Hobby Boss P-61A

TimW

Thanks--I'm glad I waited and went for the PE; it really improves things far beyond what I could ever paint or cobble together.

Same with the instrumentation. Sawed off the front bit of the nose (this is going to be an A model). Did so with some trepidation, but I think it came out OK.

More to come!

Tim W.

This is a great build - nice work!

I have a question regarding the leading edge intakes on the wings for you (or anyone else working on this kit right now). What was/will be your approach to dealing with them? The PE parts did not seem to fit well and there will some noticeable seams once the wings are fully assembled. I'm thinking of abandoning the PE parts and making new "fins" out of plasticard to be fitted after filling/sanding/priming the resulting gaps. The area is pretty noticeable I believe. Thoughts?

I have a question regarding the leading edge intakes on the wings for you (or anyone else working on this kit right now). What was/will be your approach to dealing with them? The PE parts did not seem to fit well and there will some noticeable seams once the wings are fully assembled. I'm thinking of abandoning the PE parts and making new "fins" out of plasticard to be fitted after filling/sanding/priming the resulting gaps. The area is pretty noticeable I believe. Thoughts?

I need to double check, but the Eduard exterior set might have replacement parts.

I've still had no luck as to whether the P-61A had folding armor or that armor plate/armored glass thing for the forward gunner/scanner. Guess I'll flip a coin.

The restoration website only shows the folding armor (with no explanation); my Osprey book shows the armored glass/plate but nothing about whether it's an A or a B or whatever.

Grrr.

Tim W.

Just to confirm, Eduard does include replacement leading edge intakes in set 32333.

http://www.eduard.com/store/Eduard/Photo-etched-parts/Photo-etched-set/Aircraft/1-32/P-61A-B-exterior-1-32.html

Got mine from SprueBros, so they are available.

Tim W.

I have a question regarding the leading edge intakes on the wings for you (or anyone else working on this kit right now). What was/will be your approach to dealing with them? The PE parts did not seem to fit well and there will some noticeable seams once the wings are fully assembled. I'm thinking of abandoning the PE parts and making new "fins" out of plasticard to be fitted after filling/sanding/priming the resulting gaps. The area is pretty noticeable I believe.

Just observing, Im wondering if cxk5075 already has the PE and they just dont seem to fit?

NIce to get all of this type of info up front, when I get this kit (and HOPEFULLY an -15/ XP-61E conversion!)

:popcorn:

Cheers,

Just observing, Im wondering if cxk5075 already has the PE and they just dont seem to fit?

NIce to get all of this type of info up front, when I get this kit (and HOPEFULLY an -15/ XP-61E conversion!)

:popcorn:

Cheers,

Possibly--I think there are PE screens with the kit, but I'm sure I'll be using the Eduard ones--they seem to be just a bit more detailed and if the kit ones have fit issues, it's all to the good if I don't have to use them.

But I'm not there yet. I just got the cockpit nacelle together. Not the best fit, but overall it went OK. The biggest problems were around the aft end of the nosewheel bay/front end of the weapons bay.

But nothing that will be very noticeable in the end.

Tim W.

Hello Tim W and Out2gtcha!

Thanks for commenting on my post! The issue I'm having is in step 31 (Left Wing). The right wing in step 36 also has the same issue. When you cement E8/E9 to E5& E6, you then sandwich all that in between the wing halves. This leaves a seam in front and behind both parts E8/E9. In addition there are recessed "tabs" that the PE parts don't fit into very well. So far, it seems the best option might be to omit the kit PE parts, fill al seams, and glue in the individual "fins" so it's all smooth.

I looked at the Eduard set instructions online, but it looks like the "frame" of these replacement parts will prevent the plastic parts E8/E9 from joining together with E5/E6 like they should, which will then throw off the whole wing/intake assembly. When I dry fit there is not much play, and I'm pretty sure the seams will look bad after painting unless I come up with a plan to deal with this now.

I hope I'm making sense...

Thanks again for your replies.

cxk5075, with the P-61 I'm building, I glued in the p.e. very carefully and that went okay. For me, that was one of the most challenging parts of the kit, next to the wing-fuselage connection, where I used some brass supports. After closing the wings I started to sand and polish the leading edge, but I damaged one of the p.e. parts with my enthousiasm and flaxpads... so I had to remove it all together. I replaced it with the finest plasticard I could find, which did the trick. Looking back, I might do all of them that way, as you suggest. You can also detail the area behind the vanes; you see more (smaller) vanes at a different angle, that add a lot of detail to the intakes.

Anyway, cool kit, isn't it?

Tim, great looking RO station & cockpit! Looking forward to more !

Nic

Guys--

Thanks for the tips on the PE! I'll definitely have my boxing gloves off when I tackle that part of the kit.

Managed to get the cockpit nacelle together, though I can't say the fit was the best, especially at the nose. Not sure if that was the Eduard instrumentation causing trouble, the nose weight or me being hamfisted! Either way, it's coming together. More pix to follow...

Tim W.

This kit is awesome indeed. I agree with you this area is definitely one of the most challenging parts of the kit. But it is still a fun kit. I have kind of been skipping around in the instructions - I tend to first assemble things that are in "halves" first (fuel tanks, the .50 cals, rudders, etc.). Helps to deal with most of the seams at once.

cxk5075, with the P-61 I'm building, I glued in the p.e. very carefully and that went okay. For me, that was one of the most challenging parts of the kit, next to the wing-fuselage connection, where I used some brass supports. After closing the wings I started to sand and polish the leading edge, but I damaged one of the p.e. parts with my enthousiasm and flaxpads... so I had to remove it all together. I replaced it with the finest plasticard I could find, which did the trick. Looking back, I might do all of them that way, as you suggest. You can also detail the area behind the vanes; you see more (smaller) vanes at a different angle, that add a lot of detail to the intakes.

Anyway, cool kit, isn't it?

Tim, great looking RO station & cockpit! Looking forward to more !

Nic