Tamiya Spitfire Mk.VIII

Daywalker

That is a beautifully-finished model Frank! One for the website I reckon...

Kev

Cheers Kev, you sure know how to flatter a guy LOL! Thanks mate.

Wow!...that is absolutely gorgeous Frank!

Beautiful piece of work.

Cheer's,

Jeff.

Thank you Jeff, much appreciated!

I'm with Kevin, that's one gorgeous looking Spitfire Frank! Well done indeed!

Cheers,

Wolf

Thank you Wolf! BTW, how's your Spitfire coming along? I think yours is the one to measure all others to.

That's beautiful! Wow, thats a nice Spitfire.

Paul

Thanks Paul!

That's a beautiful looking Spitfire, Frank. Got a pink one and a blue one to build but I haven't thought of doing one in the desert scheme so may just have to after seeing yours.

Carl

Greetings Carl, thanks for looking in! I am really looking forward to seeing those two, Is the pink one from the Baracudacals sheet? I have considered buying that sheet for those markings as it would sure stand out in the display case.

Like the others said Frank, that's a beautifully made and finished Spitfire, with just the right touch of weathering to make it look like the real thing.

Jean

High praise indeed Jean, thank you so much!

Absolutely gorgeous - bravo!

I'm really impressed and will sue your weathering as a guide for mine.

:goodjob:

By all means, please do! One thing I tried on this one and really liked the effect of was using a bit of packing sponge to apply a dark grey/brown to the wing roots. I think it works very well on the sand color, but not so much on the brown. I will have to try some more concoctions to get it right!

Congrats, that is one sweeeet Spit...

Much appreciated, thank you!

Frank, that is superb! Great job.

Thank you Guy!

Frank, That is one IMPRESSIVE, IMPECCABLY GORGEOUS. Looking Spitfire Mk VIII you have build. It looks FLAWLESS and the painting is exemplary .. :wow: She looks very RESPLENDENT. :wub: :wub: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Cheers Maru, I always enjoy reading your feedback- those emoticons always make me smile. Thank you for following along with the build! :piliot:

Hi Daywalker,

Another great model to your credit!

I like the top notch painting and subtle wheathering. Wing root chipping and exhaust staining are very appropriate.

To be picky, I have a couple of remarks:

I find the wheathering of the wheels a bit too "flashy" (I guess a sandy color was airbrushed - I would have used pigments instead).

Instinctively, I would have placed the sand/brown and blue camo hard separation line at the natural limits of the side/lower cowling panels. If not at the panel limits, as you did, I would have prefer a soft demarcation. Well, I haven't seen any picture of the actual aircraft so I might be wrong...

Cheers

Thank you for the feedback, I do appreciate it very much. Looking at the photos, the sand color airbrushed onto the wheels and tires looks much more start than it does in real life to be honest, perhaps I can get some photos in natural light which will be more realistic. As far as the demarcation line between upper and lower colors, my references show three distinct styles on these 31st FG Spitfires. The first follows the join for the lower cowl, the second is the style I chose, and on the third the upper colors nearly wrap all of the way around the nose, leaving a small teardrop shape of blue. Most of my references show the style with the demarcation line as a hard edge just below the fasteners, and since I could not find a photo of this aircraft to verify I went with this style. I do value your feedback very much, thank you for taking the time to write. :thumbsup:

beautiful

Thanks Rich!

Frank,

Outstanding result.

Its got everything I like.

The Med/North Africa scheme and I have a particular thing for builds in markings different to the country of manufacture.

Very, very nice Spit.

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Thank you Phil! I love the Med/North Africa schemes (especially on Spitfires) and decided to challenge myself to modelling an aircraft with markings other than the country of the manufacturer. That, and the USAAF markings look so good on Spitfires!

Wonderful, best looking variant of the best looking fighter, spot on fella! :piliot:

AGREED! The VIII with the retractable tailwheel just oozes good looks and class.

Frank, what an amazing build, my friend. I think its one of the best you've done !..............Harv :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :punk:

Thanks Harv, you are too kind! Thank you as well for following along with the build, I really do appreciate it!

Excellent build! Cheers, Tom

Thank you Tom!

Lovely weathering and finish!

Thank you Ron, it was a blast to weather. I love trying for that dusty, faded look found on desert aircraft.

Guest Peterpools

Frank

OUTSTANDING build. Beautiful work on your 'Spit, as the fit and finish are right on the money. Stellar work.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Frank

OUTSTANDING build. Beautiful work on your 'Spit, as the fit and finish are right on the money. Stellar work.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks Peter, glad you enjoyed it! Looking forward to seeing more of your Mk.IX!

Very nice Frank :goodjob:

It always gladdens my heart to see an extremely well made and finished Spitfire, and yours is no exception - Very well done indeed.

Derek

Cheers Derek, thank you for dropping by! Very kind of you to say, and I thank you very much.

Too cool! I really love the finish.

Thank you Tomek, I too am very happy with the overall finish on this one.

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

It's not good. It's not great.

It's bloody perfect! :yahoo:

I love this build Frank, it's a flawless example of how one can take an incredible kit and make it even better. As always, I am in awe of your detail, painting and finishing. It's a beautiful model of a truly beautiful aircraft.

Well done mate! :beer4:

Very nice spitfire indeed, I always liked the desert spits.

Cheers Murph...

Thank you Murph, your P-51D in the RFI section is absolutely incredible. I hope my P-51D turns out 10% as nice.

Have to agree with PhilB. Something about the Spitfire in MTO colours and the Star-and-Bar. Great choice. Very tidy work indeed. Cheers, Ralph.

Cheers Ralph, thank you so much! I have saved the photos of your Spitfire Mk.I, Mk.IX, Bf-109K-4, and P-47D Thunderbolt on my computer as inspirational work. The weathering effects you achieve are nothing short of miraculous. Very inspiring!