Blue Angels A-4F

Smokey

Need help from the experts on A-4 Skyhawks. I was thinking of picking up Trumpeter's #2267 A-4F Skyhawk kit and was looking at doing it as a Blue Angel one. Does anyone know of any positive and negative points on the kit? I know a person will probably need a new cockpit for it but was wondering what else a person would need in the way of AM products to do a Blue Angel one. I'm waiting on CAM Decals to come out with their set of decals for the aircraft this year. Thanks for any help. Dan

Smokey,

You will need to build the fairing for the boarding ladder that replaced the left 20mm and fair over the right cannon. You need to add the brake chute fairing under the exhaust. The leading edges need to be up, as they were bolted in place. You will also need to remove the flare launchers and ECM bumps. You will also need the cranked refueling probe. Also the Blues only had the center pylon installed...

Dan, the Hasegawa 1/32 A-4E/F kits include the parts for the Blue Angel, whether a Blues or regular line Skyhawk boxing.

Most people reckon you need the AMS intake parts whether going down the Hasegawa or Trumpeter route. The Has has raised panel detail which needs fixing, but is cheaper than the Trumpy, has a separate nosewheel part, and although ancient is still a great model.

Just wish Has would re-release the TA-4J, as Zotz have some cool-looking new decals on the way.

Tony T

Thanks Skyhawk486 and Tony T. for all the advice. I to wish Hasegawa would release a updated TA-4J kit. The only other question I have is and can someone answer this. I'm looking at getting some intakes for this and not sure which one to get. Harold at AMS answered my email and he has conflicting accounts on the intakes. He says that they did appear to up grade the engine so the 32062 kit is what I would need. Can anyone here verify this? Thanks Dan

Blue Angels Skyhawks

Here's my list of the visible differences:

- Superfoxes enlarged intakes and cranked IFR probe.

- Removed hump

- Removed combat system antennae (i.e. ECM)

- Removed guns but extended bullet-shaped fairing on the port side (containing retractable plane ladder)

- Removed pylons (except the centerline one)

- Removed flare launchers

- Bolted shut slats

- Added brake chute fairing

- Smoke generating tube near the exhaust

Moreover, there were also internal differences but I don't know why the most obvious ones are NEVER mentioned!?!

- No gunsight

- Quilted material fully covering the canopy inside

- Simplified control stick head (looking like the one of the A-4A but with the later cone-shaped trim switch)

So, in spite of the fact most changes are trivial ones, putting blue paint and yellow markings on a standard A-4F does not make a Blues plane!

Hope this helps

Eh eh eh! Nice shot Jennings!

Obviously, this does not extend to the clear section...! However, as you wrote it would have been more challenging to do aerobatics in IFR...

Lols.................IFR aerobatics. :lol:

Whats not funny is not getting to see any Blue Angels or T_Birds performances this..........or maybe even next year. :(

Edited by Out2gtcha

Lols.................IFR aerobatics. :lol:

Whats not funny is not getting to see any Blue Angels or T_Birds performances this..........or maybe even next year. :(

Actually, we called them "instrument confidence maneuvers"...IFR aerobatics..and they were required during the instrument training phase of T-37 and T-38 USAF UPT.

Cheers

Pete