Birdcage Corsair the Hard Way!

LSP_Kevin

Stickers!

a6r5bm.jpg

Apart from the aircraft number (576) on the fuselage, this is pretty much all Meteor Productions gives you. Almost no stencils, no walkways (though photos show they were almost completely worn off on Marines Dream), and only some white strips to represent sealant tape to complete the picture. What's there still needs a bit more work with Microsol.

The fuselage number is supposed to go over some fresh paint of a different colour, where an older number had been painted out. I'll show the process of painting that next, but you may wonder why I've already applied the fuselage stars'n'bars in that case. Well, it's because the two items juxtapose quite tightly, and had I painted in the colour where the number goes without the national marking there for reference, I would have got it in the wrong place, guaranteed. But never fear, I have a plan that will ensure no masking tape touches the existing decals!

Meteor Productions gives you the nose art pin up as a two-part decal, with the set I'm using being part of their Pyn Up range. Luckily they give you 2 of the shaded overlay decal for the figure, as it's so thin that I've already ruined one while trying to apply it. So, I'm down to my last chance! At least the white underlay went down without any trouble:

Jestvw.jpg

This photo also shows how, despite annealing and rolling, I couldn't get the photo-etched cowl flaps to follow the curve of the cowl - or any curve at all, in fact.

More soon!

Kev

Thanks, Dennis. I'm hoping to be able to post some updated photos today.

I was looking at the Obscureco prop last night, and while a very nice piece of work, I noticed that the little instruction leaflet mentions Tigercats, Avengers, and Hellcats - but not Corsairs! In looking at the blades, they have a tapered shape with a pointed tip, rather than the paddle-type I was expecting. My conclusion is that this prop is not applicable to my build, but would like some expert confirmation before taking any steps.

The issue this leaves me with, is that the kit prop blades aren't great at all. They're almost completely flat with respect to the hub, and have guide marks for the yellow tips moulded in as recessed panel lines. I may have to go with it, but am open to any suggestions!

Kev

The base decal looks very good.  Good luck on the color overlay decal... nerve-wracking with such beautiful nose-art decals.  Interesting point about the cowl flaps.  It looks a bit odd now that you mention it.

Yeah, and I annealed them before rolling them, and spend ages rolling them, but couldn't induce an actual curve anywhere. And people wonder why I hate PE!

Kev

Kev,

Using fast reply on LSP mobile for the very first time. I read through your build thread. This was by turns exhilarating and frustrating by proxy, and I would like to thank you most sincerely for having the guts to go with this, warts and all, in what is ultimately a fantastic experience, beautifully documented! (Your photography is so lovely and if there is a photographer happy with infinite variations of white balance on seamless white I would be surprised and delighted to learn of his/her existence). So many highlighlights... I won't bother you with a recap, but I did pull away a fantastic amount of insight into painting and scratching details, and I applaud you for being able to build long term projects such as this one.

Thanks, Dennis. I'm hoping to be able to post some updated photos today.

I was looking at the Obscureco prop last night, and while a very nice piece of work, I noticed that the little instruction leaflet mentions Tigercats, Avengers, and Hellcats - but not Corsairs! In looking at the blades, they have a tapered shape with a pointed tip, rather than the paddle-type I was expecting. My conclusion is that this prop is not applicable to my build, but would like some expert confirmation before taking any steps.

The issue this leaves me with, is that the kit prop blades aren't great at all. They're almost completely flat with respect to the hub, and have guide marks for the yellow tips moulded in as recessed panel lines. I may have to go with it, but am open to any suggestions!

Kev

Kevin,

The Obscureco prop you're looking at is 1/48 scale. It should have the narrow chord like the Tamiya kits not the wide paddle. To my knowledge no one ever made a resin narrow chord prop set. I have two Jerry Rutman sets with the paddle blades and nine Two Mikes Resin sets. Both sets have the proper twist to the blades and if you took the time you could probably sand the correct taper to the length of the blades. I can spare a couple of sets so let me know if you need one.

Allan

Kevin,

The Obscureco prop you're looking at is 1/48 scale. It should have the narrow chord like the Tamiya kits not the wide paddle. To my knowledge no one ever made a resin narrow chord prop set. I have two Jerry Rutman sets with the paddle blades and nine Two Mikes Resin sets. Both sets have the proper twist to the blades and if you took the time you could probably sand the correct taper to the length of the blades. I can spare a couple of sets so let me know if you need one.

Allan

Hi Allan,

The Obscureco set I've got is definitely 1/32 scale - it even says so on the instructions! It's set OBS32003, and has a hub and 3 separate blades. The instructions say it was mastered by our own Rodney Williams. Here are the instructions:

Lmyd2V.jpg

And the parts:

KZGxE9.jpg

So we're saying that this prop is not correct for my Corsair, as I've surmised? If so, I'll definitely take you up on your offer, Allan, and will get a PM off to you as soon as we confirm the situation. The hub on this set will be quite a bit of work to mate with the Quickboost engine anyway, so not using it does have some advantages!

Kev

Kev,

Using fast reply on LSP mobile for the very first time. I read through your build thread. This was by turns exhilarating and frustrating by proxy, and I would like to thank you most sincerely for having the guts to go with this, warts and all, in what is ultimately a fantastic experience, beautifully documented! (Your photography is so lovely and if there is a photographer happy with infinite variations of white balance on seamless white I would be surprised and delighted to learn of his/her existence). So many highlighlights... I won't bother you with a recap, but I did pull away a fantastic amount of insight into painting and scratching details, and I applaud you for being able to build long term projects such as this one.

Thanks, Bruce - I'm glad someone is enjoying this little freak show in plastic! I've just had a bit of a disaster with the underwing decal, but hoping to be able to salvage it. If not, there's always paint masks.

Kev

Kev,

Thank you so much! I was wondering... I think Hungarian Aero make a resin Curtiss propeller assembly for your Corsair in 1/32 scale... forgive me if this was previously discussed, suggested, reviewed... but still in terms of consideration as a proper replacement this may be a possible solution. Was this considered? All the best from La La Land.

I was looking at Obscureco's website and their current product line, the only 1/32 scale item listed is a set of P40E wheels. I didn't know you had a 1/32 prop set. My blades are the same shape as yours so nothing gained there but my prop hub looks much nicer. I don't envy you having to drill either the spinner or the engine to mount it.

I just looked up the prop set referenced by speedgraflex and it is also for a -1D meant as a direct replacement for the Trumpeter part. Still the wrong prop blades but another hub that looks better than Obscureco's.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Hungarian-Aero-Decals-1-32-F4U-1-CORSAIR-PROPELLER-SPINNER-Resin-Set-/132278603317?hash=item1ecc6b4e35

Sorry I got your hopes up.

Allan

Kev,

Thank you so much! I was wondering... I think Hungarian Aero make a resin Curtiss propeller assembly for your Corsair in 1/32 scale... forgive me if this was previously discussed, suggested, reviewed... but still in terms of consideration as a proper replacement this may be a possible solution. Was this considered? All the best from La La Land.

I was looking at Obscureco's website and their current product line, the only 1/32 scale item listed is a set of P40E wheels. I didn't know you had a 1/32 prop set. My blades are the same shape as yours so nothing gained there but my prop hub looks much nicer. I don't envy you having to drill either the spinner or the engine to mount it.

I just looked up the prop set referenced by speedgraflex and it is also for a -1D meant as a direct replacement for the Trumpeter part. Still the wrong prop blades but another hub that looks better than Obscureco's.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Hungarian-Aero-Decals-1-32-F4U-1-CORSAIR-PROPELLER-SPINNER-Resin-Set-/132278603317?hash=item1ecc6b4e35

Sorry I got your hopes up.

Allan

Thanks, fellas. I wasn't aware of the HAD Models set, but it does look pretty good. But, in keeping with the original spirit of this build, I'll use the Obscureco set as provided by Tim. At least now I know it's mostly suitable for purpose, and the hub is still a major improvement over the kit part.

And yes, drilling out that prop hub will be a PITA! I don't currently even own a drill bit large enough. I'll sort something out.

Kev

Kev, this is such a heroic build.  It's really cool to see you at the decal stage - I am absolutely cheering for you.

Jim

Thanks, Jim. I'm sure there'll be some twists and turns yet! But the good news of the morning is that I managed to get the nose art decal down without any real issues. Photos soon!

Kev