Sign in to follow this  
paul fisher

So what about a hybrid Vac/resin kit?

The main concern is the fact that most modelers will not go near a vac kit. They were raised on injection molded kits and some actually fear anything else. Many modelers simply want a kit that will be fairly easy to assemble and will yield a model with great detail. They are not looking for another great challenge in their lives.

I can see producing a model in the $60-80 range, but double that and you may scare away the bulk of modelers and kit collectors.

Frankly I cannot see you getting your investment back.

Sorry to be such a spoil sport and yes I can be wrong, but I see what I see.

Stephen

I can see doing a combination of vac and resin on major kit components ie. vacced fuselage with resin wings and tail surfaces. Although, that probably wouldn't reduce costs very much. I'm willing to pay for all-resin kits but not an MB 5.

Wyvern, Gannet, Seahawk, Scimitar, Sea Vixen, Tiger, Fury, Demon,...

I think this is an excellent idea and may be the only approach allowing us to get the fifties-sixties jets & props we're only dreaming of!

For sure, they won't be as easy to assemble as a mainstream kit but a full scale resin kit also asks for different techniques. Moreover, Paul kits are not purchased by the mainstream modeller. So, I don't think this will be a problem. As far as the plastic is thick enough, a vac is not more difficult to assemble. This is the critical question!

Personally I'd prefer an aircraft which entered service; Firebrand, Scimitar, Wyvern, Sea Hawk... be great to see any one of those.

Edited by Kagemusha

So having begun my little model company doing vac-form kits some 35 years ago...I have been following with great interest some of the chatter on various forums regarding the renewed interest in this topic.

I personally enjoy the medium if the basic forms are reasonably good, and I have been thinking about kitting up the Martin-Baker MB-5 in 1/32 along the lines of the Dynavector kits...only with nice resin detail bits instead of white metal.It might be that I could do some of the more esoteric stuff we all want for a wee bit less money that way.

There is still the time and money to invest in good masters, and then the decision on male or female molds as well as how far to take things. I think alot of the old ID Models and Combat Models kits get purchased to satisfy the desire to "fill a gap" in one's collection, and then they get stuffed in the closet to quietly gather dust.Some of them were very good, shape-wise, many are not worth the plastic they are made of.

So...rather than talk about Tempests...I am very interested in your thoughts about this...I have the machinery in house, and there are kits that could be made this way that will be far too expensive in pure resin.

In other news, our shiny new website will go live this week...Later this week as I am still plugging in all the products, so please do stop by and visit !

Best,

Paul Fisher

Good idea Paul. I have also been thinking and developing ideas along the same lines for a number of years now. The big problem for me is finding someone who can produce the high quality female mould tooling that I need for kits of this scale.

It will be interesting to see what ideas pop up?

Regards

Derek

(PS We may be able to help each other here?).

Edited by Derek B

I did this kit a while back. Do a google search for PP Aeroparts Firefly. Vac formed major parts, loads of resin, etched brass, white metal, decals and so on. Complete labour of love, but we sold enough to make it worthwhile! Pity the rest of the business went belly up. I sold PP Models to Dave Parkins at Flightpath, and I think he modernised the kits to include more resin.

1-48-pp-aeroparts-firefly-stbd-front.jpg

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/64703-pp-aerokits-firefly-questions/

Tim Perry

Tim, that's beautiful and I'm not a fan of militaria, but it's easy to see that was a very good kit.

I'm not sure the resin is such a good idea as that's where the costs pile up. My intention is to stay with white metal, cast by a guy who knows his stuff. I have to deal with resin casters for all my car clients and none is exactly cheap. Of course Paul has it all in house, so he's half way there.

Martin

I'm not knocking Combat Models kits, and not having seen the HK B-17 yet, but comparing those two extremes is, IMHO, unfair. Simply, you get what you pay for and my guess is for what we'll pay for an HK B-17 and what we can pay for a vac B-17 is almost apples and oranges. Go ahead and throw the Guillow's B-17 in for variety, ISTR it's even cheaper than the CM kit IIRC, not to mention a 1/33 card kit of a B-17.

Edited by famvburg

I'm not knocking Combat Models kits, and not having seen the HK B-17 yet, but comparing those two extremes is, IMHO, unfair. Simply, you get what you pay for and my guess is for what we'll pay for an HK B-17 and what we can pay for a vac B-17 is almost apples and oranges. Go ahead and throw the Guillow's B-17 in for variety, ISTR it's even cheaper than the CM kit IIRC, not to mention a 1/33 card kit of a B-17.

It's one of the few examples out there where you can have two kits of the same subject; one in vac-form with resin details and one in IM. That was my point. I know they're different kits, I'm not that new to this. But there aren't a lot of kits out there that allow us to compare between a vac-form and an IM kit when looking at price.

That clear it up?

Matt

The main concern is the fact that most modelers will not go near a vac kit. They were raised on injection molded kits and some actually fear anything else. Many modelers simply want a kit that will be fairly easy to assemble and will yield a model with great detail. They are not looking for another great challenge in their lives.

I can see producing a model in the $60-80 range, but double that and you may scare away the bulk of modelers and kit collectors.

Frankly I cannot see you getting your investment back.

Sorry to be such a spoil sport and yes I can be wrong, but I see what I see.

Stephen

That's mostly because the quality of vac-form kits is so hit-and-miss. You might as well throw resin kits into your generalizing bucket as well, since they're not IM plastic kits. But those are the manufacturers with the balls to produce some of these obscure subjects, so if you want the plane, you'll build the kit. Not everyone just wants Tamiya kits. Some of us want strange obscure planes on our shelves, so want Paul Fisher and others like him to produce subjects that they do.

Even if the kit's around $100-120, that's still cheaper than most of the current crop of 1/32 kits, so you get value added in.

I wish you the best of luck Paul with the endeavor, I'll get whatever comes out, but I'll be first in line if it's a Wyvern.

Matt

I like the idea - major "easy" assemblies as vacs, with the rest as resin/plastic. Look at Welsh Models. They make hybrid vac/resin airliners, and the newer ones are quite nice. How about a 1/72nd scale 737-300? That is truly a large scale plane!

There may be an issue getting modelers to accept vacs. However, if the vac part of the kit is kept as simple and easy to assemble as possible, I think it should be possible tp make it happen.

Bob

How about a 1/72nd scale 737-300? That is truly a large scale plane!

There's a new IM 1/72 737-200 from BPK:

http://bigplaneskits.com/

Not a bad price for what you get. And it's really not that large either - no bigger than a 747 in 1/144 (a bit smaller actually). I'm pretty sure Welsh does at least one 737 in 1/72, and AIM does quite a few 1/72 airliners as well (though no 737s).

I'd love to be able to afford any of them!

Kev