Birdcage Corsair the Hard Way!

LSP_Kevin

a question... how is the general fit fuselage halfs and wings etc......

I have no idea yet Mal, but I plan to tape it all together first up so I can get a feel for the general fit. In some ways it doesn't matter though, as there will be enough hacking away at this one to cause havoc anyway.

Kev

I have no idea yet Mal, but I plan to tape it all together first up so I can get a feel for the general fit. In some ways it doesn't matter though, as there will be enough hacking away at this one to cause havoc anyway.

Kev

( there will be enough hacking away at this one to cause havoc anyway).

Didn't Trumpeter already do that to this kit???   :blink:    Running away as quickly as possible.

This post is more about trying to keep this thread (and this project!) alive, rather than presenting any great progress. As promised earlier, I've taped the main components together to get more of an idea of the kit's basic engineering and fit:

ybH0Wk.jpg

It's OK, at least at this stage. Given how much aftermarket is going to be shoved into this thing, it's probably a pretty misleading result though. I did notice that the fit of the outer wing sections was a bit agricultural in places:

TpX6r9.jpg

The plastic is relatively soft, and feels a bit spongy when you're cutting it. Not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing at this stage. Believe it or not, this is my first-ever Trumpeter build!

Kev

• 1 month later...

I love that term "agricultural!" You don't hear it every day, but it instantly conjures up an understanding of what state something is in. I have battled trumpeter kits before and went away from them for a while for being "too much work." Then I started my Vampire and B-17 and that notion became kind of irrelevant. Any kit (and quite often trumpeter as it's the only option) can be a great canvas, it just depends what picture you want to paint on it. It also gives us a chance to use good old fashioned modelling skills*

I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with this one Kev. Either way, I'm sure it'll be a winner!

Craig

*says me who is using a 3D printer to build a B-17 fuselage............  :whistle:

Speaking of Leonard Nimoy, I guess with his passing the tribute build got a whole new meaning.

Leonard's death was actually the catalyst for starting the build. It was meant to be quick and easy, but as usual, I've hit a few self-made snags along the way. Still, I like how it's coming together, and hope to have it done by the end of next weekend. And then, with any luck, I can kick this one along!

Kev

Thanks Shep, and apologies to all for a lack of progress on this one. My modelling time comes and goes in waves, and sometimes it just waves at me as it's going by. I really want to finish my Nimoy tribute Enterprise first of all, but I've also got a couple of reviews to do, so I'll get back to this one when I can.

Kev

• 3 weeks later...

Well, this thread is approaching its second anniversary, and now that I've cleared the bench enough to make a proper start, I guess I better! I've spent part of the evening taking stock of all the aftermarket parts, and trying to formulate a strategy for incorporating them. But wow, it's quite overwhelming! There's enough aftermarket here to replace virtually everything except the engine and main airframe! I think the first order of business is to determine whether the Verlinden cockpit can be used, so I'll start some test fitting and see if I can form a definite conclusion either way.

I've got 4 days off over the Easter weekend, so I'm hoping I'll be able to get a bit done here.

Kev

Well, I seem to have struck my first hurdle already. The main point of this project is obviously to turn the Trumpeter F4U-1 into the birdcage variant, but I seem to be missing the fuselage spine part from the Montex conversion set. I have the canopy and associated clear parts, but that's all I can find. I'll contact my AB about it, but I suspect the horse has long bolted on that one. My only fallback is to see if I can clone this area of the Tamiya kit and use it here (I don't fancy modifying the Trumpeter fuselage spine, but it's not out of the question I guess).

Kev