Revell Sea Venom.. Finished!

ericg

People interpret the same rules differently and on the day the [scrutineer] that looks at this model will make the decision that is binding.

This is one of the reasons I think QMHE needs the most straight forward of OOB rules. Every year at competitions, people argue about the interpretation of the rules for this category (or at least its immediate predecessor). I can tell you from experience at the scrutineering desk, that people have extremely strong views about how the rule is applied, I can also say it's rarely applied consistently which only serves to annoy competitors more. One person's minor modification is another's modification too far. I think the OOB rule should be "you can use the contents of a single box to build the model in accordance with the instructions. Aftermarket decals or paint masks can be used. No modifications are permitted other than to reinstate panel lines removed when filling seams" - i.e. if it was in the box when you opened it, you use it as it was presented.

If this were the rule, we would know now - without argument - that removing the detail in the canopy is not permitted, nor is scribing engraved lines in place of raised detail.

For me, QMHE's golden rule remains (taken from its website):

Possibly the most important rule for competitors...

Behave ethically. Read the competition rules closely and enter your model in the correct category. While most modellers understand and accept the subjective nature of the judging process, they will not accept people deliberately entering in categories that do not comply with the rules of the competition.

While we try to ensure each model is entered in the correct category through our scrutineering process, there are an incredible number of kits available on the market. Occasionally, we’ll be unsure whether a modeller has added parts not included in a kit or made modifications not permitted by the category rules. For this reason, we have to be able to rely on the information modellers provide us about their models when they enter. If we overlook something, and inadvertently allow a model to be entered in the wrong category, we know one of the many experienced modellers attending QMHE will notice... and word gets around very quickly.

There is no value in winning or placing in a category if you did not comply with the competition rules.

Which is not to say I believe Eric intended to do anything other than comply rules as he has interpreted them. My concern continues to be that there is any doubt at all about what those rules mean, and it's something I believe is ridiculously easy to fix and has been for years.

Apologies for hijacking your build thread Eric, good luck with the Sea Venom.

Thanks gents,

A worthy debate for sure. I would definatley get no personal kicks out of having it in a category that it is not supposed to be in. Unfortunatley a well known Brisbane modeller has taken to messaging the admins of both forums that I have put this build in and is accusing me of cheating! (bearing in mind that I haven't finshed this kit, nor entered it in any competitions) So Mr R, if you are reading this, Man up and contact me directly.

For now, I will be going underground with this build.

Eric.

Eric - personally I don't care what the rules for whatever state, or not...

A long time ago (actually my Initial Officers Course - RAF VR) I was told that 'rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind adherence of fools' - something I've always had filed away.

Please don't take this underground - great project and I'm very interested to see what you make of her...

Iain (who's a little 'off' interweb modelling forums atm owing to the increasing ratio of cr@p to modelling - the latter losing the battle it appears)

Edited by 32SIG

Guest Peterpools

Eric

Would appreciate and hope you change your mind and keep the build above ground for us to enjoy and learn form

:popcorn: :popcorn:

OK gents, lets draw the line in the sand here and now. I think Ian said it very well here:

A long time ago (actually my Initial Officers Course - RAF VR) I was told that 'rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind adherence of fools' - something I've always had filed away.

Going to continue with this build as I think this kit is well worth the effort to bring this much unloved beauty out in the open for everyone to enjoy. #$%^ the rules.

The inner wing sections allow you to option 2 different wheel wells with the not bad fit of the resulting choice. The one area that has me scratching my head on this kit is why there is a big gap between the walls of the wheel wells and the bottom of the top wing piece.... oh well, no one looks inside wheel wells anyway, or do they?

null_zpsc124c894.jpg

The next part that had me wondering is the outer wing panels and the raised detail that represents the panel lines but the engraved lines that represent the flying surfaces. I reckon it looks a bit awkward, so without looking at references (to stop this from becoming a major build) I rescribed the panel lines in the original position, giving them a few extra passes to match some of the other engraved detail on the kit.

The raised detail on left and rescribed detail on right:

null_zps55ae475a.jpg

null_zps4d381591.jpg

The turbine section of the engine is really quite a nice part, and should be visible when viewed from the rear, so I painted it using alclad aluminium with a black wash to highlight the detail. Will have a play with different shades of alclad to paint the cone.

null_zps964482a4.jpg

Edited by ericg

Guest Peterpools

Eric

Glad to see the build remain above ground and your back at it with us again

Keep 'em coming

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Enjoying watching this Eric....

It's very interesting to see what some effective painting and a few well chosen decals can add to an 'undernourished' cockpit area.... Much of what we do is about optical illusion (or scale effect) so falling back on finishing skills to achieve that will be an interesting exercise.

Matt

Ive built a couple of these (and restored 3 of the real thing) biggest issue I see is the "woof" between the gun bay doors and the
front lower engine access panel. Its a straight line between the two on the prototype yet Matchbox have molded it with a slope.

Possibly something to do with the engine?

Builds up fine out of the box (as shown here)

Pushing on with the build and am really starting to enjoy myself with this one as I am really striving to try new techniques. Looking at the instrument panel I thought that there was only so much the Airscale decals could do for me as I was trying to use them for something they weren't designed to do. Having recently used clear decal sheet with an inkjet printer for the first time I thought it would be a great opportunity to try and push the method as much as I could in order to improve upon the idea of keeping this build as retro as possible. With nervous trepidation that I would tear someones heart out by doing something new I bashed something up in MS Word:

null_zps68dfeef7.jpg

Which was loosely based upon this drawing:

http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/azrael_raven/sea_venom_faw.53/images/sea_venom_faw.53_269_of_293.jpg

Stripped the side panel of its Aftermarket decals and the re-covered the panel with some white decal:

null_zpsbaf945e4.jpg

Here is the decal as printed and coated with Microscale decal sealant (a really great product)

null_zpsae8c00d0.jpg

And here is the result. I will carry this through to the other panels as I think it matches the Instrument panel better than anything else.

null_zps061b6d1d.jpg

null_zps2589ca32.jpg