Revell Sea Venom.. Finished!

ericg

HI folks, I know I have way to much started but I though I would get stuck into this one as a stress reliever. I picked up this kit at model expo for a very small amount and though I would give it a go. I did the same thing last year where I got a cheap and unloved kit (Trumpeter Nanchang) and built it straight from the box, thoroughly enjoying myself in the process. I hope to keep up this tradition.

The rule for this kit will be to use no aftermarket (there isn't any for it anyway), and under no circumstances scratchbuild anything!.... no seats, no cockpit, weapons, anything!! The purpose of this exercise is to use paint and decals and see how far I can take the kit and hopefully enter it in the OOB category at an upcoming show. I will make a couple of concessions (ejection seat pull handles for instance) but these will be removable if I get a picky scrutineer.

Started on the cockpit. I have used the kit decals with additional airscale decals to tart it up a bit. There is not much in the kit that corresponds with the real thing so I am trying my best to make it fit. I am concentrating on the detail that is there in order to enhance the very bland kit detail. I sanded off the raised instruments and used the kit decal sheet which isn't too bad if you squint a bit. I have put drops of clear drying glue on the faces to represent glass. Which can be seen in subsequent shots.

5e1039da-702b-466e-9d1b-fc5e33a408b0_zps

The assembled cockpit. You will notice that I covered up one of the yellow screens on the radar panel with some black decal and used an airscale decal to better represent my references. Also have started to apply lots of airscale decals in appropriate places to make the kit cockpit more `busy'. As close as I could to the reference pics.

09df3394-181c-450c-ac79-c7bcb660a4b3_zps

null_zps97b52f84.jpg

Now for the seats........... very basic painting of the rough shapes the kit has given me, yet to drybrush and detail paint, but I think these may come up OK once finished.

null_zps0394a2cb.jpg

Edited by ericg

I did one of these myself earlier this year Eric

Just as a bit of a confidence builder, and it was a whole bunch of fun

I really enjoyed it & am looking for another for my Dad to play with

Enjoy it, it's a great little kit

Nice start Eric! As you know, I built one of these a few years ago, so I know how basic it is. Very difficult task to make it impressive without scratch-building stuff, but you're off to a super start. I'm sure it'll blow my effort out of the water. Looking forward to more.

Kev

Wow , what a fascinating project , I've got the Revell re-release and the original Matchbox version , and I bring them out from time to time , moan about the fact there's no aftermarket for them , and then put them away again - so it'll fascinating to see what a top notch modeler can do with these models

Great subject mate. Nice painting.

You'll have this one finished in a week with no scratch building.

Please reveal some painting and weathering tips along the way.

Cheers,

Brad

Lovely aeroplane and not a bad kit with a bit of TLC.

If your interested here's my 1/1 version I rebuilt a few years ago

HI guys,

Sorry I should have been more clear. The rules for the OOB category are as per below and I am trying to conform with the alternative decals part. In the `spirit' of the kit, I am using decals to further detail the cockpit, rather than scratchbuild any detail from the traditional means.

SINGLE MEDIA (SM) (formerly Out of Box – OOB): A Single Media (SM) entry is a model that has been built completely from a single media e.g., styrene, resin, white metal, card. The model must be built using those parts contained within a single kit and be built completely from that kit as per the kit instructions. Minor refinements are allowed which don’t change the final model from that intended by the kit manufacturer. The use of kit supplied rubber tyres and track is permitted. Kit parts which are not plastic, and are used for strengthening or balancing will be allowed. Glues, putty, alternative decals and finishing products will be allowed. Multimedia type kits are not permitted entry in the SM category. Multimedia kits, built from the box must be entered in the MULTIMEDIA / ENHANCED (MM/ENH) class.

Cool. The Sea Venom is a nice plane, and I wish there were more kits of it out. The Classic Airframes kit is really hard to find, and this one takes a bunch of work. But I really like what you're doing with it. You planning to rescribe at all? Or leave the lines raised?

Matt :party0023:

There are some raised lines present on the bottom of the outer wing panels and other small hatches but the majority of the aircraft is engraved. I will rescribe the raised panel lines in the original position of the raised lines (even though they arent accurate), and in the fashion of the other engraved lines of the kit so that it all matches. I believe that this may fit under the `minor refinement' part of the rules and certainly would not constitute a major rescribe/re-rivet job.

Now I realise that someone has already wet their pants about me possibly entering this kit in the local competition in the OOB category. I would encourage them to read the rules that I have posted above, paying particular notice of the alternative decals part that I have underlined and tell me, am I breaking a rule as presented in that paragraph?

Eric.

Thanks for the clarification. I thought it had raised lines. Much easier though that they're engraved, even if it's a bit heavy.

I think it would be fine for OOB under IPMS rules. The added decals seem to fit under the rules just fine. I say go with it Eric, it looks great already

Matt :party0023:

There are some raised lines present on the bottom of the outer wing panels and other small hatches but the majority of the aircraft is engraved. I will rescribe the raised panel lines in the original position of the raised lines (even though they arent accurate), and in the fashion of the other engraved lines of the kit so that it all matches. I believe that this may fit under the `minor refinement' part of the rules and certainly would not constitute a major rescribe/re-rivet job.

I've always thought this particular category needed to be scrapped in favour of a true Out of the Box category where you could build a kit using the contents of the box (regardless of the media included). Most modern kits include etch and in some cases resin... that we have this category dedicated to modelling the way it was done in 1982 beggars belief (at least IMO). I'd much rather see some of the excellent new kits that have been released entered in this category than encourage people to build second-rate older kits. Let's face it, high quality 1/32 kits are a recent phenomenon. I can't think of a good reason why you should have to enter the enh/mod (or whatever its called now) category if you've built the new Corsair straight from the box or one of Academy's big jets.

I think your use of aftermarket decals is probably fine, but I didn't think the category rules would permit you to either sand the cockpit details flat in order to use decals or rescribe details other than to replace lines lost during construction (and if they were raised lines you needed to replace I imagine you'd replace them with raised lines because a mix of raise and engraved can look odd). I've scrutineered several times at QMHE and this is how I've seen the rule interpreted in previous years. That said, these interpretations vary depending on who is scrutineering and who the chief judge is... if you think you've complied with the rules give it a crack, the worst that can happen is you find your model in the ENH category with comparatively few enhancements.

I tend to agree that changing panels from raised to engraved may be pushing the 'intent' of the rules but I don't believe that removing the Instrument panel detail and using decals is going to far. It all comes down to the scrutineers and the Chief Judge as they are the ones that have the final say in it. Peopel interpret the same rule sdifferently and on the day the one that looks at this model will make the decision that is binding. So it either ends up in OOB/Single Media section or the enhanced, either way placing it receives all depends on how good Eric makes the model not what it is made of. A poorly made multi media kit should be easily beaten by a barely enhanced but well made kit.

The vital part of the rules:

The scrutineers in conjunction with the Chief Judge will consider the appropriate category and/or class for entries in doubt.

The Chief Judge’s decisions are final and will be made within the friendly spirit of the competition and no correspondence will be entered into.

Edited by Harvs73