JA 37 D(I) - 1/24 ---- SOD

4 hours ago, Treehugger said:

Oh, wow, this is such a fascinating project. Best of wishes! :) Some jets have patches of additional stiffening material applied on the outside of their wings and such, I wonder if the Viggen had any.

Btw, I like the drawings showing the panel lines, I 'll use those for my cheaper Italeri Viggen in 1:48, with raised panel lines, which I will remove and re-scribe into the primer paint.

The Jaktviggen indeed has some additional stiffeners not found on the other versions. The main structural difference (apart from the fuselage plug to accomodate the longer RM-8B engine) is the thicker main spar of the wing that actually protrudes obove the wing surface.

Note that my drawings are for a JA-37. There are quite a few (sometimes rather subtle) differences compared to other Viggen variants. So please check your references!

Cheers

Rainer

16 hours ago, airscale said:

:popcorn:  ready when you are Rainer :)

Peter

Peter, I hope to have some progress in the near future. My vacation starts tomorrow and the weather over here is horrible, so some bench time might be possible if SWMBO doesn't find any projects for me :coolio:

Cheers

Rainer

• 1 month later...

Hi gents,

it took me a while, but here is some progress. The main reason that I couldn't post anything earlier is that I did a lot of research on the wing panels. I now believe, that I have fairly correct drawings of the wings. The second reason is, that I had to sand down the primer. It turned out, that the glue I use to glue the aluminium panels to the structure reacted with the primer. It made a royal mess and it didn't cure. So I had to rip off the first panels I had glued on (of course, they where unusable after that) and I had to sand the complete wing surfaces. A lot of fun ...

Anyway, here are some photos. Note, that the wing panels of the Viggen where not riveted to the structure but screwed on (the exeption beeing the rear leading edge panel). I used a 0.6 mm beading tool to represent the fasteners as compared to 0.4 mm for rivets.

JA-37_wing_08.jpg

Upper side. I installed only the leding edge panels so far (the aft one is not yet glued on because I fear, that I will damage it) I'll leave the upper side like this untill I have installed the MLG side walls.

JA-37_wing_09.jpg

Lower side with some of the panel glued on.

JA-37_wing_10.jpg

And another view.

JA-37_wing_11.jpg

And some more skin panels and access covers.

JA-37_wing_12.jpg

Skin panels and access covers in place.

JA-37_wing_13.jpg

And another view.

JA-37_wing_14.jpg

And some more panels and access covers. They are not completely flat, but once they are glued on they will be fine.

JA-37_wing_15.jpg

These panels are not glued on yet because they protrude over the rear edge of the structure and I'm sure I will damage them while installing the MLG bay bits and pieces.

JA-37_wing_16.jpg

A detail of the MLG bay. The fasteners seem very large and deep. But that is an optical illusion due to the reflections on the aluminium. And the panels will be sanded down a bit to insure, that they are flush. And what's more, my painting is usually a bit heavy handed, so I'm certain, that after painting they will be unobtrusive enough, like in the next pic of a paint mule:

JA-37_wing_17.jpg
And this panel hasn't even been sanded ...

That's it for today. Next up are the MLG side walls and the the skins for the upper surfaces.

I know, it's way too early to decide on the loadout of my Viggen but I have made up my mind to hang a U95 Jamming Pod under the right wing. I have made a preliminary drawing, however I'm not sure about the dimensions. I found some dimensions on a somewhat obscure website (length: 3140 mm, diameter 494 mm). However, in the drawing I made using this dimensions the pod looks a bit too fat. What say you?

u95_Jamming-Pod.jpg

If anybody could point me to more information on the U95 pod I would be very grateful.

As always, thanks for looking.

Cheers

Rainer

Edited by Rainer Hoffmann

• Rainer Hoffmann changed the title to JA 37 D(I) - 1/24 First wing panels glued on 02.10.21
15 hours ago, Rainer Hoffmann said:

JA-37_wing_11.jpg

And some more skin panels and access covers.

JA-37_wing_14.jpg

Hi Rainer,

I love everything about this build- the craftsmanship is simply outstanding! How fortunate for me that you are at this point, because I am very close to skinning my AT-38 (after 11 years), and this burst of inspiration is just what I needed, and I am grateful for your thoughtful tutorial.

I am particularly impressed with the accuracy and precision of the cuts that you’ve made for the access covers. Would love to know your technique, the results are simply perfect!

cheers

Pete

Thanks a lot for your nice words and encouragement, guys.

14 hours ago, brahman104 said:

I'd say your tolerances are even better than on the real aircraft!

Cheers,

Craig 

Well, I have my doubts :coolio:

13 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Very interesting also that the wings skin were mostly screwed on...fascinating!

Well, they are honeycomb panels (on the real bird, that is :P), so it does make sense.

5 hours ago, Pete Fleischmann said:

I am particularly impressed with the accuracy and precision of the cuts that you’ve made for the access covers. Would love to know your technique, the results are simply perfect!

cheers

Pete

Nothing special here, Pete. I carefully cut the hole with a No. 11 blade, a bit smaller than required. Then I use different needle files to get the shape right (nothing sophisticated, just a lot of work). Then I use the hole as a template for the cover, cut and file until it just drops into the hole (discard the cover and repeat, if necessary ... ). Perhaps it could be done more precisely with a Silhouette cutter? But you porbably would have to replace the blade quite frequently.

Cheers

Rainer

11 hours ago, mattcour said:

Great modeling abilities you have, Rainer. Congratulations, the wings really look magnificent.

As for the U95 pod. I'm no expert for sure but when I visually compare it with the images I have, to me it seems just fine.

Matt

Thanks a lot, Matt! As long as I don't have any other measurments for the U95 pod I'll go along with what I have ...

5 minutes ago, Starfighter said:

Absolutely stunning, Rainer - it just keeps on getting better and better! 

Thank you, mate.

Cheers

Rainer