Derek, you are absolutely right about bulkheads! But the really bizarre thing is, I once had an easy, foolproof method of making them. fast, and the fit was perfect, not even the slightest sliver of light could peek out between bulkhead and fuselage shell. then, I got to filling my models with foam for a few years, and then, one day when I needed a bulkhead...... I couldn't remember how! Frustrating doesn't even begin to describe it. So, now it's back to the old fit-and-sand-and-fit, until i get what I need. How crazy is that?

Derek, you are absolutely right about bulkheads! But the really bizarre thing is, I once had an easy, foolproof method of making them. fast, and the fit was perfect, not even the slightest sliver of light could peek out between bulkhead and fuselage shell. then, I got to filling my models with foam for a few years, and then, one day when I needed a bulkhead...... I couldn't remember how! Frustrating doesn't even begin to describe it. So, now it's back to the old fit-and-sand-and-fit, until i get what I need. How crazy is that?

Yep, been there Lee, done that and I will no doubt be there again very soon! I still use a wire profile gauge for my bulkheads although I understand that draughtsman's drawing curves (the flexible plastic covered wire type) works pretty well, as does thick lead wire pushed inside the shell to create an internal shape.

Derek

Yep, been there Lee, done that and I will no doubt be there again very soon! I still use a wire profile gauge for my bulkheads although I understand that draughtsman's drawing curves (the flexible plastic covered wire type) works pretty well, as does thick lead wire pushed inside the shell to create an internal shape.

Derek

Gentlemen, please go ahead with this stuff. I learned so much already. I can't wait to learn more.

Great progress, Lee. I'm really itching to start my Viggen now. Please keep the pics coming.

Cheers

Rainer

Or, line the model part with adhesive parcel tape. Roughly cut a piece of plywood or similar to the section you want, smother the edge with a blob of mixed polyester car filler, stuff this into the fuselage where you want the profile, and let the filler cure. The tape will stop the filler adhering to the model. Ping it out when the filler has cured (10 minutes) then whizz a flat face on the front side of your new former with a circular or band sander. Instant exact profile. Well, nearly instant. Certainly good enough to score around on some styrene sheet for a bulkhead.

Tim

Guest Peterpools

Humongous for sure!

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Lee, great progress ! What a fantastic job you are doing, and a very interesting wip too, it's a kind of 'follow-my-lead' thing for me. Then again, it's also torture !!!! I really want one too...

Hope to see more soon!

Nic

OK, I found a little time to work on the Pig. !st pic is the forward fuselage, taped together with the basic cockpit in place-

DSCF1727_zps832c4974.jpg

This next pic shows how I'm doing the wheel wells, but the MLG well in the pic won't make it into the model- I'm finding circumstantial evidence that the rear of the well tapers severely at some point, since it seems the intake trunks taper onward to the engine faces, and a box like mine would be in the way. Anyone have good, clear pics of the MLG well that I can borrow? thanks!

DSCF1728_zps5367db0d.jpg