P-51 B Big Mac Junior

FlorinM

• 2 months later...

This old  kit is devoid of detail inside the air scoop, so an oil cooling unit had to be built. In the top left corner the air cooler, initially just a flat face, was built into a complete piece.

DSCF1632.jpg

The ovoid transitions to a more rectangular shape

DSCF1633.jpg

Edited by FlorinM

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The tunnel for the air cooler viewed from the rear to front. A dry fit of the fuselage halves with all the parts in their places has disappointingly revealed that by looking through the intake much of the details will hardly be visible...

DSCF1679.jpg

Edited by FlorinM

I know very little about Mustangs and your article is very informative, thanks for sharing and you are doing a great job with the old kit. I do agree the old Revell kit looks more accurate.

• 3 weeks later...

Forgive me for replying so late, but for some reason the "notify when a reply was made in the topic" function doesn't seem to work anymore...

Have to confess, this is my first -other than-Luftwaffe aircraft, so it's a learning experience for me, too!

Thin aluminum sheet was used to fabricate the underbelly oil cooler flap:

DSCF1730.jpg

• 4 months later...

Thanks for reminding me that I need to resume work!

I enlarged the line drawings from Airframe & Miniature no.6, The North American P-51  Early Mustang by Richard A. Franks to 1:32nd and did a comparison to both the Revell and Trumpeter kits. Oldie is better, hands down. General dimensions are really good. The fuselage outline of the kit looks good except on the lower part of the engine cowling, where a couple of millimeters need to be added. Wings are good, but the tips need a little squaring off. Empennage needs minor tweaks, having the tips a bit too rounded (it is a quick fix). I really expected things to be much worse!