JA 37 D(I) - 1/24 ---- SOD

Thanks for your kind words, gents.

You've taken to this metal work business very well Rainer. The fairing looks spot on. Your panels are so clean and flat. How are you embossing them without distortion?

The front of that compressor looks ace too. I'm going to have to go back through your build again to see how you made it :)

Craig 

Craig, there is little distortion after the riveting process. I put the panels on a glass surface when I do the riveting. That keeps them essentially flat and the rivets don't get too deep.

Cheers

Rainer

• 3 years later...

Dear fellow modellers,

I have been absent from the bench (not from LSP, but in "read only" mode) for about three years. There were more important things to take care of and my mojo ... oh, well, I guess you all know what I'm talking about. Anyway, I'm back but progress on the Viggen will be slow nevertheless.

I've been working on the thrust reverser section, namely on the aluminium parts that will make up the inner and outer panels.

Outer panels:

TR_12.jpg

Inner panels:

TR_13.jpg

If you are familiar with the Viggen thrust reverser you will recognize the parts. Top right is the reverser plate that inevitably droops when the hydraulic pressure is gone. Top left is one of the fixed panels (a spare) that shows the typical heat discolorization pattern. I made this up in Photoshop and used a homemade decal. This is only a test specimen, but I'm quite happy with it.

Next is decaling the panels in the middle row.

Other panels:

TR_14.jpg

The macro lens is unforgiving. In reality these panels are way smaller than in the image and they look quite convincing. Of course they will need some paint to simulate the soot of the exhaust gases.

As always thanks for looking!

Cheers

Rainer

Edited by Rainer Hoffmann

• Rainer Hoffmann changed the title to JA-37 D(I) - 1/24 resurrected October 2020
28 minutes ago, zaxos345 said:

Awesome comeback!!!!!!

John

Thanks a lot John!

9 minutes ago, Starfighter said:

Rainer, it's so great to see you are back - I hope the mojo is flowing again as I can't wait to see more updates! 

Don't get your hopes too high, Ben. But it's a beginning and I'm really looking forward to getting the thrust reverser done. It's my favourite subassembly of the Viggen.

Cheers

Rainer

Ummmmmmm, I just crapped and soild myself.... WTF... WOW!!

I remember when this got started way back when and now I'm reminded of the Beautiful work on this!

I get in trouble here do to my choice of words but I have none now..except.. Fu..ing Phenomenal Execution! Damn Gorgeous Build!

Best to you Bro!

Alfonso