Birdcage Corsair the Hard Way!

LSP_Kevin

I just looked up the prop set referenced by speedgraflex and it is also for a -1D meant as a direct replacement for the Trumpeter part. Still the wrong prop blades but another hub that looks better than Obscureco's.

Actually, I think I might be misunderstanding you, Allan. I'm confused now about what the correct prop blades should be for my build: the paddle type or the pointed type? The photos of the bent and mangled prop on the crashed plane suggest a paddle-bladed prop, but I really can't be certain. I interpreted your comments as an endorsement of the pointed blades in the Obscureco set, but your comment above suggests that they are incorrect, along with the similar HAD Model parts. So now, I'm just thoroughly confused!

Anyway, I'm in no hurry about that, and will use the kit prop if it comes to it.

In the meantime, I set about painting a fresh patch of paint for the fuselage numbers. I cut a rough shape of the appropriate size in some Tamiya tape, and then laid it in position on the model, protecting the existing decal with a sticky note:

HY6NjA.jpg

Then I painted in a thin mix of Gunze Intermediate Blue:

fhs4nr.jpg

I repeated the process on the other side by simply flipping the mask over. This means the painted shape is just upside down compared to this side, but hopefully it'll look convincing enough when the time comes. Once the paint is sufficiently cured, I'll give the area another coat of gloss clear, and apply the decals.

Here's the nose art figure:

D0wRww.jpg

And finally, another overall shot:

e6jhUb.jpg

I've overdone the post-shading on this side of the fuselage, unfortunately, but it should be recoverable, even if I have to repaint the affected areas.

More soon!

Kev

Looks pretty damn good to me Kev!

Thanks, Shaka. I've toned down the excessive post-shading somewhat, though I still think it's a little too strident. Looking at it now, I wish I'd done more work on lightening and fading the paint, but will see what I can do from here on out. I've just got to careful not go get too heavy-handed!

Kev

Looks good to me, too!

Thanks, Gaz. I plan to introduce a lot more dirt, grime and staining before it's done. I've also been arguing with myself about whether to apply the black wing walkways - photos make it look like they've mostly worn off, but my favourite build of this scheme features them, and they help break up the blue expanses on the wings, so I think I'll add them too.

Kev

Actually, I think I might be misunderstanding you, Allan. I'm confused now about what the correct prop blades should be for my build: the paddle type or the pointed type? The photos of the bent and mangled prop on the crashed plane suggest a paddle-bladed prop, but I really can't be certain. I interpreted your comments as an endorsement of the pointed blades in the Obscureco set, but your comment above suggests that they are incorrect, along with the similar HAD Model parts. So now, I'm just thoroughly confused!

Anyway, I'm in no hurry about that, and will use the kit prop if it comes to it.

Kev

Here's a pic of the Two Mikes blade on the left next to the Tamiya blade on the right.

26779891409_864b35bb2d_c.jpg

On the left is what is commonly called the wide chord blade and on the right is the narrow chord. You want the narrow chord.

Now the good part, you don't have to use the Obscureco set, you don't have to use the kit part... you use the correct Tamiya prop!

Every Tamiya birdcage and -1A kit comes with the correct blades... four of them. All the kits exported out of Japan comes with the clear cowl which also includes a clear prop hub set. The hub even has a hole at the rear to mount on the shaft though it is slightly too small ( I also have the quickboost engine so I checked ) but I am sure you can make the adjustment.

If you can't find the extra blades and hub close to you I can send you what you need just for the asking.

Allan

Edited by monkeysee

Terrific! Thanks, Allan - I'm finally getting it now, I think. I do have the Tamiya kit in the stash, though not so conveniently located. I'll drag it out, however, and take a look. This sounds like an eminently workable solution! It also sounds like I should just save the Obscureco prop for the Avenger kit, whenever I get around to building it. It just seems odd to me that Tim would put it in the box if it wasn't applicable, but there you go.

I'll let you know the final score on this one in my next update.

Kev

So, I've finally been able to drag the Tamiya kit out of the stash, and have the clear prop hub parts to hand. There are only 4 prop blades in the kit, however, so I'm going to have to take one and make copies in resin, otherwise I won't have a prop for the Tamiya kit! My track record with resin casting is abysmal, however, so this may all end in tears. Allan, I'll be in touch if things go pear-shaped!

Kev

I was just joking hence the smiley. You don't seem to confident in the resin casting but maybe your luck is finally turning. :)

Allan

Gotcha. Well, over the course of several attempts, I've yet to turn out a usable resin part, so no, not confident at all! But as you say, there's a first time for everything. And I have a fall-back in the shape of a mate who actually knows what he's doing with this stuff, so I'll get there one way or the other!

Kev