Finished - World Famous Golden Dragon landing

red Dog

Few days ago I started the next WIP. This project was in the back of my mind for quite a while. About time it's taken out of the stash and put on the bench :)

All guesses welcome, it shouldn't be too hard :) Weathering is WIP, not satisfied with the black wash... and yes it doesn't start very well because I messed the oleo extension by lack of studying pictures ...

GD_F18C_05gear.jpg

Edited by red Dog

Cool landing diorama idea, at least if I'm right, F18 golden dragons I presume catching the three wire, nor sure what pose but it's going to look killer I'm sure RD

Looking forward to the next update, as regards to your wash, should have gone for a brown instead of black my friend makes the metal more dirty then stale!

Cheers

Fred

Fred & Rob hit it on the Nail !!

But I'm sure Harv and Rich were making fun of the obvious guess game :) :doh:

Golden dragon F/A-18 catching (or just before) the third wire

GD_f18C_00.jpg

That's the aircraft i wanted to do but i'll first need to see if I'm able to paint the tails :) If not well the box decals will do.

GD_F18C_01.jpg

It's the venerable academy F18.

I'll use the Cutting Edge Cockpit, Aires exhaust, eduard placards and external set, Rhino seamless intakes and the daco book.

For once I started with the gear as I first needed to ensure that extending the gear for an inflight was possible.

I cut the internal metal rod and repositionned the legs of the main gear in the fully extended position. Then lenghtened the oleo with hollow metal rod supported internally by evergreen tubing. I was so happy to have the correct size tubing for once that i went straight into it without studying pictures correctly and failed to notice that the olea was actually extending both ways (up and down) rather than up only as I did it. I'll probably leave it at that for the time being.

GD_F18C_03gear.jpg

The nose gear seemed easier to convert but the internal metal rod neede to be cut at an akward position. Nothing the proxxon can't address :)

The oleo was then extended as well and the torque links placed adequately.

GD_F18C_02gear.jpg

GD_F18C_04gear.jpg

The gearbay are done as well.

GD_F18C_06gearbay.jpg

GD_F18C_07gearbay.jpg

as regards to your wash, should have gone for a brown instead of black my friend makes the metal more dirty then stale!

Yep, I'll wash that black and restart with a raw umber wash on the gears and the gearbay as well. thanks mate Edited by red Dog

• 1 month later...

It's been a while but I have slowly continued on the F-18.

The next step was the cockpit, I'll be using the Cutting Edge early cockpit for this model. No big caveat. Fitting seems pretty straightfoward.

GD_F18C_08cockpit.jpg

The tub was painted with Gunze H317 and grossly lightened. consoles were painted in black. After a protecting coat, a light wash was applied, then I drybrushed. Finally detail painting was done on the knobs and details.  

Since it's an inflight, I needed a pilot seated in there and he needs to be in before the fuselage is closed.

GD_F18C_09cockpit.jpg

The pilot is from the box with some tiny détails added. I had to change a bit the arms position as I wanted the hands on control as the jet will be split seconds from touching down. 

The helmet isn't very well detailled but will do. I 'll add a scratched 02 hose. Too bad i'm out of decals for the patches :)

GD_F18C_10cockpit.jpg

GD_F18C_11cockpit.jpg

The IP is Cutting edge as well. it's invisible in the picture but decals are applied behind the glass as the aircraft is obvioulsy powered. Still need to work a bit on it there and there.

That white instrument glowing in the IP received a drop of transparent green to tone it down.. 

GD_F18C_14IP.jpg

The intakes are seamless from Rhino models, they come in white resin so I won't paint them. I scratched my head for quite a bit as to how to mask the intake for the camouflage colour that wraps into the duct. I eventually did it with plain masking tape.  

GD_F18C_15_intake.jpg

The seamless intakes are way better than the kit's, especially in shape and hopefully will be easier to install as well :)

GD_F18C_16_duct.jpg

Some basic paint work was started into the Aires exhausts as well. No weathering yet, just plain alclad paint

GD_F18C_17_exhausts.jpg

Next is closing the forward fuselage and planning the support rod in the aft fuselage for the inflight display

Thanks for looking, hopefully it won't last another month before I update

Edited by red Dog

• 1 month later...

Back from holidays. As a motivation factor, I put the aircraft in scenario: That's what I'd like to achieve

GD_F18C_18_stand.jpg

GD_F18C_19_stand.jpg

The dream is to be able to make it stand only from the Hook, but I doubt I can make that happen with the limited material and knowledge I have. So I am sourcing transparent rod to place between the hook and the mains or maybe even closer to the mains.

I don't want to be too close to the main gear though as I guess the yellow paint will attract the eyes and I don't want then to pinpoint the supporting rod too much...

Edited by red Dog

This is so cool! I wonder if it would be possible by replacing the arrestor hook with a steel bar that slides into hollow steel or bras bars in the kit and under the base. It really like it when an aircraft is placed in a diorama that shows it in action.

Looking forward to more!

Nic

Hey RD!

good to see you back at this one looks like you're well on your way now!

Regarding your problem how about this one then just make the tyres touch the deck still keep the attitude and make the hook grab the wire this way the wire/ hook combo acts as an anchor for the whole plane!

hope that made sence!

Cheers

Fred