Trumpeter TBM-3 Avenger

P Stoner

Going over the scheme on the Hornet that I plan to match the VT-17 Avenger. The insperation for the Hornet paint scheme was based on the F6F of VF-17, same group! The problem I've had since I first saw this Hornet was how odd the dark blue line drooped down so far! Also the lighter blue line stops at the splitter plate! I don't know why it was painted this way or what happened in the hanger that night! Would you fix this if this was your subject or leave it as it is? Does it matter?

f-a-18c-100years-25-jp-1102.jpg

Oh the things that keep me up at night!...... :mental:

Finally got the Hornet up to speed to catch up with the TBM. I changed the lines on the splitter plate and the stretch to the nose. Was bugging me and I took the liberties to change it and I think it looks better. Not too much weathering to do with the Hornet, but this bug has seen it's fare share of flight hours! Next is to finish the group markings and seal it up for decals. This has turned into a fun project. Something old and something modern and they both will look alike. Guess I better figure on getting a F6F kit to finish the set!

119.jpg

120.jpg

121.jpg

123.jpg

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

A little update on the twins! Been really busy with other things and trying to get these two in decals has been tough. Some pre wash shots here to show some of the markings. Hope to have them washed and on they're feet soon.

015-3.jpg

011-2.jpg

013-2.jpg

012-2.jpg

014-2.jpg

009-1.jpg

Twice the build, twice the fun, time and stress! But twice the reward!

Paul

• 5 weeks later...

Took a small break from the twins just to get talked into starting the F6F that the F/A-18C was painted as for the Navy's centennial series. So I guess I can't really call this a Trump TBM-3 WIP, or a Twin build, but now CV-12 tripletts!! I was very suprised and relieved that Trump's Hellcat ease of construction. Havn't finished the engine yet and was told this is where the problem lyes! I guess things don't line up. We will soon find out! Crazy to do 3 at a time!..... :wacko:

0152.jpg

0132.jpg

0015.jpg

0053-1.jpg

Didn't want to get much into the hellcat build but will show the painting and stenciling challenges! Come on Fightertown, 1/32nd scale centennials!

Paul

Here's the plane in question from what I can find! Not sure why this one was the 3 tone while all others I can find from VF-17 44-45 were all blue! Plus I've seen a couple builds that show kills, but who knows!

4733932781_192a30bf2b_z.jpg

945063_10152833842685174_477272776_n.jpg

Paul

• 1 year later...

http://s1097.photobucket.com/user/paul1104/media/TBM-3%20Build/DSC01151.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

This is more of a "blast from the past"! Than a update! Had to take a break from the Phantoms and used this time to try weathering with salt. May have went way to far, but they did get a bit dirty!!!

with my brandy new computer, I'm still having problems downloading photos off my photobucket. It will copy, just won't paste!!!

Paul

with my brandy new computer, I'm still having problems downloading photos off my photobucket. It will copy, just won't paste!!!

Paul, that's an issue with Internet Explorer 11. If you switch to a better another browser, you should be fine.

Kev