Birdcage Corsair the Hard Way!

LSP_Kevin

Quite the journey on this one Kev and I sincerely applaud your perseverance. Especially with Tamiya's kit so readily at hand. Nonetheless you've done a fantastic job of this build. Despite you wanting this Corsair of your bench finally, it may very well be a case of not seeing the forest for the trees. It definitely looks, to me anyways, a brilliant build and well worth the effort you've put in. Two thumbs up from me Kev!

Cheers,

Wolf

Brilliant Kev! Closer and closer to the finish line, and it looks great.

Jim

Quite the journey on this one Kev and I sincerely applaud your perseverance. Especially with Tamiya's kit so readily at hand. Nonetheless you've done a fantastic job of this build. Despite you wanting this Corsair of your bench finally, it may very well be a case of not seeing the forest for the trees. It definitely looks, to me anyways, a brilliant build and well worth the effort you've put in. Two thumbs up from me Kev!

Cheers,

Wolf

Thanks, guys. I do agree that the model presents very well, but there are many and varied technical flaws that would prevent it from doing well in a comp, for example. And there are so many things I'd do differently if I were to do them again. And this might sound crazy, but I have the Trumpeter F4U-4 kit in the stash, and find myself tempted to pull it out and do it OOB, partly for comparison's sake, and partly to apply all those lessons while they're still (mostly) fresh.

:mental:

Kev

Thanks, guys. I do agree that the model presents very well, but there are many and varied technical flaws that would prevent it from doing well in a comp, for example. And there are so many things I'd do differently if I were to do them again. And this might sound crazy, but I have the Trumpeter F4U-4 kit in the stash, and find myself tempted to pull it out and do it OOB, partly for comparison's sake, and partly to apply all those lessons while they're still (mostly) fresh.

:mental:

Kev

Glutton for punishment down there eh?    :lol: 

So, here are the first photos taken with my new Canon 1300D camera. I've just used the standard 18-55mm lens that came with the kit, but I did purchase a dedicated macro lens as well, which I'm yet to take for a test drive. The standard lens is certainly not much good for close-ups!

Firstly, an overall shot:

iyiR0F.jpg

My attempt at a close-up of the pilot's headrest, which highlights the relatively shallow depth-of-field you get out of the box:

IIiRu5.jpg

And a more dramatic illustration caused by focussing on the pitot tube:

WpxaB5.jpg

That pitot tube is the Trumpeter kit one, as I broke the end off my scratch-built one, and lost it to the carpet monster. I just need to paint it now - and hope I don't break it again!

Anyway, I've got a long way to go before I have this new camera under control, so you may see me posting all kinds of sample images for feedback. I should probably post them at a higher resolution, too.

I'm hoping Carl's prop blades will arrive this coming week, and then I can push on and get this one finished.

Kev

Looks great, Kevin. Are you sure you want to install that pitot tube before everything else is finished? :doh:

I don't know if you have ever heard of this software but it would solve your depth of field issues and would probably save you the cost of another lense. http://www.heliconsoft.com/

Only reason I haven't bought it myself is my 10 year old mac doesn't support it. :notworking:

Hi Kev,

Regarding your photography...   Firstly, there's no substitute for a dedicated macro lens in these circumstances.   There are a number of things that govern depth-of-field, including your aperture (f/stop) and camera-to-subject distance.   The closer you move towards your subject, without adjusting your aperture/f-stop, the more your depth-of-field decreases.  You may get some acceptable shots using your zoom lens by following these basic rules:

1.  Try using a small aperture of at least f/22 - be careful, though, because extremely small apertures can cause other image issues.

2.  Stabilise the camera on a tripod or improvised rest, such as a wheat bag (the type you put in the microwave and heat up to apply to sports injuries etc...)

3.  Use a remote shutter release or the camera's timer function to ensure you don't move the camera during image capture.

4.  Try focussing about a third of the way into your subject because a reasonable amount of your image that is in acceptably sharp focus lies between the camera and the point you focussed on.   

HTH

Guest Peterpools

Kev

Just going back and catching to be current on your progress. The weathering is a knockout and I'm sure over the next few nights I'll more then enjoy reading through the build thread plus learning a heap of new tchniques.

Enjoy your new Canon DSLR.

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

Thanks for the tips, guys. Regarding the photos, I did nothing more than point and shoot, leaving everything in auto-mode, just so I could make a start on using the new camera. The reality is I know nothing about photography from a technical perspective, and wouldn't know an f-stop from a bus stop. Now that I have decent equipment, it's time to learn!

Are you sure you want to install that pitot tube before everything else is finished? :doh:

Well, aside from the prop, everything else is finished! But I take your point, and I probably should have waited until the very last to add it.

Kev