P-51 B Big Mac Junior

FlorinM

Hey Geoff, the top photo doesn't look like a resto. Weren't the floors wood that

was coated with a non skid black ?

Just curious.

Mike,

You're absolutely correct. The very top photo does not appear to be a restoration. However, the floor boards are badly worn as evidenced by the black paint around the edges. Can't tell what version this is,but given the later style throttle grip I'd guess something from D-20 or later. The caveat in this is that many were retrofitted with the new grip and gun sight. No way to really know, but I would add, that the airplanes flown in WW II were mostly left behind for scrap. Hence, I doubt this is a post 1945 example, but I could be wrong. Maybe Martin could shed some light.

Geoff

Florin,

It's difficult to know the answer to your question. Normal internal structures, not exposed to the elements usually got GZC due to poor weather resistance. Something like the main spar was YZC to due repeated exposure to the elements. I left mine natural metal. I would suppose, and this is only conjecture, that if anything, it would be YZC.

HTH

Geoff

Thank you, I'll go with the Chromate yellow. Updates to follow soon, working on the tail wheel well.

Thank you, I'll go with the Chromate yellow. Updates to follow soon, working on the tail wheel well.

Looking good and Geoff is of course,spot on in his info. Before you make the tail wheel bay,be advised,the P-51s had a canvas boot that covered the insides of the bay and most of the tail gear. The lightening holes on the walls of the tail wheel bay also were covered with a felt like material. Don't be fooled by restoration birds as they all are pampered and land on nice dry safe airstrips and park in hangers that are cleaner than my kitchen probably.!!

Have a look on P-51SIG at the unrestored bird in the Switzerland museum as it is a very good example of an operational aircraft(albeit late war)

J

I was going to make the tail wheel well in its entirety, but it looks like it won't be necessary after all... This is what I've done so far, gluing the PE walls for the tail wheel bay (the Eduard stuff looked better than my attempt, so I used it).

DSCF1521.jpg

Were the walls covered in felt like this? (I'll add a coat of greyish color later)

DSCF1522.jpg

I have another question: Where was the canvas boot fastened? Please help me, Sir, I know my Messerschmitts and Focke-Wulfs, but the Mustang - not so much...

My attempts to access/join the P-51SIG were fruitless so far, it seems I need an active member of the group to recommend me.

Edited by FlorinM

The lightning holes were covered with individual rectangles of felt like material. There is a thread of mine showing the constuction of my master pattern. If you search on the venders forum or the in progress forum it is still there somewhere. Or maybe look it up on Greymatterfigures website whose linky is on this website?

The canvas attached to the top of the box that makes up the wheelwell and at the bottom at about the place where the tail gear makes it's 90 degree bend.

J

• 1 month later...

There were several failures making the canvas boot, from a Milliput blob (the most abysmal) to cigarette paper and paper towel. My latest attempt looks like this, being made from thick aluminum foil:

DSCF1550.jpg

DSCF1551.jpg

Please, I need some input on this! Does it even come close to the real thing?

Not too bad.........The only comment I might make is the folds or wrinkles seem a bit "stiff" or jagged.

Try some tissue paper / "Kleenex" type facial tissues..................you can soak it in either a mix of water diluted white glue and then paint, or just soak it in paint, an it creates pretty realistic tarps/covers.

The aluminum foil is intact, under the paper-mache, reverting to it shouldn't be too much of a problem...

Mr. Rutman, Sir, you mentioned a zipper and snaps. Would you please help me with their exact position, because all the reference I  could find was this drawing, and it is only kind of helpful.

boot.JPG