't you guys tell me? :fight: ). So off came the fins and the weld seams and it was back to sanding...

Now I'm (almost) happy. Here is the tank after a coat of primer. I didn't use Mr. surfacer 1200 this time but the cheapo stuff from the local DIY shop (about 1/3 of the price of the Gunze stuff). It works well for me, so I guess I will stick to that for the future.

ET_08.jpg

...and then some preshading.

ET_09.jpg

I'm doing F4-52 near the end of it's service life and I can tell you that aircraft and the bränsletank did look used. Almost abused. I'm trying to replicate that look, so next is painting and weathering.

By the way, would anybody know if and what stencils, markings etc. used to be on the Viggen external tanks? I've seen a pic of one tank with a 3 digit number on (at???) the rear end, but I don't know if all tanks had that.

Any comments are welcome.

Thanks for looking.

Rainer

Edited by Rainer Hoffmann

Polyester feinspachtel - that's what I was after. I was afraid to buy something that would not only not work, but destroy the plastic or the project in general... Thanks

Thomas, make sure to buy a small can. Mixing this stuff is a bit weird because you have to use 2 - 4% of hardener, which is impossible to gauge even remotely correct when mixing small quantities. I always run out of hardener way before the other component is gone.

Cheers

Rainer

• 4 weeks later...

Here is the last progress report on the Bränsletank for a couple of weeks because SWIMBO and me will be on a four week photo trip.

I shot the first coats of paint on the tank. It's not yet quite the look I want to achieve, but getting there. Here are two pics:

ET_10.jpg

ET_11.jpg

If you think it's overdone then have a look at Jan Jorgensens pictures of F4-52. You'll see, that I'm not even close. Those tanks really were dirty!

Have a good time and thanks for looking.

Cheers

Rainer

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Rainer,

I am eagerly awaiting the next installment as well  :popcorn:

I have also been away from home and busy at work, which has also halted my Lilldraken for the time being (that and the fact that I am busy trying to get my next EMD release out!).

BTW, I have worked out how I will break down my Viggen parts (well, sort of!).

Cheers

Derek

Good to know, Derek. I'm veeery interested!

Cheers

Rainer

Hi Rainer,

Well, essentially, it will be like the full size aircraft, with the fuselage fore and aft sections broken at the same point (so I will have a two part fuselage). This means that I will be able to make the intakes without too much of a problem (and I can easily make the AJ and JA versions by the simple expediency of removing a few millimetres off the back section). The wing will be a one-piece affair.

Derek

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Rainer,

Well, essentially, it will be like the full size aircraft, with the fuselage fore and aft sections broken at the same point (so I will have a two part fuselage). This means that I will be able to make the intakes without too much of a problem (and I can easily make the AJ and JA versions by the simple expediency of removing a few millimetres off the back section). The wing will be a one-piece affair.

Derek

Hi Derek,

I've been thinking along similar lines. But due to the size of the model in 1/24 I will break it down into even more sections (FWD fuselage with cockpit, center fuselage with engine, AFT fuselage with afterburner, thrust reverser). This will require some carefull alignment of the sections but I'm confident that it can be done.

I didn't spend much time on the forums lately and I probably missed a lot of great builds. Hope to catch up soon.

In the meantime I completely reworked the cross sections. I'm sure they are not 100% correct but I'll modify them as I go along. Here is the drawing:

JA-37_frames.jpg

And here is the drawing that I use to cut the frames from 1mm styrene sheet:

JA-37_frames_2.jpg

I am not at all sure about the cockpit sidewalls (frames C through F), so those frames will certainly be modified. Frame H doesn't look quite right either... Anyway, I have started the fuselage center section (frames L - P2) as shown in the drawing below (the yellow section)

JA-37_Side_view_Port.jpg

And here is the first hardware (bells, whistles, trumpets...).

frames_L-P1.jpg

In an attempt to minimize the weight of that beast I drilled holes into the frames (probably quite useless, but at least I tried :innocent: ).

It took me about four hours to do these six frames... So be patient, this model won't be finished soon, if ever. But I believe you guessed that.

Thanks for looking.

Rainer