Mustang...1/18nth Scale

Ironwing

The nose after the first sand out (yea theres more) and primer to help find the problem areas. The spinner has been put in place to help check the transition contour between the spinner back plate and the forward most aspect of the cowl. The contour of the upper cowl, when viewed from the side should form a smooth continuous curve. The entire cowl must blend into the back of the spinner plate. This gets tricky considering those buldges have to blend in too.

IMG_1096.jpg

Looking at the nose from the side you can see the small step where the spinner back meets the fuselage. It has since been puttied out and sanded to fit the spinner rather than the washer previously in place. The cowl buldges have been refined and the rest of the cowl has been puttied to clean up edges and fastener detail. There is still alot more cleaning up to do with the sanding block, but its pretty close to final shape. The the exhausts and shrouds need to be done. Thats not going to be easy. and I still havent settled on how to do it.

IMG_1095.jpg

I couldnt resist putting the blades on to see how it looked. Ive said it before and Ill say it again. Jerry Rutman poured these from my master and did a gorgeous job. Thats it for this updat.

hope everyone is well,

Geoff

IMG_1102.jpg

IMG_1105.jpg

IMG_1107-1.jpg

IMG_1104.jpg

The flat top on the cowl is lookin good as well as the tunnel but a real man would have made the paper filters behind the breather plates!!

J

Patience my good man...patience. I saw I missed your calls. Spent the weekend opening the pool. I'll be in touch. One other thing about those air filters behind the breather plates. How do you keep the paint off of them when you paint the fuselage Mr Smart Ass seein as how the breather plate is all fulla holes?

Edited by Ironwing

Your workmanship is truly amazing, I am loving this build....thank you!

Anthony,

Than you very much. Your words are always kind and I'm glad you're enjoying this

Geoff

Inspirational, this isn't an ordinary build but a P-51 Seminar

Jim

Jim,

That's quite a compliment. Many thanks. If nothing else, hopefully it will serve as a tutorial for others. Many thanks

Geoff

Patience my good man...patience. I saw I missed your calls. Spent the weekend opening the pool. I'll be in touch. One other thing about those air filters behind the breather plates. How do you keep the paint off of them when you paint the fuselage Mr Smart Ass seein as how the breather plate is all fulla holes?

Ah yes,well old boy,one creates the filters in sutu as part of the fuselage and then makes seperate perforated covers,doesn't one? But then I wouldn't expect a mere colonial to know this!(said in my best clipped accent)

J

What a beautiful nose...

As usual, an amazing work!

Go ahead man...

Cheers, Dan.

Dan

Thank you for looking in and your kind words. Much appreciated Bud

Geoff

Geoff,

Not only impeccable workmanship but quite Inspirational.

you are tenacious...good too see you are enjoying it as WE all are.

Thank you for a great build / thread.

:clap2:

Maru

Your comments overly flatter, but thank you. I know your adoration of the Mustang...Im right there with you Bud.

Best

Geoff

Edited by Ironwing