Squito2340

Wingnut Wings DH-2

Whilst waiting for the oils to dry on the Ninak, I thought I'd have a quick go at a DH-2 just to increase my insanity in rigging. So here goes. I'm a little down the track with this one just because I didn't quite know how it would turn out. The difference being in the painting evolution of the wings. Thought I'd pre-colour in a wood tone to emphasise the framework then do the usual process of linen and smoke. I think the idea worked.

IMG_6077_zps5666fa16.jpgThe wings have yet to be weathered as does the cockpit being finished off but I thought I'd just share some of the experimentation so far. I think , in order to match the pictures in the instructions I'm going to have to create a stippling effect.

Any thoughts in this direction from any of you would be welcome.

IMG_6071_zps66e5b3a7.jpg

IMG_6074_zpscef1c8a6.jpg

IMG_6073_zpsbef4d48c.jpg

IMG_6075_zps20c2683c.jpg

IMG_6070_zpsc26878ae.jpg

Great start! It really is a great kit and I recently finished mine. It was my first foray into WWI as well as WnW. It was a super rewarding experience and Im really looking forward to your progress as well as getting back to another WnW kit myself!

It went together like a dream.................just be careful and follow the rigging instructions as you'll need to rig the main wing box before putting on the spindly rear fuse assembly.

Cheers! :popcorn:

Brian,

Your build is the reason for why I started mine. It was simply exquisite. The detail, painting and overall look is stunning. Thanks for the tips

Nice start Jeremy. I have this one in the stash as well and I too found Brian's build extremely informative and inspirational. One question though, is there such a thing as having a "quick" go at a DH.2? :lol:

Cheers,

Wolf

Good call.... The first part was quick..... It's not often you build a kit where the a painting takes less time than the rest of it but in this case I'd have to say the easy bit' s almost done.

In many ways I agree with you Marius. PC10 is a hard one . Can't and won't say I'm an expert. By the time is dusted up , washed and faded I hope that I'll get some brown muddy tones into the surface which should more closely resemble what I interpret it as. I've e got a 1/4 scale pup n the go which should have the same sort of tones and hopefully it'll look good in the air when I'm finished. It's easy compared to the finese of a scale model. Super glue, balsa, a straight edge and a right angle.