Siemens-Schuckert D.III

scvrobeson

Hey guys. After finishing up the WNW Fokker D.VII, I decided to pick up another build, and started on the Roden Siemens D.III. it looks like a very nice kit, with a couple of glaring exceptions. The panel lines on the fuselage are grossly out of scale, and have to be filled in. The D.III was plywood covered, almost like the Albatross, so I have to knock back the lines. Also, the exhaust panel in the bottom is molded solid, so I'll have to drill out the vents to open it up.

I'm also a bit leery of the Roden decals, because of bad experiences in the past. I'm going to see what I can do though to make them work.

Pictures will follow soon, hope you all enjoy this.

Matt :party0023:

Edited by scvrobeson

Having just had some Roden decals disintegrate, I strongly recommend that you overspray them with a gloss coat before wetting.

Thanks Ron! I will be sure to give that a try. I'll give them a coat of Future before trying to apply them, I don't want them to explode on me either.

Guest Peterpools

Matt

WOW! Nice choice for the build. But a Roden kit and the B-25 ... you're sure going to one busy builder for the near future.

Looking forward to following as the kit has a ton of potential

Keep 'em coming

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Matt

WOW! Nice choice for the build. But a Roden kit and the B-25 ... you're sure going to one busy builder for the near future.

Looking forward to following as the kit has a ton of potential

Keep 'em coming

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Thanks Peter! Don't worry, I think I'll be okay. I've actually got something like 5 projects all going on at the same time, so I'm used to being busy. This thing should actually fall together, once the oil paint on the interior is dry. It's such a simple plane, that putting it together should be no big problems.

Hope you enjoy the build.

Well Matt, Seeing your previous builds I am so looking forward to this one as well. Good luck! :popcorn:

Thank you very much as always! I hope this build goes well. The kit needs a little bit of work, but Roden really provides almost everything in the box.

Siemens-SchuckertDIII009_zpsf4941e43.jpg

Siemens-SchuckertDIII010_zps33ca3d5a.jpg

Siemens-SchuckertDIII011_zpsab2e1120.jpg

Engine detail is really nice, and they include caps for each cylinder, so there is no ugly seam to worry about.

Siemens-SchuckertDIII013_zps4acc11aa.jpg

Single piece wings, always great to help alignment and make clean-up easy.

Siemens-SchuckertDIII014_zpsd4d873dd.jpg

Siemens-SchuckertDIII015_zps87579b0f.jpg

Big decal sheets, with pre-sized lozenge. Now the trouble will be making them work, since decals are always a weak point of Roden's kits.

First step was to fill in all of the grossly out-of-scale panel lines. Tamiya putty and wet-sanding to the rescue.

Siemens-SchuckertDIII001_zps376a6deb.jpg

Siemens-SchuckertDIII002_zps02b3c6f4.jpg

Siemens-SchuckertDIII003_zps5fc6deb7.jpg

Siemens-SchuckertDIII004_zpsbfff93e2.jpg

Then gave the interior a blast of Tamiya XF-59 Desert Yellow and then did the woodgrain with Raw Umber oil paint. The framing was done with Burnt Sienna paint to give some contrast.

Siemens-SchuckertDIII005_zps2c4b005c.jpg

Siemens-SchuckertDIII006_zpsd9f4057f.jpg

Siemens-SchuckertDIII007_zps0f03c07a.jpg

Siemens-SchuckertDIII008_zpsa08316c5.jpg

And a size comparison against the Fokker D.VII from Wingnuts. The Siemens is much shorter and rounder than the Fokker. Both small planes though.

Siemens-SchuckertDIII016_zpsd6c9dd8b.jpg

Hope everyone enjoys this build. I'm off of school this week, so I'm going to be doing a lot of building.

I'm dying to see some pictures when you can ... I stock Roden's WW1 aircraft and have been toying with building this particular one for some while now.

Grant

Thanks Grant. I do like this little plane, so hopefully the kit will go together well. Since building the Fokker, I've been slightly bit by the biplane bug, I also picked up a 1/48 Roland D.VI at a model show this weekend.