JA 37 D(I) - 1/24 ---- SOD

And Derek is right, it's 1:24 scale, so that seat is pretty big. I'll post a pic with a scale reference so you get a better idea of the actual size.

Thanks Paul, but next time I choose a subject that is better documented than the Viggen. There is so much guess work involved in building this model... We desperately need a "Modern Viggen Guide" (Jake, do you hear me?).

Cheers

Rainer

I managed to pick this up last Saturday, but I cannot look at it until Christmas! :crying:

Viggen-bog-omslag-medium.jpg

Derek

Edited by Derek B

I managed to pick this up last Saturday, but I cannot look at it until Christmas! :crying:

Viggen-bog-omslag-medium.jpg

Derek

I got mine a couple of weeks ago. Lots of very good pics but unfortunately only few detail photographs. So it's not quite like Jake's books, but still worth the money.

Cheers

Rainer

I dare say it's one of the better 1:24 renditions of the Raketstol 37 out there :rofl:

LOL - one of the benefits of going your own way. I have absolutely no knowledge of the subject so I cannot comment on the accuracy, but who cares when it looks so good. Absolutely stunning work !!

Still doing a great job on this project. Yesterday I had a look at the real thing, the surveillance version of Viggen, at a museum. Always cool to see the real thing in the flesh. Unfortunately there were restrictions to climb into the cockpit so no closer look at the raketstol... Keep up the good work.

/Stoffe

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

the ABIM GB is coming to an end and, as expected, I didn't make it to the finish line.

But this build will not be shelved. I've asked Kev to move this thread to the WIP section. See you there!

Thanks again for your continued interest and support.

Cheers

Rainer

Rainer, 

Like Cees said, this work of yours is coming along so nicely it really deserves to be finished.

I am definitely not going to make it to the deadline either so we will keep seeing each other at the WIP section! hehe

Take care and keep on with that beauty of a Viggen,

Fabian

Hi all,

the ABIM GB is coming to an end and, as expected, I didn't make it to the finish line.

But this build will not be shelved. I've asked Kev to move this thread to the WIP section. See you there!

Thanks again for your continued interest and support.

Cheers

Rainer

That is OK Rainer, as I am pretty certain that mine will follow yours, so I will be asking Kev to do the honours for me also.

Derek

My apologies for taking so long to move your thread Rainer. I hope to see you back with some updates soon!

Kev

No sweat, Kev! Thanks for moving the thread to the WIP section.

As for updates, well, SWIMBO has found some home improvement projects for me...

Cheers

Rainer

• 4 weeks later...

G'day Ladies & Gents,

progress on this bird is slow but steady.

I did the basic shaping of the fuselage halves. But I realized that I had to temporarily glue both halves together to be able to detect any symmetry/shape issues. Furthermore I have drawn pencil lines perpendicular to the aircraft center line on the fuselage. This helps to detect any inaccuracies of the cross sections which is almost impossible on an otherwise almost featureless white surface (don't mistake these lines for panel lines, they are just random).

Here are som pics:

fuselage_011.jpg

fuselage_012.jpg

I have marked the areas that need more sanding or beefing up. But generally I'm quite happy. Just a few mor filling/sanding sessions and I should be able to proceed. I don't go finer than 600 grit at this stage because the fuselage will undergo some serious surgery in the hopefully near future (wheel wells, RAT compartment etc).

I have also removed the dummy frames in the cockpit area, so the cockpit tub is now visible.

fuselage_013.jpg

Nothing of the remaining structure will be visible when the sidewalls and consoles are in place, so I don't care that it looks a bit rough at the moment.

Now that I have a feeling for the size of the cockpit tub I'm confident that I can install the floor, sidewalls, rear wall and IP AFTER I have buttoned her up for good. That suits me fine!

Also did some more work on the bang seat. I installed some brackets, the rocket motor (hard to see in the pics because it is partly hidden by the catapult tube), the head rests, the seat arming lever (in the "disarmed" position), the leg restraint system, the tennis racket like thingies that are supposed to prevent flailing of the legs during ejection, the ejection handles and the manual seat separation handles.

The "soft parts" of the seat, the drogue chute, the parachute pack and the seat pan, are in place but not glued yet because I want to paint them separately.

Here are the pics:

Raketstol_011.jpg

Raketstol_012.jpg

Raketstol_013.jpg

Raketstol_014.jpg

Raketstol_015.jpg

I'm now working on the seat belts and associated equipment. Man, that's fiddly stuff even in 1/24 scale.

Looking forward to painting the Raketstol, but that will have to wait a bit.

Thanks for looking

Cheers

Rainer

Edited by Rainer Hoffmann