Guillows Halberstadt

MIG17

I just scored one on EBAY for $60, good deal or so-so? I was surprised I won it to tell the truth.

Box, great

Contents, 100% unbuilt

All plastics

Plans- fair to poor. The creases are all bug eaten, but this is minor, I'm sure I can find a replacement

I might turn around and sell it, any idea on value?

Thanks

Steve

Well, what scale is it?

Or at least what is the wingspan?

What is the kit number?

As far as the model collecting community knows Guillow never issued all plastic kits. However, it is possible that they may have produced some flying models made of very thin plastic. Their current line up are wood stick and tissue model kits. Are the parts thin plastic like vacuform kits? The very thin plastic models would be for flying models.

Years ago the Paul K. Guillow Co. (http://www.guillow.com/index.aspx) made kits of WW1 aircraft in scales that ranged from 1/12, 1/14, 1/16 scale. Now they have only 4 different large scale wood kits of WW1 aircraft left in their 200 series on the market but not the Halberstadt. The current prices are $50 each, new.

Your Halberstadt kit would be a collector's item or an item that may be wanted by a flying model guy. I'd say the price you paid was a good one. I would probably pay that for the Halberstadt if it was a large kit like the current ones (20 to 24 inch wingspan) and if all the parts are in the box. Or if it were a 1/32 scale item.

You can contact the Guillow Company and see if they have the plans available for sale. I have bought missing plans from them so I could complete old kits of theirs. It depends if they have some in their files.

http://www.guillow.com/index.aspx

The best place to resell this kit would be on eBay but since you got yours there that means that you probably paid the highest going price.

Of course you could always build the model yourself.

Enjoy,

Stephen

Its in the same series as as the ones currently offered, I think the Halberstadt was discontinued in in1965, but I don't know for sure.

Thanks for the info~!

Steve

$T2eC16JHJF8FFqMKLT9wBRiY1NON3w~~60_57.J

$T2eC16hHJHEFFmSOZsUYBRiY1MImSg~~60_3.JP

$%28KGrHqYOKpcFFysFy%29lfBRiY1PVK5%21~~6

$T2eC16hHJF8FFptLrbMPBRiY1T%28K%21w~~60_

Based on your description that was not a very good deal. As an occasional eBay buyer of such kits, I don't go above $20.00 even with a glowing description of the kit. The 40-50 year old decals are rarely viable and time and humidity wreak havoc with the paper and wooden components, to say nothing of termites, ants, beetles and mice! My recommendation would be to build the model yourself and get the pleasure of completing a challenging project.