Sign in to follow this  
paul fisher

So what about a hybrid Vac/resin kit?

So having begun my little model company doing vac-form kits some 35 years ago...I have been following with great interest some of the chatter on various forums regarding the renewed interest in this topic.

I personally enjoy the medium if the basic forms are reasonably good, and I have been thinking about kitting up the Martin-Baker MB-5 in 1/32 along the lines of the Dynavector kits...only with nice resin detail bits instead of white metal.It might be that I could do some of the more esoteric stuff we all want for a wee bit less money that way.

There is still the time and money to invest in good masters, and then the decision on male or female molds as well as how far to take things. I think alot of the old ID Models and Combat Models kits get purchased to satisfy the desire to "fill a gap" in one's collection, and then they get stuffed in the closet to quietly gather dust.Some of them were very good, shape-wise, many are not worth the plastic they are made of.

So...rather than talk about Tempests...I am very interested in your thoughts about this...I have the machinery in house, and there are kits that could be made this way that will be far too expensive in pure resin.

In other news, our shiny new website will go live this week...Later this week as I am still plugging in all the products, so please do stop by and visit !

Best,

Paul Fisher

Hi Paul,

I was never a fan of resin kits till I built a few of your car kits, I haven't been a fan of vac forms....but I was almost tempted by a Dynavector before. MB-5?You are quite the tease aren't you? Tim Keily

Paul,

as a long time respecter of your kits, albeit on the car front, I would hate to duplicate anything with you as nobody wins that way.

I will largely be doing non-military stuff anyway, but I know you do a few racers, so I'll PM you to chat about plans. I find resin contract casting a bit pricy and have a good w/m man anyway, so although I intend to do vac-forms in female moulds, I won't be doing any resin bits, in order to keep prices down.

Cheers,

Martin

VERY cool. Paul. I have not built a vac yet, but I do have the old Combat F7F...............lets just say the 3 views are the best thing about the whole kit. I plan on making it a "what-if" Reno unlimited.

On the vac/resin hybrid front, although Ive not yet built a vac if it means getting some cool esoteric stuff in our 32nd medium im ALL for it.

I guess the bottom line from my perspective as far as actually shelling out cash for something like this, it would have to be a "Fishered" vac kit. By that I mean the only way I think Id put out green is if the kit had your signature quality in it; AKA Dynavector quality vac moldings (which I see you already mentioned), Fisher-esk resin quality details and the ability to build the kit (as much as any vac can be) right OOB and have a winner...........all be it someone possessing some modeling skills like Im sure any vac kit requires.

Edited by Out2gtcha

I really like that idea. It would be a great way to get lots of kits onto the market, especially ones that aren't represented before. The problem with large scale vac kits is that they usually are so crude. If you handled them, I'm sure they would be at least Dynavector quality.

I personally would really enjoy an MB-5 or Firebrand. Both are really cool planes that are severely under-represented in kit form.

I hope that this venture works out Paul. Your kits are really top-notch

Matt :party0023:

I would give a vac/resin Wyvern a try if you did it. The other aircraft mentioned hold little or no interest for me.

A Wyvern would be awesome! I have a Dynavector one I just picked up, I would not mind getting one of those in 1/32 at all. That giant spinner is so cool looking.

Hi Guys...

Many thanks for chiming in...the Firebrand is right up there with the Wyvern and Scimitar on my list of favorite airplanes...I suppose I should have been born in England as that's my favorite stuff.All of the stuff I mention, and many others are large enough that tooling costs alone make them almost impossible in a full resin format. I started in on the Scimitar many moons ago and when I got the woos laid out I realized just how big a model it is!Same with the wonderful McDonnell Demon...22 inches long.

I did all of my early vac kits in female molds, using pressure forming behind the plastic can yield pretty crisp moldings and good surface detail.I guess we'll have to take a closer look,

Paul

I think that's an excellent compromise! The combination of vac-form and resin details...from you especially...will allow some of the more interesting but maybe esoteric aircraft to see the light of day as detailed and accurate kits at a decent price.

The MB.5 in 1/32 scale would be amazing!! I think for those who haven't done a vacu-form before, the MB.5 would be a good choice. Relatively clean lines, simple configuration and shapes. It's my favourite "could-have-been-a-contender" aircraft, another one of those handsome British beasts with all those prop blades. Love the idea!!!

Wyvern, FIrebrand, Gannet, deHavilland Hornet...too many others.

Thanks Paul for taking the time to listen

Richard

Edited by R Palimaka

Yep, I think it's a terrific idea. I can see something of a renaissance for large-scale vac kits in the near future, as I reckon it's a great way to bring to market all those marginal types that just aren't viable as mainstream kits, but in a way that's more cost-effective than full resin kits. We'll be starting our vac/resin GB in a couple of months, so that should further encourage interest in this type of kit, and perhaps inspire doubters and fence-sitters to have a go.

Kev

This is one of the best ideas I've heard in a long time. Your resin kits are so top of the line, but are getting very pricy. So putting those resin details into vac-form kits has to be a great way to cut costs drastically.

I know I'd be down for any of the kits you mentioned. A Demon.... that would be one sexy jet. Maybe a Banshee could be in the cards? Please? I would be eternally grateful for one.

So putting those resin details into vac-form kits has to be a great way to cut costs drastically.

That's the bit that remains to be seen. How much cheaper will be the resulting kits? They may only be a little bit cheaper, rather than drastically. Would this have an impact on the interest in this type of kit? What would the actual price difference need to be in order to gain significant interest from or traction with modellers? Unanswered questions I'm afraid, and probably unanswerable until the scenario is actually tested in the marketplace.

Kev

That's the bit that remains to be seen. How much cheaper will be the resulting kits? They may only be a little bit cheaper, rather than drastically. Would this have an impact on the interest in this type of kit? What would the actual price difference need to be in order to gain significant interest from or traction with modellers? Unanswered questions I'm afraid, and probably unanswerable until the scenario is actually tested in the marketplace.

Kev

I think it would be cheaper, even with the details. Look at the price of a 1/32 B-17. A Combat Models kit with resin details runs about $80, while the H-K kit is almost $300. So, I think that since there will be so much less resin to pay for and cast, it would make the kit cheaper. Vac-form kits are generally very cheap against their IM and resin counter-parts. But I think Paul would be able to give us a better answer.

Matt