Trumpeter's P-47D dimensions...

Farao Mike

Hello fellas,here's one for the US airplanes experts : I am thinking about start building the 1/32 Trumpeter's P-47D (kit code 02263) and searching for reference drawings I found this :

Fuselage's general dimensions and shape is not bad , with a small exception on the belly (it is more big bellied but not too much ) but the real wrong is on the wing dimensions .As you can see in the picture,the wing is right in shape,but shorter than the comparing drawing about 20mm (10mm on the root and more 10mm in the wingtip).

Is that right,meaning some surgery on the wing,or something else it happens ?

Gentlemen, your advice please !

i91m.jpg

b8tl.jpg

Are you sure the drawings are accurate?

Unless I know their provenance - and method of reproduction (photocopiers and scanners are notoriously bad at distorting drawings when enlarging) - I'd be checking a lot of other things before altering a kit based purely on those images.

How do those drawings measure up against published dimensions with regard to span?

Iain

I agree on that. The P-47 is my favourite and I have about 30 books on it including scale drawings in all scales. If you pm me your mail address

I will scan the 1/32 drawings for you and then I am curious how it will look like. One thing is wrong on the Trumpy, and that is the shape of the canopy, if you can get hold off a canopy of the Hasegawa kit that would be an improvement, as they have it right.

Theo

Yes,drawings are very accurate,I've measured twice before open this topic.Warbird Tech #23 , P-47 in detail and scale , Aero detail #14 etc. agree to the P-47D-25 dimensions :

Length 10,92 m or 36 ft. 1 in.

Wing span : 12,43 m or 40 ft. 9 in.

In 1/32 that means length 341,6 mm and wing span 388,4 mm .

My reference drawings are agree with those,but the model's wing span still remain shorter...

I agree on that. The P-47 is my favourite and I have about 30 books on it including scale drawings in all scales. If you pm me your mail address

I will scan the 1/32 drawings for you and then I am curious how it will look like. One thing is wrong on the Trumpy, and that is the shape of the canopy, if you can get hold off a canopy of the Hasegawa kit that would be an improvement, as they have it right.

Theo

Thank you Theo,pm send...

Here we are again !

Theo , are a great connoisseur of the P-47 and sends me some great scans,in 1/32 !

Then I print it (in original size) and compare it with the model.See the pictures and you will take an idea for what we are talking about.The wing is still undersized - I don't know yet about the fuselage,I haven't printed , but I believe will be the same as before (good in general shape and dimensions ) unlike with the wing...

88bv.jpg

xpxh.jpg Note the drawing is original 1/32 scaled...

Are you sure the drawings are accurate?

Unless I know their provenance - and method of reproduction (photocopiers and scanners are notoriously bad at distorting drawings when enlarging) - I'd be checking a lot of other things before altering a kit based purely on those images.

How do those drawings measure up against published dimensions with regard to span?

Iain

God I am slow today - first thing I thought of too Iain ;)

Funny, almost the same result. Well, I will get my Hasegawa Jug out of the stash and put it on the same drawing and then we will know. If the result is the same, then we know the drawings are of. I have measured the scans against my original plans and that was the same.

Will do that tomorrow and post pics here. :hmmm:

I could not resist to get my Hasegawa and cut the fuselage and wing of the sprue. Fuselage is spot on, no belly problems, only some very minor difference at the tail.

Wing: Well don't worry at the root, you need to count the fillet in that's on the fuselage, almost the same difference, but less. When I put the fuselage next to the wing, it is just right.

But the wing of the Hasegawa kit is better, only little differences on the outside, they are the most accurate. That and the wrongly shaped canopy makes the Trumpy kit loose.

I will post the pics tomorrow. I already knew the Hasegawa kit was the better one and if I was you I would sell the Trumpy on EBay and buy the Hasegawa and a cockpit set from MDC, as Hasegawa has the floor wrong. The flat floor was introduced on the production batch 28 for the very first time, D-25 needs the corrugated floor, and the MDC set is great.

Edited by Theo

I think the canopy issue has been done to death and the Hasegawa windshield is to narrow.

Take the time to look at the images posted here some time ago directly comparing them to the real aircraft and its as plain as day.

Both kits are technically incorrect.

Trump got the width right and framing wrong the Hasegawa kit is reversed to narrow but correct framing.

Seriously if people are going to complain about the Trump P-47 fuselage i think we all should give up.

Its about as good a kit you will ever get and if 0.75mm disturbs someone that badly then we are all destined for a life of forums full of whining about kits with problems so minuscule that we will be tail chasing forever.

As for the windscreen if you sand off the windscreen framing repolish then use a Hasegawa windscreen mask widened to the correct size you will get a pretty decent looking P-47.

Edited by Darren Howie

fusalege_zps16a493af.jpg

wing_zpsf86007e2.jpg

As promised, here are both parts on the original plans. With the fuselage half next to the wing, the fillet fills the gap at the wing root perfectly.

Of course there is no kit that is 100% accurate. But if someone wants to compare kit parts on scale plans, then that is there own right to do so.

I think it is a bit crude to call that wining. You may think what you want, but to post such negative comment does not help to answer the question asked for in this post.

Anyway I hope this helps you, Mike.