HK Models 1/32 B-25J Bomber 7:19:13 All Done!

scvrobeson

Hi guys. Since I just finished up my Fokker D.VII, and my Me-262 will be done on Wednesday, I figured I should dive into my big Nationals project. Since this is the first Nationals I'll be able to go to since 2007, I'm really excited and wanted a big project to do for it. So I got the B-25 right around Christmas, and have been quietly squirreling away after-market for it ever since. This first post will just be concerning those bits, progress will hopefully begin later on in the week.

First up is a suite of Eduard photo-etch. I've got the cockpit, nose interior, and fuselage interior sets. I skipped on the rest because I didn't see a huge need for them, but I still may purchase the bomb bay set.

B-25JAveMaria003_zps0329ac30.jpg

Next in line is the HGW seatbelts for the Mitchell. Having just used these on the Me-262, I know that they are top quality, and will be great to use on this build as well.

B-25JAveMaria004_zps5a4c1ae6.jpg

Also grabbed the Eduard Brassin wheels, and wow. I've never seen wheels this good. They have everything you could want, and the package even comes with a little piece of sponge to help clean up any resin flash from the casting process. All for $15. Great job to Eduard.

B-25JAveMaria005_zps64d7a2d3.jpg

Also a comparison between the main-wheel of an Me-262 and the B-25.

B-25JAveMaria006_zpsfe53a20f.jpg

Finally was able to snag some of Harold's prop blade and crankcase set. These are great, and should just replace the kit parts with no fuss. I didn't think the kit blades were that far off until I compared them, and I really realized how much they needed replacement.

B-25JAveMaria007_zpsb26331aa.jpg

B-25JAveMaria008_zps2ca682de.jpg
Last in line is the Kits-World stencil sheet. HK in their infinite wisdom decided to produce a kit with terrible decals and no stencils. It really is the low point of the kit. Luckily, many decal manufacturers have stepped in to take over, and provide many other marking options.
B-25JAveMaria002_zps6c31207e.jpg
On the subject of markings, I figured I would let people try and guess which markings I'm going to be doing using a riddle. Since I'm a musician, this will be music related. Good luck.
Name the art that will sit on the nose.
Bach adored this woman, even though she was too old for him
Schubert followed suit, and famously wrote about her.
Even Saint-Seans got in on the action, putting her name up in front of his organ.
If you ask Bernstein, this girl is from the West Side, although he's on the wrong continent.
Although you're more likely to hear her name in Mass, she's quite the fighting lady as well.
Good luck guys, hope someone can get it.

Thanks to everyone, and hopefully you will all enjoy this journey of building the big Mitchell as much as I do.

Matt :party0023:

Edited by scvrobeson

Mmmmmm what a nice collection of AM parts - looking forward to this...

Quite a few B-25 builds going on right now - exciting !

If you haven't already seen it:

One of the guys on the other builds thought the brassin wheels were too flattened, I think I agree, but had a nice fix to that.

One of the others did an amazing bomb bay !!

Great looking start Matt!

Yeah I looked, and looked at the Brassin wheels/tires.......................that super flat spot (especially on the nose wheel) really gets pronounce after you cut the wheels off their pour blocks and smooth the flat spot.

I just added a piece of card stock to the bottom and filed and smoothed from there to follow the tires profile, and shrink the flat spot. I believe IRL tires that "weighted" would be considered almost going/gone flat.

Guest Peterpools

matt

Great choice of kit for the Nats and without question, it's going to take time to cover all the bases. For the nats, do the bomb bay as well.Looking forward to following along throughout the build and enjpoying it as you proceed.

Of course, if it's West Side Story, has to be Maria.

Keep 'em coming

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Mmmmmm what a nice collection of AM parts - looking forward to this...

Quite a few B-25 builds going on right now - exciting !

If you haven't already seen it:

One of the guys on the other builds thought the brassin wheels were too flattened, I think I agree, but had a nice fix to that.

One of the others did an amazing bomb bay !!

Thanks Thomas! I've seen those builds, I might try and address the tire problems. The bomb bay I think I can dress up with a ton of wiring, and using the MAAM photos.

There are a lot of B-25s going on right now, that's good that so many people are building this awesome kit.

Knowing you, Matt, this will be a great build. Looking forward to it !...........Harv :popcorn:

Thanks Harv! Hopefully I'll get enough work on this one done so that I can show it off at Yuba City as a primer for Nationals. There will be alot of work to be done, but I should have time to get it together.

Ave Maria

Thanks Paul! You've got it right. I just really like the Corsican based B-25s, and I've got some color photos of Ave Maria.

Question though, have you figured out how to make the wings removeable? I can get them test-fit okay, but getting them removeable is really tight right now.

Great looking start Matt!

Yeah I looked, and looked at the Brassin wheels/tires.......................that super flat spot (especially on the nose wheel) really gets pronounce after you cut the wheels off their pour blocks and smooth the flat spot.

I just added a piece of card stock to the bottom and filed and smoothed from there to follow the tires profile, and shrink the flat spot. I believe IRL tires that "weighted" would be considered almost going/gone flat.

Thanks Brian! I saw your post, I'll look into it. It does seem like the nose wheel is a bit flat, but I'm not sure about the mains. I'll look at it more closely once I get them off the pour blocks.

I'm using your build as a guide to find any trouble spots on mine.

Thanks for stopping in bud.

matt

Great choice of kit for the Nats and without question, it's going to take time to cover all the bases. For the nats, do the bomb bay as well.Looking forward to following along throughout the build and enjpoying it as you proceed.

Of course, if it's West Side Story, has to be Maria.

Keep 'em coming

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Thanks Peter. I knew that the West Side Story clue would be the giveaway on the markings, but I'm glad people were able to figure it out. I am thinking about adding the bomb bay, I'm going to see how much it would add to the kit, and see if most of it is stuff that I couldn't just add myself.

Hope I can get some progress done this week. It's been a rough start so far, so model building has been an escape so far.

Matt, when is Yuba city? I forget. Maybe I'll have my P-38 done by then...LOL..........Harv

hey Harv. I think it's the third weekend in July, but I may be wrong. I know it's sometime in July, but I would check their website to be sure. I'm getting ready for the Silicon Valley show this weekend, then I can focus on getting things done for Yuba City and Nationals over the summer.

Thanks man