Air Modeller's Guide to Wingnut Wings - Vol.1

M&Models

Hello! This is our first posting on LSP, and we hope this is the correct forum to announce that David Parker and his group have once again, come out with an amazing book, this one on Wingnut Wings 1/32nd scale aircraft. Here's a link to see some photos http://www.mmodelstore.com/airmodellersguidetowingnutwings-vol1.aspx Thanks, And As Always, Happy Modeling!

Well, I wait.

It is hard enough to scrape up enough money these days to buy the models themselves, why would I want to spend some of it on a book about the models?

Second point, as I understand it, the WNW Gotha is a Mark 4. The Mark 4s were not covered in lozenge patterns. So, is the photo on the cover of a Mark 5 Gotha, which had the lozenges? Also, if it is a Mark 5, does the book tell me how to convert the Mark 4 to the Mk. 5?

I will sign up for a wanted model kit, but for a book? I want to see the book first.

Stephen

Stephen,

I have seen one photo (postcard) of a Gotha with the hex lozenge pattern on the wings and what looks like clear doped linen or blue on the fuselage. Unfortunately, the serial number is blocked. The "tail feathers" have the other multi-color irregular lozenge pattern. I would love to be able to build that one, but all I recall is the big "7" (with the German slash through it) on the side of the fuselage.

Not sure how that fact fits with the book, but am withholding judgement for now.

My library is larger than my stash by way too much, but I keep seeing interesting ones to buy, like several on Bulgarian Aviation before WWI that just showed up this week.... no, it wasn't "Vulgarian Aviation", Stephen, in spite of your interest in that subject. What ifs are a lot of fun, aren't they?

Tnarg

I didn't realize WNW had produced a model of the Roland D.IVa (?) - perhaps the book is worth the (unknown) price just for the bloopers. Even if this is published by WNW or Albatros, I question the need for it at any price. Remember folks, this is a WNW stash-holder of 80+ WNW models speaking.

...and this is just Vol.1...Save a bunch and just keep the instruction manuals from the kits.

Edited by OldTroll

Stephen,

I have seen one photo (postcard) of a Gotha with the hex lozenge pattern on the wings and what looks like clear doped linen or blue on the fuselage. Unfortunately, the serial number is blocked. The "tail feathers" have the other multi-color irregular lozenge pattern. I would love to be able to build that one, but all I recall is the big "7" (with the German slash through it) on the side of the fuselage.

Not sure how that fact fits with the book, but am withholding judgement for now.

My library is larger than my stash by way too much, but I keep seeing interesting ones to buy, like several on Bulgarian Aviation before WWI that just showed up this week.... no, it wasn't "Vulgarian Aviation", Stephen, in spite of your interest in that subject. What ifs are a lot of fun, aren't they?

Tnarg

I've pretty well cut back on buying books. I can see buying books on the history of real aircraft, but not books on models. I've sold all my model airplane magazines, except for the radio control mags which have plans of wood models one can build and fly.

I do not mean to discourage others from buying this new book, but like the magazines of models I no longer have any use for it or them. BUT, these books are great for alternative color schemes and certainly wonderful inspiration for other modelers. In days of yore I loved to look through books and magazines of this type. But, no longer. I am inspired up the gazoo and need no more stimulation.

Stephen

Hi guys, thanks for the feedback. For some modelers reference material is a must, and then there are others who are not much interested, or have enough to fill four walls. There are so many books and magazines that at times it is difficult to decide which to buy for your library. For WWI guys, this might be one to add to your treasures.

I took this bit off the AFV Modeller website for you who may be interested:

"This publication is the first in a series of books showcasing a number of different kit builds that detail the methods and materials used to achieve the stunning models. Some of the aircraft in the first volume include a Roland D.IVA, RAF SE5, Hansa Brandenberg, and a RE8 Reconnaissance. The book also contains technique features on rigging and painting woodwork finishes."

Stephen, don't believe that WNW or Albatros are involved in the production of this new book. AFV Modeller LTD are the creators of this, as they are with AIR Modeller and AFV Modeller magazines.

Hope this helps gives everyone some more insite and should you be interested in purchasing this book, you can pre-order it from M&Models at http://www.mmodelstore.com

Signing off for the night, And As Always, Happy Modeling!

Well, I wait.

It is hard enough to scrape up enough money these days to buy the models themselves, why would I want to spend some of it on a book about the models?

Second point, as I understand it, the WNW Gotha is a Mark 4. The Mark 4s were not covered in lozenge patterns. So, is the photo on the cover of a Mark 5 Gotha, which had the lozenges? Also, if it is a Mark 5, does the book tell me how to convert the Mark 4 to the Mk. 5?

I will sign up for a wanted model kit, but for a book? I want to see the book first.

Stephen

As the chap who made the Gotha that's on the cover I can confrim that the Gotha is based on the colour profile by Ronnie Bar in the Windsock guide to building the Gotha. Photos of this aircraft are in both the Windsock guide and on P14 of the Wingnuts instruction book - which incidentally shows other Gotha IVs with lozenge schemes too. Looks like a little more reference might help? ;)

regards David

As the chap who made the Gotha that's on the cover I can confrim that the Gotha is based on the colour profile by Ronnie Bar in the Windsock guide to building the Gotha. Photos of this aircraft are in both the Windsock guide and on P14 of the Wingnuts instruction book - which incidentally shows other Gotha IVs with lozenge schemes too. Looks like a little more reference might help? ;)

regards David

Thanks David, I stand corrected. And I appreciate the reference to the Windsock guide. My information must have been wrong.

I have been hesitant on building the IV kit with the lozenge camo but if it is real then I can go ahead. I really prefer to use the lozenge camo patterns whenever possible on WW1 aircraft.

Stephen

P.S. the fact that the Hansa Brandenberg kit is no longer on the market does not devaluate that section of your book because Combat Models (http://combatmodels.us) still has a 1/32 scale vacuform kit of the Brandenberg W29 available. Hopefully your article may help a modeler in building the vacuform kit.

Edited by ssculptor

David, I assume the "Roland D.IVa" should really read "Roland D.VIa?" The D.IVa was an experimental triplane while the WNW model is D.VIa (biplane) and the model pictured in the samples of the book is a biplane. Good luck with the book (although I will not be a buyer) as it may inspire and assist other modelers to join the WWI/WNW parade.