I'm in with WNW Albatros D. V!

whiskytngofxtrt

• 1 month later...

Hi, Dave!

I got stalled for a few weeks--school board elections, broken air compressor, but the election's over and the compressor's fixed, so I'll be back at it this weekend--I've closed up the fuselage, and I'm preparing to finish the seams before painting it up and weathering it.  I'm loving how incredible the detailed Mercedes engine looks, too.

Here's a fuzzy pic for now :hmmm:

101_1393.jpg

• 10 months later...

I've been off work for throat surgery, and in the meantime I've had time to return to some serious work at my workbench.

I shattered the decals on my wings when I tried to mask and spray shadows between the ribs.  I had to remove all the paint to get the decal bits off. :doh:   So, I resprayed the top of the wing, sealed with Future, and put the shadows on.  It's looking all right!  I know I'll need to tone the markings waaaaay down, so they don't appear so bright that they look like they're floating above the finish.

I also tack-glued the engine cover panels onto the fuselage, and hit the whole shebang with a primer to check the seams.  Filled a few short gaps with putty, wet-sanded, then primed again.  Just small gaps left.  Trying out Mr. Surfacer to fill those.  REEALLLY excited to be back at work on this bird!

101_1814.jpg

2014-10-01145835.jpg

2014-10-01225048.jpg

Oh--and check out this spiffy tray I rescued from packing material to keep my subassemblies safe:

101_1816.jpg

Thanks for looking in--I'm hoping to be posting more frequently again!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Spring Break!

Two weeks of vacation from the daily grind of preparing lesson plans, grading student work, meetings, conferences, and union work!

Two weeks to get something--ANYTHING!--on my workbench closer to completion!

So, back to the Albatros!

Working on the wings right now:

D0ABA334-6DFB-45B5-BA60-244E8319EE53.jpg

Getting small parts attached--radiators painted, drilling holes in hinge line, and reinforcing aileron connections with wire:

005B484E-9F8C-4ACE-84DB-DABF2A538256.jpg

CA545DB7-57F8-4A24-BBA4-199DDB851A02.jpg

Also doing the same with the elevators:

32330FBC-1CF6-429C-A904-4A35BAB518FE.jpg

• 1 year later...