WNW Germany Junkers D.1

dutik

You comments are well appreciated. It is always good to have some more eyes on target. Just feel free to drop a note whenever there seems to be troubled water ahead :hi:

Regards

- dutik

• 2 weeks later...

While making the cockpit I run into an unseen problem: Corrugations!

Well, I know that this is a Wellblech aircraft, bur I wasn't aware, that corrugated sheet means no filling or sanding without destroying the corrugation... :shrug: No chance just to add some styrene and putty here and there, sand it to shape and go ahead this way until finished. Duh! :BANGHEAD2:

So I used the whole morning staring not at goats, but at the desk to find a solution :blink:

Here it is: I will make an "inner shell" from 0,25 mm sheet styrene to determine the overall shape (except within the open cockpit tub). This should provide the "canvas" to put the corrugated skin onto. I will give it a try.

Regards

- dutik

Started to glue parts. The lasercut set had a few bulkheads and floors too, so I used them instead of carving them out of styrene. I use any good shortcut, if available. After adding some square profiles to get anything, well, square, I got the idea to add some more and thick styrene below the floor to get a sturdy centerpiece. I now will box the two lower front compartments in.

img0030pisd2.jpg

img0031kpsk9.jpg

It fits the drawings. The center bulkhead is somewhat too forward but no deal, it will be hidden beneath the skin. And yepp, these are LEGO bricks. Looks like an alien spaceship in the dock, but these bricks are square and sturdy. Just what I was looking for to get the tailend bulkhead aligned.

Regards

- dutik

Edited by dutik

Struck by desaster: The rear fuselage got misaligned. When looked from above the fuselage is banana-shaped.

Not sure if I misaligned the wooden parts (there was some give and take with them) or if the heavy tail caused the problem.

**** happens. Will cut the tail off and restard the fuse in all-styrene. This will give a much more correct cockpit layout but also cause some thick sidewalls to connect front and aft (the real dael has no floor like the paper kit). The floor of the pit is the lower skin of the the fuse, so there is no space for supporting beams...

Regards

- dutik

• 4 years later...

It always works like a charm: Start scratchbuilding something not available as a kit, and -BADABOOM!- someone will release this one in styrene (or resin)!  :punk: 

So finally it worked as expected :yahoo:

Regards

- dutik