Birdcage Corsair the Hard Way!

LSP_Kevin

Not really. It was a challenge given to me at the outset, and I accepted it. I could easily have turned it down. Can't resist a challenge! I just didn't realise it would be this difficult...

I think it was the Me 163 kit. One day I'll round up some AM for it and take it for a spin.

Kev

You're a good man, Kev.

Yes, I seem to remember the Hase Me163 kit. You sure you don't have the Hase Fi-156 Storch kit with the Eduard PE set? I know I sent it to somebody, somewhere!

I have the memory of an alcoholic, forgetful goldfish on morphine who's developed Alzheimer's. 

You sure you don't have the Hase Fi-156 Storch kit with the Eduard PE set?

I do have a bagged example in the stash somewhere, but I got it for cheap at a swap meet a few years ago. I certainly need to track down the Eduard PE set, though!

Kev

OK fellas, now that we have my diagnosis out of the way, let's get on with another update!

Firstly, a major step forward, with the central wing assembly now mated to the fuselage:

iKUSiI.jpg

Not only did it fit remarkably well, but the twist in the wing assembly seems to have gone too. I've now just got a minor issue with the reinforcing strip along with wing root, which Trumpeter chops up into 3 segments that don't match:

XsNx1Z.jpg

There are a couple of ways to approach fixing this (aside from ignoring it), so I'll decide which way I go in due course. Overall, though, I'm pretty chuffed with how well this part has worked out.

A I noted earlier, I've also been working on the outer wings. They're a bit of a nightmare, in that the separate access panels don't fit very well, and the PE hinges to attach the ailerons and flaps are a right PITA. In the photo below, you can see that I've had to build up one of the separate panel sections on each wing with styrene sheet, as their natural sit in the recess created a slope:

Bm0EbO.jpg

Also obvious in the photo is that few of the other panel inserts sit flush either, but I elected to largely ignore this - something I may live to regret!

The other issue with the outer wings concerns the gun ports. They're simply cut-outs moulded into the upper and lower pieces, 1970s-style:

mP4UuL.jpg

They're not round, even, or symmetrical, and look horrible. There's an easy way to fix this, but it's a bit laborious. Still, it has to be done! The first job is to enlarge the holes to accept short lengths of styrene tubing:

b1oxSB.jpg

There's no need to be too precise with this step, as long as the styrene tubing touches in enough places for some liquid cement to secure it into position. Once that's done, I glued the two wing halves together and set them aside to harden up.

The next step is to glue the tubing into the holes with liquid cement. Once cured, I packed out the gaps around the tubing with a mixture of CA and talcum powder:

JuNgh6.jpg

Finally, trim them back and sand them flush, and we now have perfectly even, perfectly round gun ports:

8BlYQO.jpg

The last step, which I didn't photograph, is to enlarge the holes with a #11 blade, as the inner diameter of the styrene tubing I used is too small. Simply insert the blade into the hole, and gently spin the handle so that the blade scrapes plastic away from the inside of the tubing. Don't push, or the blade will catch and cause a gouge! You don't want that. It only takes a few minutes to do all 6 openings, and the result is a set of gun ports that are much closer to being an accurate size.

My next step is to work on modifying the turtle deck to represent the transitional faired-over version that has been identified as appropriate for "Marines Dream". I want to do this before having the added awkwardness of a full set of wings to contend with!

More soon.

Kev

Guest Peterpools

Kev

Nice come back for sure. Super fix on the machine gun ports - sure is looking mighty fine

Keep 'em coming

Peter