Birdcage Corsair the Hard Way!

LSP_Kevin

I just measured mine two examples with a vernier caliper. The Tamiya ones are 7.2mm wide and the resin are 8mm if that helps.

Ron

Thanks, Ron. So, a little wide then, but not by any amount worth worrying about.

Kev

Kev, that resin exhaust panel is made by Moskit. There should be a pair of fairings that fit on the inside of it. I can try to find mine if you need a reference.

Carl

Ah, that makes sense, Carl! The instructions mention that the exhausts themselves are available separately, but do show you how to assemble and fit them. I do in fact have those internal fairings, and have decided to fit them first, and insert the exhaust assemblies into them, rather than the other way around as suggested by the instructions. I was worried that if I installed the exhausts first, the fairings wouldn't fit over them. At least this way I have a bit more wiggle room.

Kev

Kool,  I did forget about the correct, I didn't go back and re-read the thread.

I think the wheels are correct. The kit ones are definitely too thin.  I used the same set but I can't recall where I got them. I thought it was Two Bobs?

nasm_f4u_04.jpg

This looks like it was taken at Udvar Hazy?  Is that right?

OK, so after a quick'n'dirty test fit of the exhaust assemblies, it looks like they'll pass muster. It was too awkward to try to take a photo of them in place while I was holding them in place, so you'll have to take my word for it! The bonus is, if I play my cards right, I should be able to leave them out until possibly after painting. It depending on whether the sections that protrude forward end up interfering with the engine once it's in place. Either way, I think I'll have to go for the closed cowl flaps option, as there's just no way I'll be able to make the area behind the engine look decent.

Kev

The kit tires are way too narrow and as Ron says your resin set is only slightly wide though the center of the tread pattern is a little off.

Regarding the colour of the tail gear, I wouldn't worry whether you do it white, light grey or silver. The bottom of the aircraft and the tailgear were so dirty from exhaust, oil and dust you won't make out the colour after weathering anyways.

Good luck with the exhaust.

Allan

The kit tires are way too narrow and as Ron says your resin set is only slightly wide though the center of the tread pattern is a little off.

Regarding the colour of the tail gear, I wouldn't worry whether you do it white, light grey or silver. The bottom of the aircraft and the tailgear were so dirty from exhaust, oil and dust you won't make out the colour after weathering anyways.

Good luck with the exhaust.

Allan

Thanks, Allan. So, resin tyres it is. I just need to decide whether I'll modify the tread or not. Thanks for the advice on the tail wheel assembly, too. I reckon a heavily weathered off-white should do it.

Kev

Love seeing you ploughing into this again Kev. It's looking really neat.

Jim

Thanks, Jim. I can't believe how long I've been hammering away at this build, on and off - and how long there still is to go! I'm aiming to see it through to the end now without any breaks or distractions.

Oh, look! A butterfly!

:rolleyes:

Kev

Focus, young Kevin, focus….

Great to see you back at the coal face.  May you have smooth sailing always.

Thanks, Dan. Not sure if I'll achieve much today, but I'll try to get to the workbench at some stage.

Kev

Thanks, guys. In the end, I only had about 10 minutes at the workbench, so I glued a missing part to the tail wheel assembly (after having to repair it due to a horribly placed sprue gate). I think I can start painting the tail wheel area now, and once that's done, I should be able to join the fuselage halves. Woo hoo!

Kev