1/32 Phantom FGR2 RAF 6 Squadron (1970/1971)

kitbasha

Although I too was under the impression those Wild Hare sets were not for making, they were for buying and selling!!

I guess that depends on weather said WH conversion was purchased by a collector or a modeler. Sometimes not the same thing.

I agree- never thought I would see one these actually being built! REALLY looking forward to watching this one. Fantastic work on the crew, you have a genuine talent for painting the details!

Bring on the updates!

:popcorn:

Another update. Firstly, one of my 'bibles' on this project, Verlinden's excellent FGR1 AND FGR2 book, brilliant! Today, I fitted the lower part of the fuselage. The filling and tidying of the joints up will take quite some time as it is all quite badly misaligned. I started with the intake end, and using gap filling cyano(a much better medium than filler putty or paste as it will not shrink or crumble and will dry instantly when you spray it with the activator) filled in the gaps and sanded them all back, re-scribed all the panel lines and re-drilled all the rivet holes by hand, tedious or what! The cockpit aircon ducts and catapult 'J' hook blanking plates were also fitted. You can now see the extra width of the intakes to accommodate the Speys a bit better. The other images show the downward cant of the lower rear fuselage that this transkit provides. You can also see how bad the alignment is around the exhaust area, and, I also wanted you to see the bad casting of the alligator tail, I will have to modify the kit part and use this. I did say I wanted something to sink my teeth into!!!!

01_zpse5d25d65.jpg

02_zps2a61a07e.jpg

03_zps30ff734f.jpg

04_zps75b73040.jpg

05_zps39778c89.jpg

06_zpsf764ba18.jpg

07_zps7b4694b2.jpg

Some more work today, very hot and sweaty too! The Wild Hare transkit provides some moulded doughnut shaped rings at the exhaust ports, which I think are meant to be the exhaust nozzle mounts. I didn't like these and preferred to see the nozzles emerging from the fuselage like the real aircraft. I set about thinning the internal part of the fuselage, which was incredibly thick for some reason, and also removed the doughnut shaped rings. The result was a fairly fragile shell which I strengthened with some 2mm plastic card to make a bulkhead which would also act as a mounting plate for the replacement exhaust pipes. I cut a section of plastic tubing which I managed to find in the same outside diameter as the kit nozzles and fitted the nozzles. The transkit also provides a modified alligator tail, but the one I had was not usable as it was so badly cast, so I modified the kit part by removing the lower curved plates and replacing it with plastic card, this allows the larger exhausts to be fitted. I then test fitted all the parts after some very tedious filing and fitting of the alligator tail and sanding/re-scribing the lower fuselage joints, it paid off as there won't be too much filling and sanding to do when its properly fitted!

01_zps78d14542.jpg

02_zpsf3f97fa7.jpg

03_zps560abb2d.jpg

04_zpsd1ed2891.jpg

05_zps5411f113.jpg

06_zpsa63795fd.jpg

07_zps5e1a0512.jpg

Cool! Great work here.

I have thought about an F-4 build for my next (not a GR however) WIP, but they are quite big and I also have lots of AM...........a lot of work on these, especially for this type of conversion.

Props! (or maybe jets in this case)

A larger chunk of work done! Fitted the kit alligator tail and hook, filled all the gaps, re-scribed all the panel lines and drilled all the little rivet holes.....tedious but necessary as it had to match the moulded detail, and boxed in the hook mount. Most of the photos I have of early 70's Coningsby jets show them taxiing with the brake parachute bay open, and as this model will be posed while taxiing, I gave opening the brake parachute bay a go, the Eduard photo etch set I have supplies some very detailed frames to add to the insides, a bit fiddly lining it up but worth it I think! I also fitted the tailplane and the RAF Phantom fuel dump mast, which is supplied in the CE kit. Going to have a go at fitting the wing tops and the flaps/slats next, much swearing and gnashing of teeth here, a test fit shows lots of gaps!!

IMG_0014_zps4f33ddba.jpg

IMG_0013_zpscfb7117b.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies for the lack of updates, day job getting in the way! Another big chunk of work done. Resin wing tops fitted, lots of file and fit to get rid of the gaps. I added plastic card and strip and Archers resin rivet decals to detail the inside edge of the inboard leading edge flap as it is very visible. The outer wings were also fitted, I used square plastic strip glued into the wing end recesses and brass pins to achieve a secure joint and the correct angle. I then fitted the Wolfpack resin flaps and slats, adding additional detail to the middle flap to represent the boundary layer control piping which is visible when the middle leading edge flap is lowered (Wolfpack do supply a resin detail piece for this but it is incorrect and does not fit). Finally, I fitted the resin bulged undercarriage trunnion covers to the wingtops as they are visible in all the shots I have of RAF FGR2s, these came from the CE set as the kit ones are the wrong shape. Starting to take shape now!

IMG_0001_zpsa21b9c1d.jpg

IMG_0002_zpsb0603813.jpg

IMG_0003_zps5b56d0dc.jpg