UMI resin conversions

Sabre F-86

I'm pretty sure UMI's products ended with Dave, and the moulds have probably been discarded. For a close look at the 190S set, you can check out my build thread:

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=26603

No idea about the G-12 set, but I reckon either would be nearly impossible to find these days. I'm planning to scatch-build my own G-12 conversion when the time comes.

Kev

• 1 year later...

I'm pretty sure UMI's products ended with Dave, and the moulds have probably been discarded. For a close look at the 190S set, you can check out my build thread:

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=26603

No idea about the G-12 set, but I reckon either would be nearly impossible to find these days. I'm planning to scatch-build my own G-12 conversion when the time comes.

Kev

Years ago after Dave passed on I borrowed the G-12 conversion set from Charlie Metz. The set was already unobtainable back then. The fuselage was pretty rough and the rear cockpit pretty much a rough copy of the Hasegawa kit. I Was going to clean it up then buy it but used it as a guide to convert styrene instead. This was easier than working on the resin. I did copy and make a resin form form the canopy. This needs refinements so as to fit my fuselage before a new vac canopy can be produced. This is where it sits. I was going to carry this on in Daves name using my "improved" version so to speak but it is unclear to me about the ownership even if I provide copies at cost to enthusiasts.

Rick

That's a bummer all around.  I was looking to see about getting Dave's Ki-43 (early) resin conversion for the Revell kit.

Bummed,

Lee

I have this conversion set. PM for deal making if you are interested. I will probably never get to using it. I want another "Nate" kit.

Rick Griewski

I have no sympathy for the guys who promised Dave that they would buy his kits, which sold for around $50 each and then ignored  him when he got the kits made. Dave had a very limited income, mostly disability pensions ( lovely "agent orangeâ€) and he was dependent on the income from selling the kits. The big mouths who encouraged him to buy the resin and produce the kits and then reneged on the deal get no sympathy from me. Screw them.

To the others who wanted to buy the kits but never got around to it and now want it, tough cookies.

I bought a bunch of his stuff. I'm keeping them. Dave was a real friend, not just an acquaintance.

Let this be a lesson to you, when an individual issues a resin kit and you would like to have it, ignore the latest Revell or Hasegawa kit and buy the resin instead. The big companies will reissue the kits. The individuals who make their own kits often get sick and die.

Also, the resin molds self-destruct over time and use - a remarkably short time.
Stephen

I am sure there'll be new G-12 and 190S-8 conversions coming along...

Of course, there's actually very little to either of these aircraft that wouldn't be relatively easy to scratch build (except canopies and they were about the weakest part of the UMI set).

Matt

• 1 year later...

Hi, guys. And sorry for necroposting. But I accidentally found this topic. Is it possible to buy from someone A6M3 conversion kit in 32nd scale?

"necroposting"? LOL. Not familiar with that one. Is this word part of the zombie revolution in movies and literature?

I picked up two of Dave's "Claude" kits. Both are a bit rough but having the trainer variant is worth the clean up effort. Both are coming along. I think that the trainer kit is pretty rare. Dave was a pioneer in the between the wars ac.

Rick

"necroposting"? LOL. Not familiar with that one. Is this word part of the zombie revolution in movies and literature?

Quite clever really. A dead thread that one reposts into.

Good to know about Alleycat and their G12.

Matty

Hi, guys. And sorry for necroposting. But I accidentally found this topic. Is it possible to buy from someone A6M3 conversion kit in 32nd scale?

Too funny....I've seen (and even used) the term Zombie thread but necroposting is a new one to me.  To answer your question, I'm sorry but no, there is no A6M3 conversion kit available.  If you want to convert an A6M2 to an A6M3, you'll need an A6M2 kit, The engine, cowl (sans the cowl flaps) and the oil cooler scoop from an A6M5 kit; do a little bit of reshaping to the carb intake on the cowl and some scribing to represent the fuel filler ports on the outboard wings.  Not too hard and it's been done before (at least one person here did a bang-up job with the Tamiya kits).  If I could find it, I'd post the link.  Hopefully someone else will help out.  The easiest way to an A6M3 is with two Tamiya kits, the A6M2 and the A6M5.  You can probably buy just the engine sprues and cowl but the oil cooler will require a little more effort as it's on a separate sprue.  Someone may have a beater A6M5 that you can rob the parts from....

I picked up two of Dave's "Claude" kits. Both are a bit rough but having the trainer variant is worth the clean up effort. Both are coming along. I think that the trainer kit is pretty rare. Dave was a pioneer in the between the wars ac.

Rick

As I know, this term is enough old in internet and is not associated with zombie boom.

Interesting information about A5M, but I'm serching for Reisen conversion. :( Don't like Zeros, but I felt that I need for Model 32 variant in 32nd scale.

And I think that I found a solution: 21st Century kit's nose could be used with Tamiya's A6M2. Only wingtips should be scratchbuilded.