New, with some questions

CODY

Greetings...

I would like to begin by saying hello!

I am amazed at the quality of work here, I've browsed thu a bunch of threads and seen somethings that made me say no way!

I have dabbeled with 1/48th scale all my modeling career. but as age catches up with me I find it harder and harder to enjoy the fiddly bits of the scale.

So I guess I'm crossing over to the dark side. I do have some 1/32nd scale kits in the stash that I was keeping for this point in my life. But they still don't seem to be yelling at me loud enough.

So my thoughts have been WWI, mainly Wingnut stuff...

I've been contemplating the "SE.5" or the "The Pup".

So if may ask for suggestions on after market bits for these, it would be surely welcomed.

I've looked at some threads and see that there are a bunch of after market things, I know it comes down to how far I "Want to Go" but I would like to make a decent show piece of it.

I've horded a few books and such on several planes from the era, so that won't be a problem...

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to LSP

Having built both kits I'd say they are pretty complete out of box. You will need to select your preferred method of rigging and purchase that separately. i.e. photo etch rigging? EZ line, Bob's Buckles etc

Did some searching around...Guessing Wingnut's is the best place to buy?

Saw a few kit's on E-Bay, and about fell over!

Delivery time from NZ. doesn't seem to bad. Might make me do 2 planes at once on the order...

Lee...My girl (Piper) will sit with me for hours while I model...as long as I "Play tennis ball" with her! They are great companions.

Welcome Cody! :hi:

As for delivery from WNW, I ordered my Albatros D.V on March 11th, and recieved it March 20th, (I live in North Carolina, btw), damage free. Thoroughly impressed with the time! :thumbsup:

Ironically, my aftermarket coming from Minnesota, just shipped Friday, 22 March. Go figure. This will be my first foray into the world of WWI aircraft, and my second into the world of 1/32 scale, so I'm new to the big birds. Most of my previous experience comes from 1/35 AFV dioramas and HO model railroading.

The folks here are great and always willing to help. Since deciding on my D.V, I've found a great site dedicated to WWI aircraft. Since I'm unsure of the forum rules regarding posting another forums info, feel free to PM me and I'll send it to you.

:piliot:

Delivery time from NZ. doesn't seem to bad. Might make me do 2 planes at once on the order...

That would be my suggestion. The person taking your order is a long standing member here also, (Moeggo other wise known as Dave Johnson) and delivery is very fast.

Welcome ! You might want to think about the Fokker D VII for getting your feet wet, very little rigging on that and tons of options on paint schemes.

Cheers

Vaughn

For what it's worth, I've built a half dozen WnW kits now and found the Fokker D VII to be the most challenging. Its a great kit but may not be the best first off as you have to assemble it perfectly or you can build yourself into a corner. The Se5 was my first WnW's kit (great kit) and the Pup is also really nice as well.

Ron

Hi Jeff,

Welcome aboard.

If you get your WNW then you're in the right place to build it. I'm sure you've already seen the plethora of Great War models that are on-going or have already been completed here on LSP. Some of the world's most talented modellers share their tricks and tips here so don't be shy about asking questions.

I have n't seen anyone mention GasPatch turnbuckles yet so you could consider getting some of those sets too.

Also, if you are planning a diorama or even if you just want a figure to stand next to the finished model to give a sense of scale, have a look at the Wing figures available through MDC.

Whatever you opt for, have a blast and remember, modelling is fun :)

Saw a few kit's on E-Bay, and about fell over!

Lee...My girl (Piper) will sit with me for hours while I model...as long as I "Play tennis ball" with her! They are great companions.

Other than turnbuckles, I see no reason to add anything else. The Shire also sells great rigging including British flat rigging. I do love Pheon Decals. If you get only one Pup, get the Royal Navy one, because it has one in Cullishaw's Black Flight and Pheon makes the entire Black Flight for the Sopwith Triplane to give your pup a stable mate. As far as the Se5a I do have and like the Emhar Cullishaw, mainly for it's Master Caster resin details. It comes with both the early and late cowling corrections. If you use the early one, you can use the other on the Roden Se 5a Viper. The Emhar Se 5a is basically a Roden kit, which is a little more fidgety than the Hobbit one, but with care makes a nice bird. Besides even the WnWs can use a better resin cowl from Master Casters.

When building with your girl friend, give her a brush and painting guide and let her help. If going to the Emhar kit, go to the WnWs site and use their instructions and painting guide. Put away your airbrush, in WW1 everything was brush painted. I hope you both have fun. I feel it's not the quality but the fun. If I ever stop having fun, I will quit the hobby.