JA 37 D(I) - 1/24 ---- SOD

Amazing quality. Question, have you drawn the template up on a PC/laptop for the 19 guide vanes and then printed it off, or did you hand draw it? So neat.

I drew the template in Illustrator. It has a very handy tool for such a task. You just draw a line, specify an angle and the number of lines you want to evenly distribute around a circle and Illustrator does the rest. In this case it was 360 deg / 19 to distribute the 19 lines along a full circle. I did the same for the 30 first stage rotor blades (360 deg / 30). Piece of cake!

Cheers

Rainer

Rainer,

Super precision and clean execution. You don't need a lathe. That's just a lovely piece if work...Did you turn the the parts in a Dremel?

Goeff,

I turned only the inlet cone on a power drill (my big old Metabo power drill, that is). The outer casings were not turned. They are just styrene strips that I "persuaded" to adopt a circular form...

Cheers

Rainer

I drew the template in Illustrator. It has a very handy tool for such a task. You just draw a line, specify an angle and the number of lines you want to evenly distribute around a circle and Illustrator does the rest. In this case it was 360 deg / 19 to distribute the 19 lines along a full circle. I did the same for the 30 first stage rotor blades (360 deg / 30). Piece of cake!

Cheers

Rainer

Superb, thank for replying. Sadly I don't have Illustrator so I will have to have ago another way.

Edited by Radders

• 1 month later...

Dear fellow modellers,

while you guys had a good time in Telford I did some serious modelling :innocent:

I built the last turbine stage, the turbine casing, the exit cone and the afterburner fuel manifold. My information on this part of the engine is sketchy at best, so ther is a lot of artistic licence involved. However, not much will be seen of this assembly as it will end up at the end of a long, dark tunnel... But I want it to look busy.

Here are the pics:

afterburner_01.jpg

The white styrene rods will hold the fuel manifold in place. In the pic above they are neiter the correct length nor are they in the final position.

afterburner_02.jpg

This are the fuel spray rings (actually they are spares I didn't need in the end). The fuel manifold consists of 8 spray rings, two of each diameter that are arranged in a tandem configuration. They are made from 0.5 mm styrene rod wound around a rod or tube of the proper diameter and then dipped into boiling water for a minute or two.

afterburner_03.jpg

The fuel manifold with the little jig I made for the assembly. The whole thing is quite fiddly...

afterburner_04.jpg

afterburner_05.jpg

And the manifold in place behind the last turbine stage. I must say I'm quite happy with this.

Next up are the flame holders. They are pretty complex and I have no idea how to do them. Some experiments will be necessary, I guess.

Lastly, a pic of the compressor face and the ejection seat to show you how big the RM-8B was. One of the biggest fighter engines ever.

Compressor_05.jpg

That's it for today.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers

Rainer

Edited by Rainer Hoffmann

Thanks for your kind words and continued support, gents. It's always very much appreciated.

Rainer ... I'm speechless! What a phenomenal scratch building effort. What glue do you use?

Jim

Jim, I mostly use acetone, applied with a 00 or 01 brush. If you are not happy with acetone you can use Tamiya Extra Thin. I also often use Faller Super Expert because it comes with a thin steel tube that allows the precise application of small droplets of glue.

Cheers

Rainer