ZM 219 engines with pistons..

Darren Howie

Pistons and crankshaft ? wow, I'm a bit torn here - we talk about stuff that will never be seen, so this is probably the ultimate in that, but at the same time I'm amazed like you.

I'd really love for someone to do a ultra detailed DB605 in - say - 1/8 or something with loads of details - cam drive gears, rocker heads etc etc. But then I am a gear head ... :-)

Edited by Thomas Lund

Reminds me about working gun recoil springs in tank models...

To be honest I'd wish they left off that kind of invisible gizmos and keep the price closer to the needs of my wallet.

Regards

- dutik

For as much as I love and respect ZM and the way they do things, I have to agree with that.

Im not a hatches open kind of guy, so occasionally that kind of philosophy is opposing the way I normally build. Their quality and the way their kits build however, (at least so far in the one Ive built) keeps me very interested in their models.

For as much as I love and respect ZM and the way they do things, I have to agree with that.

Im not a hatches open kind of guy, so occasionally that kind of philosophy is opposing the way I normally build. Their quality and the way their kits build however, (at least so far in the one Ive built) keeps me very interested in their models.

Agreed ... I'll probably be going down the ZM road purely for external accuracy reasons only ... which means a bucketload of build time for nought - I was flicking through the review posted on here just a little while ago and my 1st thought was "how will I ever get THIS built???" ... a little overfaced, I must say. I am sure their fit and finish is excellent but wow! ...

The only "guts" I've ever built for display was an Academy Tiger 1/35 with full interior ... I built it sort of as a 3D exploded diagram using 1mm high tensile stainless steel for joining the separated pieces ... could you imagine how much space an 'exploded' Uhu would take up? lol

lest bits means less errors for me :)

Rog

I'm not a Luftwaffe fan, but I too would rather see parts you can actually use, rather than stuff that is a novelty, but not really useful. I'd rather see some wheel chocks, or an airfield fuel pump, or a pilot figure, than pistons and con rods. If I was a real pilot, hopefully about to go flying, and I walked out and saw my aircraft had it's piston rings exposed, I think I'd be a bit disappointed!! I tend to think the same when I see any model with all it's access panels opened up; that is one sick machine.... And of course, seeing all those panels opened, when the thing is fully bombed up, is just very VERY silly...

Tim

Edited by wunwinglow

The gimmicky pistons do have a role though. You'll notice with the Skyraider that the engine assembly is quite complicated with those multi-exhaust lines? The forward and rear banks must have their front and rear halves align properly for everything to fall into place. The cylinders help you get the orientation correct.

With the 219, the same applies, but to a lesser degree. Lining up the con-rod linkages in the crankcase helps you to align the angles of the cylinder banks so they have the correct spread.

build in as a 1945 wreck, captured by advancing Allied troops

...and with Muppets popping out of every hatch :thumbsup:

@james

The more conventional (and well working) way are alignment pins...

Regards

- dutik

Edited by dutik

Interesting discussion here. From the comments, I would venture that most modelers see their models primarily as a representation of a weapon of war, poised on the flight line, fueled, cocked, and ready to sail off into the wild blue yonder to do battle. And I share in this vision to a certain extent. However, coming from a maintenance background, I also see an aircraft as a complex assemblage of components requiring a small army of technicians to keep it in fighting fettle.

My particular vision is of an aircraft parked inside a hanger in the wee hours of the morning, access panels open or removed, while sweating, swearing maintenance guys poke around inside, working against time to get the bird ready for tomorrow's mission; and I like to create dioramas that depict these scenes.

Consequently, I'm glad to see that the modeling industry is now coming out with kits that represent aircraft as what they are: the sum of their parts. I know not everyone shares my point of view, and that's fine with me. To each his own. I'm just glad that companies like ZM and HPH now offer kits that allow modelers like me to represent one aspect of a much larger picture.

Jerry Peterson

I am with you again, Brian. Too much opening just ruins the "shape" of the bird. However, such details really can be used as a good base for a diorama and that is where I see the reasoning for it.

Of course, each one his own. Let us enjoy the plastic.

Jozef

I am with you again, Brian. Too much opening just ruins the "shape" of the bird. However, such details really can be used as a good base for a diorama and that is where I see the reasoning for it.

Of course, each one his own. Let us enjoy the plastic.

Jozef

Yes, 100%. In the dio situation I think you expect the lines/shape of the bird to be different or possibly broken up, since the airframe may not always be the center of the observer's intended focus.

I really LOVE ZMs kits if just for the way the build up, and their basic overall attitude - IE being willing to listen to the SME in whatever they are doing, going so far as to even re-tool at a late date.

Cheers ZM, I will continue to purchase your models if you keep on your current track. (ESPECIALLY if you put out a T-28!)

Edited by Out2gtcha

Cool thread and interesting reading. I actually love the "skeleton" look of the Uhu. I had zero interest in the plane until on the ZM website and saw this and thought, "Oh yeah, that's gotta happen." Now I'm actually looking forward to buying one of these to give it a go! And one of their Mustangs to sit next to a Tamiya one in the far away future! I also applaud ZM's zeal for the hobby. The guy is living the dream if you ask me; own modeling company doing models the way he wants. In the end that's what makes this hobby so enjoyable-we do what we enjoy.

Bob