RAAF 76 Squadron Mirage IIIO and Atar 9C Turbojet

Thought I’d post my first serious modelling attempt, Revell’s infamous 1/32 Mirage III. The model portrayed is A3-40, a Mirage IIIO of 76 Squadron, RAAF with an Atar9C engine on a change out trolley.

For those in the know, 76 Squadron’s aircraft were camouflaged late in 76 Squadron’s life and carried a clean, satin finish; hence the absence of heavy weathering.

The kit was supplemented with the following aftermarket bits and pieces: -

• Fisher cockpit and Mk4 ejection seat;
  • Eric Galliers’ R530;
  • Revell, Flying High and AeroDecal Decals
  • SAC landing gear.

The following items were scratch built: -

• Vertical stabiliser (the kit tail is incorrect and shows up with tail flashes applied);
  • Pitot tube and air data sensors;
  • Wheel wells and well covers;
  • Various air scoops, vents, IFF antenna, cannon suppression rings, ground mapping radar and air brakes;
  • AIM-9B sidewinders and rails;
  • Engine tailpipe and afterburner flame bars;
  • Landing lights;
  • Access ladder.

The Atar 9C turbojet is built from the following components (both modified to match the correct dimensions): -

• Matterhorn Circle (M-C) Afterburner and tail pipe;
  • Compressor and turbine section from the kit engine (heavily cut and shut).

The engine stand is 100% scratch built using Evergreen strips and aluminium tube.

It took about two years to complete. After completing the decals, I took it out to the shed for the final satin clear coat and went to make some adjustments to the bench position. For reasons beyond me, I reefed the work bench up, tossed the Mirage across the shed and inflicted serious damage to the nose, canopy and wings. Four weeks and a shed full of expletives later it was safely tucked away behind glass.

8784090206_3bbc00e05c_o.jpg

8784088600_620952c39a_o.jpg8777515689_5b8527c5cd_o.jpg

8784088988_902e5804a2_o.jpg

8777516923_35a1a75564_o.jpg8777513611_20390b005d_o.jpg8777517269_b2e0b2f132_o.jpg8784091482_1b137ed127_o.jpg8777514319_7e2a161069_o.jpg8777514505_19a04e85da_o.jpg

Regards

MD

Now the pics are showing! Great job! I really like the unusual Mirage camo..............very cool.

The MC Atar 9C engine is a lil work of art. I had my copy for a long time before being engaged by a fellow LSPer and trading it for 3 sets of Moskit exhausts, an OOP mid-wing George, and a scratchbuilders N1K1 conversion for it.

Great job on the Mirage, it really turned out stellar!

Wonderful! :goodjob:

I have one kit in the stash but not the guts to tackle it. So I know you went a long, long way to come to this result! It's a beauty!

Regards!

- dutik

Guest Peterpools

MD

Welcome aboard.

Nice way to break the ice with your gorgeous Mirage. Outstanding work all the way around

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Wow, stunning models MD.

My only query is your choice of green. It might just be the photo effects though. What paint did you use?

Congrats on a great build.