What thinners do you use?...................................

rohan

Here is a thought for everyone who uses Humbrol thinners

I saw in the shop the other day that a 28m bottle of thinners was 2.56 euros. Now 28 goes into 1000 35.7 times. Now multiply 35.7 by 2.56 and that equals 91.4

So if you are using Humbrol thinners, you are paying 91.4 euros a litre!!!!

That is very expensive!

I pay £3 for the large 125ml tins.

That works out at £24 per litre.

But a 125ml tin of thinners will last me 2-3 builds!

Its the best stuff I have found for Humbrol, White Ensign and Model Master enamels.

At that rate a litre of Humbrol thinners would last me several years!!!!

:hmmm:

I just get a litre of thinners from Carrefour. Its 6 euros. Its perfect But I wonder if anyone thought of that before using Humbrol thinners? Its nuts!!!!

Only if you are paying the price you are being quoted.

:)

sure but I assume the Humbrol thinners are the same price world wide or roughly the same.

It was just food for thought as I had never thought of it being that price a litre

Edited by rohan

Sometimes a fresh batch, in a smaller quantity (albeit more expensive) is good for getting things done, and for safety.

I wince at the thought of some people having gallons of potentially explosive, volatile liquids housed within their model-making dens.

(Says he still struggling with less smelly acrylics but advised to stock up IPA etc!)

Tony T

Good thing cars don't run on enamel thinner, eh...?

...though that stuff is still cheap compared to what you can find in the beauty department. Ever calculated the price per litre for Chanel No.5? ;)

I'm using Revell enamel thinner for 5€/100 ml. That bottle lasts a year or two...

I use odourless white spirit (mostly for cleaning) and Revell Colourmix for spraying special finishes, and add a drop or two of Rustins to accelerate drying.

Still trying to work out acrylics, but that's another matter.

However, it's the cocktail of volatile liquids we possess that trouble me. I don't like seeing stuff probihited from sale, but there comes a point where reason and sanity must prevail.

No spontaneous combustion or anything equally ghastly like pig barn fires. I'm just talking about the 'man cave' moving to the basement or top floor, where materials might create a potential tragedy and also risk fire-fighters lives, and in which all of us can take responsibility. We used to do that in our 'shed' and not risk our family's well-being.

Are we being reckless, or negligent, is my question?

Tony T

(not a fire-fighter or lawyer)

Edited by Tony T

Celulose thinners is my choice. A 5litre can from my local car spares costs me all of £15.

The owner of the shop put me on to the particular brand as he swears by it. He buys old Jaguars and does a full restoration job on them and this is the thinners he uses when he sprays them. He's currently racing 2 D type Jags.

I use Lacquer thinner primarily for my enamels. Alclad, I use Acetone and for general brush cleaning, etc., I use regular old paint thinner. For thinning those thick enamels in the bottle, I use Testor's Model Master Airbrush Thinner. Makes those thick paints brush well again.

I use Lacquer thinner primarily for my enamels. Alclad, I use Acetone and for general brush cleaning, etc., I use regular old paint thinner. For thinning those thick enamels in the bottle, I use Testor's Model Master Airbrush Thinner. Makes those thick paints brush well again.

Same/same although I don't thin Alclad.