Siemens-Schuckert D.III

scvrobeson

Matt,

Great neat start.

I can't wait to see how this goes along..

Btw have you done any more marching etc..

Thank you very much. I have actually gotten a bunch more done, I just haven't gotten around to taking pictures yet.

No, no more for me. I'm past the age where I can do that, since I'm 22. 21 was the cut-off age. Now I'm just focused on graduating college, and getting my teaching credential.

Matt :party0023:

Matt,

Excellent first progress my friend.I'm impressed with your wood work for here interior.Keep up the good fight .

Highest Regards,

Gregory Jouette

Thank you very much Greg. Sadly, most of the wood work is hidden since the fuselage is so curved on the inside. But there is a tiny bit that can be seen, so hopefully that will still look good. The instructions are very confusing, but I'm fighting my way through it.

Thanks for stopping in and commenting, I'm glad you like it.

Matt

Nice start on the SS. D.III. Interior wood graning looks real good and nice work on eliminating the panel line trenches on the exterior.

Keep 'em coming

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Thanks Peter. Yes, the panel lines really did need to go away. The plane was built like the Albatross, so plywood panels butted up against each other, so very fine lines between them. So I need to get them removed a bit more actually to get it perfect. I will probably lightly re-scribe the lines to make it look right.

Glad you like the woodgrain, it was easy to do. The different color was just so it doesn't all look the same inside of there.

This is a decent kit of a rather interesting plane. After doing a large amount of research on this particular plane I started the Roden kit my self a while ago, and then picked up a newer kit I just had to build and put the SSD-III on back burner. The kit itself does have some glaring errors. One of the biggest is that the hand hold openings in the fuselage rear sides are switched to the wrong sides. (or basically upside down) In addition to the panel lines being a bit heavy, I believe they are not quite in the correct spot either. Have been thinking about restarting my build on this once I have my current project finished. I can show you some of the things I found that need fixing if you want.

Thank you very much for the tips. I'm one of those guys that doesn't freak out too much about accuracy, so I'm probably going to leave the handholds as they are. The panel lines though bothered me way too much to be left alone, so I had to fill them. Thanks for the nice comments though, it seems like a decent kit. Not extraordinary, but the only kit out there for this plane, so I'm going to work with it.

Thanks for stopping in

I've actually been back to work on this one, these pictures were from last week, but I haven't really progressed since this point. So I hope you enjoy them.

Fuselage got put together, and that actually went together perfectly fine. Then I remember something about being lulled into false senses of security.....

Siemens-SchuckertDIII017_zps197e5514.jpg

Siemens-SchuckertDIII018_zpsf951833b.jpg

Siemens-SchuckertDIII019_zps0b2eaeab.jpg

Siemens-SchuckertDIII020_zpsc172a206.jpg

Still nothing too bad after getting the tail attached....

Siemens-SchuckertDIII021_zps2ebaaf10.jpg

Siemens-SchuckertDIII022_zps400776d0.jpg

Siemens-SchuckertDIII023_zps8f45d7ca.jpg

And then it gets all kinds of screwy.... Anyone who has seen a build or review of this kit should know what comes next.

Siemens-SchuckertDIII024_zps403f1bd8.jpg

Siemens-SchuckertDIII025_zps7df133a6.jpg

Siemens-SchuckertDIII027_zps9dc54901.jpg

Superglue and clamps to get it together. Then two layers of Tamiya putty. Then two more of Mr. Surfacer 500, then finally a glaze coat of Mr. Surfacer 1000. Now just to primer and find all of the spots I missed the first time. I see this being a long and arduous process.

That's all for now. I hope that you guys are liking this build. I'm still enjoying it, even with the fit problems.

Thanks to everyone for reading in and commenting. It's a great help to hear from such talented model builders.

Guest Peterpools

Matt

Good luck and hoping all the filler and clean up comes out perfectly. Talk about a poor fit!

Keep 'em coming

• 3 weeks later...

So glad to see one of these getting built - one of the coolest First War fighters!

Regards, Richard

www.aviattic.co.uk

Thank you Richard! I agree with you, this is a really cool fighter, too bad it wasn't used much.

After working on this kit though, I kind of hope that Wingnuts will some day do a version of it, hopefully with better fit and construction order than the Roden kit. And better decals.

Matt

Good luck and hoping all the filler and clean up comes out perfectly. Talk about a poor fit!

Keep 'em coming

Thanks Peter. The fit really isn't terrible, it's just more of getting all of the surfaces smooth and level. That's where the problem lies. I honestly haven't worked on this for about a month, but I should plan to get back to it soon.