RAAF F18F Front Wheel

rohan

Can anyone tell me if the Australian F18Fs have had the carrier landing lights removed from the front under carriage and also if they have had the catapult bar changed and replaced with a normal bar just like the RAAF F18As?

The catapult bar that is used to launch the F18A on a carrier was removed from the RAAF F18As and replaced with a bar. It looks the same but doesnt have the attachment to hook into the catapult. They did this cause they removed the catapult bar altogether and had shimmying, so they put on a bar to stop it I suppose as just a weight.

So I want to know if they did the same with the F18Fs?

The catapult bar that is used to launch the F18A on a carrier was removed from the RAAF F18As and replaced with a bar. It looks the same but doesnt have the attachment to hook into the catapult. They did this cause they removed the catapult bar altogether and had shimmying, so they put on a bar to stop it I suppose as just a weight.

So I want to know if they did the same with the F18Fs?

Had a look in the book, which doesn't mention any differences with RAAF aircraft, had a google https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=F-18F+RAAF&client=firefox-a&hs=MHr&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=fflb&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=t6abUaPBMcrD0QWFg4GoDw&ved=0CDEQsAQ&biw=800&bih=461 :coolio: and they look the same, has the nose gear light too.

Edited by Kagemusha

Thanks mate. Ive looked as well. But the ones they initially purchased have them. But I wanted to know if they now changed it. I need to find a 2012 photo. What date was on your photo?

Hi Rohan, hope this helps.

This is the front gear of an F-18E VFA-27 at Avalon in 2003.

F-18EVFA-272003_zps7e6aa4af.jpg

This is the front gear of our Aussie Rhinos at Avalon 2011.

F-18FRAAF2011_zps358734a3.jpg

And again at Avalon in 2013. Seems to be unchainged to me.

F-18FRAAF2013_zps6d2af732.jpg

F-18FRAAF20132_zpsc65cb94e.jpg

Jason