the next Tamiya 1/32 kit anounced

ChuckT

not sure about that one............Jerry and Judy have one or two in their decal set alone.......

http://www.eagle-editions.com/whats-new/2-uncategorised/32-corsair-eaglecals.html

That's why I said not many. I wasn't sure if any were in tri-color (I'll admit to being wrong about that), but I still think the earlier scheme was more common. Even looking at the EE decals, they have more blue-grey color options than tri-color ones.

Back on topic, I don't think many (if any) of the birdcage F4U-1s were in the tri-color scheme. The main scheme was the blue grey over light grey scheme, same as early war Wildcats, TBDs, SBDs, etc.

I don't know what percentage were in what scheme, but interestingly enough, in the link provided by zaxos345 (in the other Tamiya Corsair thread), it's depicted in a tri-color scheme.

Tamiya Corsair

Ditto ... Tamiya Acrylics all the way ... My Paasche Airbrush has never had any issues ... for mine, it cleans up quicker and more easily too!! ... personal choice :D

but overall they are terrible to work with in large airbrush type amounts

Wow, thats news to me. I use only Tamiya Acrylics and have never found them terrible to work with. Quite the opposite actually. I sprayed a 1/24 Trumpeter 109 multiple times using only Tamiya and had no problems at all. The only cleaning of the brush was to run a cup of WIndex or alcohol through it between colors and after painting. No clogging at all. BTW, "fumes" and smelling bad are two different animals altogether. Tamiya smells good (at least my wife thinks so) and fumes are non existent. Then again, this is one of those oft repeated discussions where entrenched opinion is just going to be rehashed to no gain or end.

For that last point yes a personal choice. To me acrylics dry way too fast, no mater how quality, do not flow in an airbrush nearly as well as enamels, and it the end, another main reason for me is they are weak..........easily damaged by anything from water to cleaners, to plastic prep, to 70% alcohol. Id rather not have the paint dictate if I HAVE to clear or not.

Even when they work perfectly............ acrylics just do not shoot nearly as nice as enamels do, or create as nice a finish (especially gloss colors like black)...........and with a huge paint spray booth, one of the main reasons acrylic guys complain about them (smell) is moot.

Again, all personal choice, but Ive seen Tamiya acrylics at their best...............for my money no match for enamels as far as smooth shooting and smooth finishes; no contest. They do have their place for me, but its hand brushing in the cockpit and wells.

But I digress.......... APOLOGIES............ & since there is already a discussion of enamels VS acrylics elsewhere.............

Im still undecided on this one. Im still wondering about the price point. I have to assume its going to be about the same as their P-51? Im even wondering at this point if they will make their R-200 available separate.............

IIRC, birdcage F4u's started in blue-gray over light grey but many were repainted in the new tri-color scheme. And I believe some were in hybrid schemes, such as dark sea blue over blue grey over white as they left the blue grey as a stand in for mid-blue.

Oh, on the acrylics vs enamels debate: Tamiya acrylics airbrush smoother with less clogging and better durability if you thin them with Tamiya's own lacquer thinner. Of course, it does defeat one of the purposes of going to acrylics... Also Tamiya brushes horribly. Vallejo or Games Workshop is the best for brushing.

Dang sure going to buy one of these!......along with one of Crandall's decal sheets.....

Lets see.....Two P-61s......one A-6....and one Tamiya Birdcage Corsair.....kinda hoping nothing else I have to have is released this year....the 'ol hobby budget is already taking some hits....ha!

Happy modeling,

Jim

....the 'ol hobby budget is already taking some hits....

Tell me about it. I've got to get a 1/72 Saturn V, a possible F4U-1 (jury is still out as to whether I get this initial release or wait for the F4U-1A and -1D), the upcoming N1K2-J/Ja and whatever else strikes my fancy. Oh woah is my wallet. I'm relatively lucky in that while the P-61 is a great model, I don't think I'm gonna spring for this one. I won't buy any more Trumpeter/GWH/HobbyBoss kits until such time as I can build an accurate kit from the box without having to throw another kit price worth of aftermarket into it to make it look like it's supposed to. That's just my opinion based on experience with the aforementioned manufacturer's kits of other subjects. And, from what I can see of the 61 here, it's gonna need a little bit of help from the aftermarket folks.

I won't buy any more Trumpeter/GWH/HobbyBoss kits until such time as I can build an accurate kit from the box without having to throw another kit price worth of aftermarket into it to make it look like it's supposed to.

Go check out the new GWH MiG-29. That thing is phenomenal. One of the best model kits I have ever seen in my life. THe plastic detail is better than a lot of resin sets out there. That one is worth every penny. And their Devastator is pretty top-notch as well. Just waiting on their Yellow Wings boxing.

Matt :party0023:

Actually, the date of the switch over to the three-tone scheme on the Chance Vought F4U-1 is a little uncertain as to what BuAer No. it began with. Its origins may go back to the early experiments with three tone schemes done at NAS Norfolk (early iterations of the three tone camouflage application are informally referred to as the "Norfolk Scheme" as coined by Tommy Thomason). However Chance Vought was delivering F4U-1s to the Fleet (Marines) in three tone before the changeover to F4U-1A production.

Goodyear on the other hand, delivered FG-1 Birdcage Corsairs from the very get-go in the three-tone scheme.

I think Goodyear had a distinctly different method of applying the three-tone scheme from the method used by Chance Vought, but i'm having a tough time proving it conclusively. If my theory were proven it would be an easy way to differentiate between an F4U and an FG-1.

And as for Brewster, anybody's guess is as good as mine!

david

I have a GWH MiG-29 for sale if anyone's interested. I pounced and now regret it. I'll never build the silly thing.

Hi Jennings,

I'll take it if it is still available.

Radu

IIRC, birdcage F4u's started in blue-gray over light grey but many were repainted in the new tri-color scheme. And I believe some were in hybrid schemes, such as dark sea blue over blue grey over white as they left the blue grey as a stand in for mid-blue.

I suppose my first choice regarding the F4U is always the tri-color scheme if possible, but the earlier standard scheme is also perfectly viable. I guess it's down to the specific machine and time period one wishes to depict. (As a wonderful coincidence, I still have several bottles of the old Floquil military colors and Aeromaster Warbird enamels specifically set aside for "special projects" such as this, or any other Navy (or Marine), tri-color bird I may choose to pursue.)

The birdcage Corsairs were field modified painted darker blue over the gray blue- also white bars were added to the six position roundels in the original positions. (The fuselage stars were positioned much furthe back towards the tail and the four wing position stars were positioned further outboard in the later F4U-1As) makes for some very interesting and specificly hnique mounts for some well known pilots. It was a known fact that Greg Boyington flew the oldest Corsair on the flightline leaving the newer models for the "kids"

Jon

I was also a known American Indian artist who had a great love for the cleaning ease of acrylics. Add a little Gesso to the acrylic paint and it acts like oil with oil texture. This would help with the clogging of airbrushed. It works on my badger. But I do filter my paints through a piece of nylon hosiery anyway.