Birdcage Corsair the Hard Way!

LSP_Kevin

This painting is looking very good, Kev. Great job, especially considering the challenge of painting everything in situ.

Hubert

Thanks, Hubert. You're dead right about the challenges involved, too. I had to make a few colour compromises, as my research suggests that the side consoles themselves were largely DDG as well. It was easier to paint them black, and them attempt to pick out the details as I went. I've over-brightened these photos to try to bring out the details, so the parts look a bit better in the flesh.

Kev

Great stuff, Kevin.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thanks, Mark. I've finished painting and installing the oxygen bottle now, and it really adds quite a bit of colour. It's a shame it'll be mostly hidden when it's all finished.

Kev

So, time to put the seat together. The resin seat from Verlinden comes with moulded-in straps, but you have to supply your own shoulder harnesses. I painted and weathered the resin part first:

iSVK1R.jpg

And then added the shoulder harnesses from wine bottle foil:

zA9kpN.jpg

I've also added the Waldron instrument dials to the main instrument panel:

9NRLrY.jpg

This process was an absolute pain. Talk about doing it the hard way! I couldn't get the really small dials for the side panel to punch out cleanly, and basically wrecked so many that I gave up. I'm going to have to cheat a bit on the rules of the challenge, and dig out some airscale dials to finish things off.

Kev

Any thoughts on the instrument panel, guys? I thought it was looking OK under the circumstances, but I'm worried now that you guys are too polite to tell me it's rubbish!

With the cockpit nearly complete, I need to work on the tail wheel area so I can close up the fuselage. I take it from other builds I've seen that this area should be the infamous salmon pink colour?

Kev