Academy F/A-18B A21-105

Whitey

The modelling continues.

Today I managed to mask and paint the 2OCU fin flashes.

I considered using my Hawkeye decals but after painting the markings on my Zero I thought I'd paint the black and yellow stripes and use the Tiger head in the circle decal only.

Firstly the yellow. Tamiya acrylic. Careful measuring and reference to Hawkeye decal sheet and it works.

Some polishing with Flory polishers and it looks ok.

spacer.gifYellowfinflash.jpg

Next the black. Tamiya TS-29. This is not quite so successful. The edges are a bit ragged but I should be able to clean that up with some polishing.

spacer.gifFlashanddecal.jpg

Now I have to let it dry overnight. Clean up the edges and apply the black circle and Tiger head.

Fingers crossed.

A bit more progress yesterday. Painted the circle that the 2OCU Tiger will go into. Needs a bit of a clean up around the edges due to too much haste getting the tape off on one fin. The other is fine. I prefer to take the tape off while the paint is dry to try to reduce a dry paint "ridge" formed on the edge of the tape, but this time the multiple pieces of tape stayed together and rubbed against the yellow causing some streaks because I rushed. A light sand and a polish will eliminate them.spacer.gif
spacer.gifFinflashroundbit.jpg

I spent most of yesterday (Sunday) working on the interior of the canopy. I added Archer rivet decals, some corrugated foil on the rear bulkhead, some wire and the canopy locking devices. I wanted to have a removable canopy that could be displayed in both the up and down position but it became too difficult to support when I wanted it open. I didn't want to waste this detail.

spacer.gif
spacer.gifCanopyrailinteriordetail.jpg

So, back to square one.

I am mindful of damaging finished models due to house moves, etc so I never stick canopies in the open position but prefer to have them removable so that the interior is visible but I couldn't eat my cake and have it too with this model.

Edited by Whitey

I wanted a fully detailed interior canopy so I had to cut some holes in the area beside the cockpit to accommodate the locking devices. Thanks to mate for this hint a while ago. I initially rejected his hint because I didn't want to ruin a clean area, but in the end had to go that way and it worked. Careful measuring, drill a few holes and a No 11 blade squared off 4 of them. It needs a bit of cleaning up but that will come.

spacer.gif
spacer.gifCanopyrail.jpg

I polished the canopy with the dremel polishing cloth thingy yesterday and although it looked really shiny, it had some polishing compound in the grooves, etc. I washed it off under some warm water and detergent and then used the dremel with the canopy wet and covered in hand wash and now a crystal clear canopy.

spacer.gif
spacer.gifCanopyon.jpg

I've still got to add a bit more detail and highlights but I am really pleased with the work so far. Then its on with the markings, install the landing gear and add some weathering as it finally rolls onto final with three greens. BEEP.