Aerotech 1/32 Speed Spitfire

Righto chaps, moving right along. With the way everything is fitting together so far, I've got a feeling this model will go together quite quickly (by my standards). I've begun working on the PE cockpit parts. I started by giving them a quick soak in some methylated spirits:

Es5QVa.jpg

This removes any chemical residue that might interfere with glue or paint adhesion, and etches the metal slightly to give it some tooth. You only need a few minutes of this at the most, and if you see the metal start to discolour, pull it out quick!

And the first sidewall part installed:

OfOrDv.jpg

I have to say that this is the easiest PE material I've ever worked with. The parts cut from the fret very easily, and are easy to manipulate into shape and place. The installed PE you see in the photo above is a single piece. It took a while to finagle into position, but it was no real hassle.

Here's the first stages of building the cockpit insert:

R5b2IU.jpg

The white metal bulkheads have been given a couple of coats of Mr Metal Primer, thinned 50/50 with Mr Color Thinner. I'll give them a coat of Mr Surfacer, along with the rest of the cockpit parts, prior to applying the base colours.

OK, more soon!

Kev

Thanks Dan! Didn't work though I'm afraid, as I've struck a bit of a snag. In working through all the PE for the cockpit, I thought I might assemble the separate entry door, which on the instructions appears to be made up of a main resin part and 3 PE pieces. Well, I can't find a resin part anywhere, and the instructions just label it "Outer surface B". Since there's no parts plan or inventory in the kit, I didn't notice that it was missing. To make matters worse, just below the assembly photo for the cockpit door is a photo showing how to assemble the flaps. Similar thing - resin outer parts with lots of PE details. Well, do you think I could find those resin outer parts? Nope. Unless I'm mistaken and am reading the instructions incorrectly, and the outer parts are actually PE. I'm just not sure at this stage. I'm already missing one of the resin exhaust stacks, so it's certainly possible that the other parts are missing. It's also possible that I'm just being confused by the instructions, but PE outer parts don't make much sense to me.

Anyway, I'll get another email off to John at Marsh Models seeking clarification, but I don't hold out much hope, as I haven't yet heard anything about the missing exhaust part.

Kev

Right, well...let's not let a minor speed bump slow me down! I've finished installing the PE framework inside the fuselage:

bk0o8k.jpg

For the record, I'm attaching it with thick CA (gel), using either a toothpick, or a sewing needle that has had have the eye cut off, forming a nice little 'fork' to pick up small amounts of CA with. To be honest that particular tool is more effective with thinner types of CA, where control and amount are important. The thicker gel types tend to overwhelm the tiny forks, and you can usually put those where you want them with toothpick anyway.

Here's the cockpit developing:

0dGTx5.jpg

Note the PE rudder pedals. There are PE foot straps somewhere on one of the frets, but I'm not sure if I'll add them yet. Here's a test fit of the cockpit parts into the fuselage:

WiRlwS.jpg

Quite snug! I'm liking it so far. With the wing fitted, it really looks quite effective through the cockpit opening:

JkWA1Q.jpg

2thG5t.jpg

I've got the seat cleaned up and ready to install, but I'll do that after painting and adding the harnesses.

One last testament to the fit of parts on this kit. Here's the large under wing radiator cleaned up and pushed into place:

X2m9B0.jpg

One thing to note about this kit is that the resin sands really easily, so when you're cleaning up the parts or adjusting for fit, be very careful! It doesn't take much to go too far. Slow and steady wins the race!

Kev

Thanks fellas. I'm really enjoying this one, and so far it has been a vice-less build. Still trying to work out what the go is with the flaps and cockpit door, but I'm sure I'll figure it out. I've got all the supplied cockpit detail parts installed now, and was debating whether I'd add any more. I've decided not to, as I've still got other builds to get back to, and really don't want to make this one harder or more involved than it needs to be. I'm already thinking I might be back later in the GB with a vac kit!

Anyway, hoping to get some primer on the cockpit parts next.

Kev

Nice work so far Kev. It IS rough when you get a kit & all the pieces parts are not there. I hope you can get things straight with Marsh.

Its not like we have enough trouble finishing models without missing parts from the box.

Edited by Out2gtcha

OK fellas, how about some more photos?

Prop with spinner cap on (main unit has been sprayed with Mr Surfacer, hence the colour difference):

a6Gmtl.jpg

Still not sure about the fit, as I suspect there's a slight step there. Will know for sure when the entire thing gets a coat of Mr Surfacer.

The instructions call for the removal of the compass shelf moulded into the white metal IP bulkhead, to be replaced with a PE unit:

oxsrRz.jpg

The metal is so soft that a pair of old sprue cutters and a rounded hobby blade took care of most of it, and some clean-up with a diamond file did the the rest. The result:

6Tqx7b.jpg

Here are the two fuselage sides with all the PE and white metal detail installed:

10fkSh.jpg

SRlu5t.jpg

And after primer and paint:

o0fndV.jpg

Cuhycu.jpg

I've elevated a few of the PE knobs and such with some styrene discs to reduce the 'flat' look. Otherwise it's totally stock. There's even a couple of parts on the fret that don't get a mention in the instructions, and given the modification you're asked to perform on the IP bulkhead, my suspicion is that this kit shares many parts in common with the company's prototype Spitfire kit. DougN has that kit, so perhaps he could comment?

Right, here's the main cockpit assembly with the seat placed into position (not glued), after primer and paint:

qTocRH.jpg

Still a few more details to add there, and I completely forgot to paint the control column!

Here's a couple of (poor) photos of a test assembly of the painted parts:

w8LcWT.jpg

4Tet8W.jpg

Next steps are to apply the interior green to those bits I missed (XF-71 in this case), get a gloss coat on the parts and then a wash, followed by a flat coat and some dry brushing. I'll also have to remember to paint the detail colours in. I won't be able to do too much, as the already-closed fuselage really limits access. Once the IP is finished, I can then install the cockpit.

More soon!

Kev

Thanks Derek. Rapid indeed! Here's another update. Firstly, the cockpit has been given a wash, and what detail parts I could reach have been painted up:

LIFcTM.jpg

a8Mn7R.jpg

xyhejb.jpg

Apologies for the lousy photos. I've also installed the rearmost of the white metal bulkheads. I gave the interior a a couple of light squirts with Future before applying the wash, but it still stained the paint. A couple of reasons for that I think. One, the resin is not super smooth inside. Two, I deliberately used quite a dry mix for the interior green, as I didn't want a thin paint running everywhere while trying to squirt it into all available openings. So this combination left the painted interior slightly rough and textured, and my light coats of clear gloss were probably not enough to mitigate that. I thought about brushing the Future on, but access is awkward, and some of the PE parts are a bit fragile (I managed to knock one of them off while applying the wash with a brush).

A third important reason though, is that I suspect I didn't leave the Future to cure long enough before applying the wash. Too impatient! If you make that mistake, the wash can potentially settle into the still-soft clear layer, effectively staining it and making it impossible to remove. So, lesson learned...again!

Anyway, I don't mind the look, even if what I wanted was much cleaner than what I got. The darkened XF-71 looks quite a bit more like Humbrol 78 now anyway.

OK, the other thing I've managed to achieve is getting the PE flap details installed into the wing recesses:

flwNsY.jpg

These have been give a coat of Mr Metal Primer. Fit was largely very good. I've used CA gel here, but am hoping to lay my hands on some JB Weld soon, which I think will be a better option in the future. One small issue though, and that's a small but noticeable section of peekaboo on the port side:

licsVE.jpg

I guess I'll just have to file that back, but I'll clean up and test fit the aileron first, just in case it's not necessary (wishful thinking I suspect).

I need to finish off everything for the cockpit so I can get it installed. This mainly involves the IP and seat harness, but I need to fashion a couple of levers too.

More soon!

Kev

Thomas, no idea about the asymmetric flaps, but you can see that the oversized wing radiator cuts the starboard one almost in half. Very odd!

A question though: what colour would the interior of the flaps be? Interior green, or something else?

Kev

Thomas, no idea about the asymmetric flaps, but you can see that the oversized wing radiator cuts the starboard one almost in half. Very odd!

A question though: what colour would the interior of the flaps be? Interior green, or something else?

Kev

I reckon this one being an early one would have been unpainted aluminium or silver Kevin.

Brad

I reckon this one being an early one would have been unpainted aluminium or silver Kevin.

Brad

Thanks Brad. The instructions say interior green (H78), so I'm not sure at this stage.

Kev